Xbox 360 Controller or Logitech Rumblepad 2

Deeky

Gawd
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
982
I'm looking to pick up a wired gamepad for my PC today and I'm leaning toward the Xbox 360 controller if only for the ease of compatibility, but I'm also considering the Logitech Rumblepad 2. Does anyone have experience with both/either units? Are they fairly similar, other than the analog stick layout? Does one have a better direction pad with regard to feel and control - I'm buying the pad for Street Fighter 4 (I don't want to drop coin on a dedicated arcade fighter stick, I'm not that hardcore), but I'll also be using it with other pad-friendly console ports and whatnot.

Beyond that, does anyone have a suggestion other than the two units I've mentioned? My budget cap is approx $60, but I could see going a little higher if it nets me something awesome I haven't otherwise considered.

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Personally I own the 360 controller, but I also own a 360 so it seemed like the logical choice. The only games I play on the 360 are fighting games, like Soul Calibur 4 and Dead or Alive 4. The D-pad on the 360 controller is sub-par at best, and I do not recommend it for fighting games if it can be avoided. Folks have been pleased with the Sega Saturn USB controller which can be found on eBay.
 
I've considered it, but I'm hesitant to go with something lacking analog sticks. I'll likely end up using the pad for games other than fighters, probably console ports that don't fully take advantage of mouse/keyboard.

... mind you, the Saturn USB pad is only $17 CDN on eBay brand new (not including shipping, of course).
 
Question:

Found an auction for a "genuine original" Sega Saturn pad with free shipping to Canada, only $17. Would Windows Vista even recognize this thing ...? I've seen nothing but pure white hate for the 360 controller when it comes to SF4 and other fighters (directional pad is ass), starting to think I should get something a little more specialized after all. For less than $20, I won't think twice if I'm sure the damn thing will work when I plug it in.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Genuine-Original...lers?hash=item33535bb50f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
 
I bought a 360 controller. It works seamlessly and any game designed for windows live the controller just works without thinking about it. Was pretty simple.
 
I've usually owned PS1/PS2 controllers and used USB converters with success.

As of Vista, and games for windows having native support for the X360 controller I decided to pick one up, its great and instantly recognized by vista without a disk and those games use icons of the 360 buttons so you don't get confused too easily. I picked up a wired genuine one from dealextreme for $24 shipped. If you still choose to buy locally and wired go for the regular one, the one for PC only has a disk and you don't need it!
 
I own wired versions of both and tend to use the Rumblepad more often when the d-pad is needed for anything more than just inventory control or the like. 360's d-pad still sucks imo. For SFIV, I would go straight for the Rumblepad. I do tend to favor the 360 controller for racing games, it requires little to no setup in Games For Windows titles, and is of top notch quality though.
 
Well, after considering the field (including the Xbox SF4 Fightpads) I pulled the trigger on a Sega Saturn USB controller from Hong Kong (eBay) for $17 USD shipped. For less than $20 CDN, I can afford to take the plunge and hope for the best - I've read several reports that indicate the controller works without a hitch in Vista. It'll be my dedicated fighter pad. Everywhere the question is asked, the majority point to the SS USB controller when the subject is d-pads for fighting games ... and for such a bargain price, no harm in shooting for the best.

I'll likely also pick up a wired Xbox pad for multi-purpose use, if and when I require one. Though the d-pad is universally considered to be garbage, I've never had a problem with it playing on the 360. I can see it being a stone cold hassle in something like SF4, but otherwise I doubt it'll cause me any grief. The Rumblepad 2 is tempting, but I think I'll opt for the seamless compatibility of the Xbox pad, not to mention the analog buttons the Logitech lacks.

Thanks for the responses!
 
Jeez. I'm getting mixed messages from the guy I purchased the Sega Saturn pad from. He has sent me two separate messages over eBay, one claiming the unit works perfectly with Vista 64, the other stating the exact opposite. Mind you, he's in Hong Kong and doesn't speak very good english, there's an obvious miscommunication. Does anyone have any experience with the Saturn pad and Windows Vista 64? I can't seem to Google anything concrete on the subject.
 
I own both but the 360 controller for only a couple of days. The rumble pad I used for racing mostly. I am kinda of leaning towards the rumble pad for "feel" more but like others have said if you are playing games for windows its almost automatically set up for you. Both of mine are wireless.
 
i love my 360 wireless controller for everything but retro 16bit games. the Dpad is horrible to play mario bros with...
 
I have both and I like the Xbox360 controller better overall.

Unfortunately, it's still not perfect, the D-Pad is atrocious, you really only get up/down/left/right, the intermediate directions are really unreliable. But it's ok I guess, never really had a situation that needed the intermediate directions anyway. If you want to play emulated games which can be heavier on the d-pad, then you may want to stick with the logitech rumblepad 2.
 
Last edited:
I have a Madcatz Wired Xbox 360 Controller I use for racing games on my PC and also for flying Helicopters in Battlefield 2. I really like it for its simple setup and it has a great feel to me. but I will trust you when you say its crap for fighting games as I am sure fighting games need a really good dpad.

But if your looking for a controller for a fighting game and you hear the 360 controller is crap go to where you hear this and see what they are useing. I would think a Logitech PS2 style controller for the Pc would be something to look at, I have heard nothing but good about it.
 
Back
Top