Xbone Pass Through?

poison123

Limp Gawd
I gotta ask...is this a joke? The video looks like shit and you can see the artifacts coming in off the feed, and the sound is complete crap. And all this is in tv mode :/

Anybody got some suggestions? Along with why in gods name does it take 40+ mins to install a f'ing game?

i can wait to see the problems people are going to have when they run the feed from the cable box to the xboxone and then over to their receiver....

I see many of these issues are with cable boxes that are older many have device limits that limit the number of "hops" seen this in the avs forum.

I am running my 360 thru the HDMI in with zero issues and no lag issues it controls my media center PC.

Not having issues or video image quality issues and sound is proper once the beta sound setting was checked.

BTW Microsoft said they marked that sounds seeing beta because of some cable boxes. This all seems to fall on older HDMI cable boxes newer ones that don't have tons of hdcp blocking like FiOS boxes reported.

So to recap I run my 360 into Xbox one then to my pioneer vsx
-1123k receiver to my TV.

My games installs never up near 40 minutes not even close the system does install updates and installs it's possible slow internet is not helping. I do have a Comcast 100mbps business line and my entire home network is gigabit.

On launch night I installed all my games patches etc 6 retail games plus full killer instinct and crimson dragon and all the apps I use. Like I said I notice it DL the update for the games during install.

There is a mod post in the Xbox forum that suggested when installing games if slow to disconnect from internet install the disc then connect online.
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/...support/f/4269/p/1627224/4209336.aspx#4209336

Like I said so far my experience has been truly flawless even with kinect but I speak clearly and loud enough that it gets me.

Last edited:
I posted this in the Xbox One First Impression thread, but it seems to fit here better:

"The HDMI Pass through. In my opinion this is NOT a pass through. There is no signal coming through if the Xbox is off. This has been a big Pain in the Ass for me so far. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I had it configured like so - DirecTV - Xbox One - Denon Receiver - Epson 6010 Projector. I have a universal remote so having the Xbox turn everything on wouldn't work well. The issues I've been having is that I'll turn the DirectTV, Receiver, and Projector on, then say "Xbox, On" and it will still not give me a picture - turn the Xbox off and back on and it works - sometimes. I've tried turning the Xbox on before the rest of the items and sometimes I get DTS surround and sometimes I get 7.1 with no reasoning behind it - I've looked in my settings and it still shows DTS for the HDMI cable. I finally gave up today and put the Xbox One on it's own input. Maybe I'll wait for a few patches to come out and try again... Kind of disappointing. Anyone else having these issues."

I see many of these issues are with cable boxes that are older many have device limits that limit the number of "hops" seen this in the avs forum.

I am running my 360 thru the HDMI in with zero issues and no lag issues it controls my media center PC.

Not having issues or video image quality issues and sound is proper once the beta sound setting was checked.

BTW Microsoft said they marked that sounds seeing beta because of some cable boxes. This all seems to fall on older HDMI cable boxes newer ones that don't have tons of hdcp blocking like FiOS boxes reported.

So to recap I run my 360 into Xbox one then to my pioneer vsx
-1123k receiver to my TV.

My games installs never up near 40 minutes not even close the system does install updates and installs it's possible slow internet is not helping. I do have a Comcast 100mbps business line and my entire home network is gigabit.

On launch night I installed all my games patches etc 6 retail games plus full killer instinct and crimson dragon and all the apps I use. Like I said I notice it DL the update for the games during install.

There is a mod post in the Xbox forum that suggested when installing games if slow to disconnect from internet install the disc then connect online.
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/...support/f/4269/p/1627224/4209336.aspx#4209336

Like I said so far my experience has been truly flawless even with kinect but I speak clearly and loud enough that it gets me.

I'm running the latest box from Direct TV. So I doubt its that. There are honest to god artifacts in the stream the One is presenting, like its encoding it on the fly or something. Does not seem like pass through at all to me.

Unless Halo 5 proves to be the best thing since Pumpkin Pie I'll pass.
Killzone is pretty fun once you play on on a IPS panel wish mine was bigger.

I'm running the latest box from Direct TV. So I doubt its that. There are honest to god artifacts in the stream the One is presenting, like its encoding it on the fly or something. Does not seem like pass through at all to me.

You aren't the only one with direct TV box having issues. Most of the issues are box compatibility and fixable thru software.

For instance just to test I ran my media center PC direct into it and media center video was spotty my guess a AMD driver issue. But running media center thru the Xbox 360 is flawless from that same media center.

And playing the 360 has been flawless.

Many people using home run boxes are having great results to with playback.

Most of the problems are coming from provider boxes.

In not one to have a heart attack over stuff that software can and will fix

I'm running with a Comcast box with no issues. Quality is exactly the as if the DVR is directly connected to the TV.

So, I'm running Dish Network's Hopper into the back of my xbone and it's working perfectly. I'm not seeing any artifacts or sound issues. Plus, the HDMI-CEC controls are working really nicely. I rather doubt the xbone is doing any type of re-coding \ transcoding on the signal it's passing through.

I heard similar issues with the UK users, with their TVs operating on a different standard. I was going to ask if that could be it, but if you're using Direct TV, I would doubt that.

So, I'm running Dish Network's Hopper into the back of my xbone and it's working perfectly. I'm not seeing any artifacts or sound issues. Plus, the HDMI-CEC controls are working really nicely. I rather doubt the xbone is doing any type of re-coding \ transcoding on the signal it's passing through.

Then why are their artifacts like its re encoded then?

I've tried it with about 3 different sets of hdmi cables.

There's artifacts in the original signal too... The Xbox One is just passing those through...

Then why are their artifacts like its re encoded then?

I've tried it with about 3 different sets of hdmi cables.

You know all video is digitally encoded before getting to your cable box. Using Uverse heare and i see digital artifacts all the time. Mostly because Uverse uses some of the worst bit rates for their feeds (and I don't know what codec they are using). I am not getting anything more then I was expecting or any softening of the PQ, or what I have seen before watching the same shows.

What really would need to happen is someone taking a snap shot of a feed with the Xbone both in and not in the loop and do a digital comparison.

You know all video is digitally encoded before getting to your cable box. Using Uverse heare and i see digital artifacts all the time. Mostly because Uverse uses some of the worst bit rates for their feeds (and I don't know what codec they are using). I am not getting anything more then I was expecting or any softening of the PQ, or what I have seen before watching the same shows.

What really would need to happen is someone taking a snap shot of a feed with the Xbone both in and not in the loop and do a digital comparison.
Agreed. At this point, there's no reason to believe the Xbox One is changing the signal at all.

im running direct tv, latest box, into xbox one, no issues. fast, quick switching, good video quality, sound is good . the only thing i noticed is the volume is lower so i have to increase the volume which then makes the actual sounds in the xbox OS/dashboard even louder, cuz its like dual volume deal.. overall its going well.

I'm using a DirecTV HR24 HD DVR and when I run it through the Xbox One, I get picture degradation (very noticeable on red colors) and the audio is not synced to the picture.

Not going through the Xbox One, everything is fine.

I'm still having zero issues running thru HDMI

Mine is like this
Xbox 360 into Xbox one then into my pioneer vsx-1123k into my TV.
My 360 accesses my media center PC for TV and recorded shows and playing 360 games I've had zero issues with any of it.

I will note that I changed the HDMI setting in the 360 to standard because running expanded made the picture dark thru the pass thru. Now the picture looks the same as it did without the pass thru. But my TV can also control it's black level even in game mode so standard is the proper setting in that case according to the avs forum postings

Last edited:
Is it true that Xbox One must be on for PassThru to work? If it is in sleep mode it will not pass signal through?

Is it true that Xbox One must be on for PassThru to work? If it is in sleep mode it will not pass signal through?

Yes, the Xbox must be on to watch TV. It's better to think of it as HDMI In and not a passthrough.

yeah im not really crazy about how the xbox has to be on to watch tv... its nice when i want to jump back and forth but it kinda sucks if im not going to and i feel bad for the xbox being on all the time =/ wear and tear.

feel free to add me for anyone want to mess around on killer instinct and what not

xTweakeRx

DirecTV here and absolutely no issues watching TV. Picture quality is just as good as before.

I don't have one yet, but if Passthru doesn't work when powered off, I am not sure I would use the TV features. I want to use them. However, I will probably be waiting until next holiday season to pickup the Xbox One anyway.

I don't have one yet, but if Passthru doesn't work when powered off, I am not sure I would use the TV features. I want to use them. However, I will probably be waiting until next holiday season to pickup the Xbox One anyway.

The TV features, I'm not sure how much I'd use them. I just know that it won't be a deciding factor. I originally was interested in the Xbox One to play Titanfall, but after upgrading my PC, it's one less title I'm interested in playing on the Xbox One.

The people having problems: Are you using an HDMI switch after the Xbox?

Mine goes right from DirecTV receiver into Xbox One and directly from Xbox One to TV. No switches or anything else in the chain.

Mine goes right from DirecTV receiver into Xbox One and directly from Xbox One to TV. No switches or anything else in the chain.

I have my DVR going into the Xbox which feeds into a 4x2 switch. One of the two outputs going to a TV on a 2' cable. The second goes to another TV over a 35' cable. I have noticed that the audio will get out of sync on the second output. If I cycle the HDMI switch inputs, it will get back in sync. It will gradually get out of sync over the next hour or two. I believe 35' with two devices in between the cable box and TV is the cause.

You aren't the only one with direct TV box having issues. Most of the issues are box compatibility and fixable thru software.

For instance just to test I ran my media center PC direct into it and media center video was spotty my guess a AMD driver issue. But running media center thru the Xbox 360 is flawless from that same media center.

And playing the 360 has been flawless.

Many people using home run boxes are having great results to with playback.

Most of the problems are coming from provider boxes.

In not one to have a heart attack over stuff that software can and will fix

I have heart attacks over how long people take to develop and distribute a software fix, especially when there are people who say they don't have a problem. That just makes the companies think everyone else is just doing something wrong and there's not much need to look into it.

I was worried about the passthrough feature as well, mainly because of if my wife would accept watching tv through a video game. A month later, she cant live without watching tv through the xb1. The remote is only touched if she needs to turn up the volume very loud, or to watch a recorded show.
The xb1 has accomplished its objective, to be an accessory to the living room. Yes the console must be on, but all toy have to say is, "xbox watch tv" then everything else is in the background.

From what I've read you can run a hdmi splitter from your cable box to your tv and xbox if you don't want to use the tv features. I've gotten used to it and haven't had some of the disconnection problems with my comcast box. I'm planning on using a hdmi splitter in a different way though to split the xbox hdmi out to two separate tvs.

I have hdmi going to the xb1, and component going to the tv. I dont even need the component anymore since its so easy to use the xb1.

I had my cable going into the Xbox and then went back to having it go to the receiver. The xbox sucked for watching tv. Extra work, no extra function.

I've noticed a slight degrade to the PQ if I use the passthrough with my FiOS Cable box. Its very minor but I can see it.

Otherwise its the best way to watch TV. Frankly I love it. I wish however they would add a feature to control my DVR Menu recordings so I don't ever have to reach for the remote.

On my setup (Comcast), the picture quality is identical, although the Xbox's color scheme is a hair darker than just plugging the cable directly into my receiver/TV.
With the "TV Surround Sound" beta enabled I find the sound is actually better than normal. It does a better job with separating the channels and pushing LFE signals to the subwoofer.
I still very much wish it was a true pass-thru and would work with the Xbox off, but I've stated watching pretty much everything via the Xbox now. My cable box remote still works 100% fine, so I use that instead of the Xbox menus.

Back