X99 mATX.

Sky15

2[H]4U
I've only seen eVga and ASrock. Is there any news on Asus or Gigabyte?

I heard Asus is probably not coming out with one as they want the Z97 to be the platform to only offer matx boards.

I heard Asus is probably not coming out with one as they want the Z97 to be the platform to only offer matx boards.

They're not entirely opposed to it:

MarshallR@ASUS

I can say in 2014 there certainly won't be any more ROG boards. Apart from X99-A and Pro launching by ~Oct, we are researching what TUF users will need for a possible Sabertooth X99 late in Q4, but so far that's it.

During 2015 - when the X99 market size potentially increases as price of DDR4 and some new components come down - I guess we will re-evaluate adding Formula/Gene/BE boards to the lineup.

From the Rog forums: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51047-Will-there-be-Rampage-V-Formula-Gene-and-Impact&p=435077&viewfull=1#post435077

I'd spring for the eVGA if I was building a uATX X99 system today. ASRock is still showing their corner-cutting old self even with these enthusiast-level X99 offerings. ..3-pin fan headers, on a flagship tier part, in 2014? No good excuse to still be doing shit like that.

I'd spring for the eVGA if I was building a uATX X99 system today. ASRock is still showing their corner-cutting old self even with these enthusiast-level X99 offerings. ..3-pin fan headers, on a flagship tier part, in 2014? No good excuse to still be doing shit like that.

I never used an eVga board, but I heard the layout is wonky tho.

Only the CPU headers are PWM on the EVGA. The other headers may have four pins but they are voltage control only :mad:

I never used an eVga board, but I heard the layout is wonky tho.

It is. The RAM slots and socket are really close to the top PCIe slot. Top-down heatsinks are pretty much out of the question if you want to use the top slot and on video cards with a backplate (and maybe even without) the top card has to be removed to undo the bottom RAM clips.

USB 3.0 header is unusable with a card installed in the bottom slot. M.2 only takes short cards, ruling out most of the M.2 SSDs (and you have to disable one of the USB 2.0 ports to use it).

I could go on but suffice it to say I'm not too impressed. It's only redeeming grace is that it can run SLI with the second card in the bottom slot with the 5930K/5960X (and hopefully the 5820K with a BIOS update).

Edit: It's not a terrible board and it's currently the only option if you want mATX X99 with a uncrippled bottom slot but if you're not in a hurry I would petition Asus to release a Rampage V Gene.

Sucks about the eVGA headers not being true PWM...that one is also off the list. :(

Go with Asrock believe me its not that bad

We believe the history of reviews here at [H] showing that ASRock is a bargain bin manufacturer with a good smoke and mirror show in order to charge premium prices.

I'm all ready to build a new PC but if I can't find the board I want I guess I'll just wait and see if gigabyte and Asus do release a mATX x99.

Waiting sucks!

Sucks about the eVGA headers not being true PWM...that one is also off the list. :(

We believe the history of reviews here at [H] showing that ASRock is a bargain bin manufacturer with a good smoke and mirror show in order to charge premium prices.

That may have been true in the past, but in the past several generations ASRock hasn't been all that bad. Their Extreme6 boards have been rock solid. They are generally a good bit cheaper than the Gigabytes and Asus boards with similar specs.

I'd definitely buy one over eVGA. eVGA are some of the worst boards I've ever used. The only selling point for me is the warranty and you'll probably need it for that POS.

That may have been true in the past, but in the past several generations ASRock hasn't been all that bad. Their Extreme6 boards have been rock solid. They are generally a good bit cheaper than the Gigabytes and Asus boards with similar specs.

I'd definitely buy one over eVGA. eVGA are some of the worst boards I've ever used. The only selling point for me is the warranty and you'll probably need it for that POS.

That's a fair point. However, ASRock has too many inconsistencies and they are still blatant corner cutters..hard for an enthusiast to take their products seriously. Might be a good choice for a budget build, but the three major brands also offer that level of product. No way in hell. I'd ever use one for an X99 build. Learning about eVGA cutting corners with this one now makes it fair to say wait for an Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI uATX X99.

I was really hoping for Asus to come out with one but guess I might have to go back to a standard ATX setup. I have a 350D case and the 450D is not that much bigger but I can then use standard ATX setups. The question is then should I stick on Z97 or go to X99. I plan to SLI GTX980's when I can get a 2nd one. Also not to go to off this thread will the AX860i do SLI GTX980s or should I go for a higher PSU?

I sprung for the Asrock. Haven't had any issues with Asrock with the previous 2 builds. The eVga board looks like crap.

Tried a basic overclock with my 5820K on the EVGA X99 Micro and got 4.4GHz at 1.28-1.29V. Ran Prime95 (Blend test) for 1.5 hours with no issue.

Pic of setup

2014-09-26_Overclocking-test-setup_thermogram.jpg

The board got pretty warm around the VRM heatsink but it had almost no airflow over it either.

Yeah asrock has a history of having cheap boards. Their recent high-end offerings are actually pretty good (oc formula series for one), and the x99m killer is no exception.

It doesn't feel as "high end" as my x99 deluxe, but the board does not feel cheap and has yet to disappoint.

Edit: Review on bit-tech of the asrock board.
If going micro-ATX is a must, the ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer is a much better option than EVGA's X99 Micro in pretty much every way - it's easier to overclock, better at overclocking, better looking and has more features, all for the same price.

Last edited:
Back