X800XL and Arctic Cooler 5 v2

raptor 33

n00b
Just installed an Arctic Cooler 5 v2 for my ATI X800xl. The stock cooler, which did a great job of cooling the gpu heated up the case by almost 20 degree's over the norm. I have two 120mm case fans. One intake, one exhaust. Interior temps, with the stock cooler in place was 90 to 100 degree's. With the new cooler, even *with* the one inch gap between the exhaust vent of the cooler and end of the case, (due to the longer agp platform) ambient temps dropped to the low 80's so I haven't had the need to add my jury rigged exhaust vent. It's just not needed. The cards temp dropped to 35C to 37C at idle and 47C under load (Doom 3 for two hours :eek: ) the stock cooler temps were closer to the low 60'sC. The cooler *fits* AND works! Although after I installed it, it didn't *look* like it. PeePaw was right after all :) Just thought anyone who read a thread about this here earlier might be interested. Cheers.

Raptor I will send you a pm later and tell you what I did to mine. It almost looks like it came with the extention.
I guess you like the cooler. :)

Peepaw said:
Raptor I will send you a pm later and tell you what I did to mine. It almost looks like it came with the extention.

How about posting some pics for all to see? :)

Peepaw said:
This is my second! My first was for my X800pro, which would run, under load upwards of 72 degree's. With the AC, that dropped to the 50's and permitted o/c'ing with no adverse effects. Nice product. Looking forward to seeing your "enhancements" on the v.2 :)

I also have an AGP X800XL, you're saying that the Silencer doesn't reach the rear of the case like the PCI-E models? Does it come with an extension or do I have to do a ghetto mod? Thanks for the help!

Doesn't sound like it comes with an extension, but you don't need the extra length, according to the original poster. It's that good.

Here's what I did to mine.
Went to Wal-mart to the toothpick dept. :rolleyes: Found some toothpick dispensers made by Diamond Co. These are plastic boxes and come as a three pack. The plastic box when empty is just about the right size.
Empty box and glue the lid on. After glue has set then you have to cut the sides off of the box. I used a hacksaw with a very fine tooth blade for this. After you have cut one of the sides off the box ends up just about a slip fit over the end of the cooler exhaust. You can then measure the distance you need it to cover and cut the other side off.
I left mine just a smidge short and glued it to the grill that mounts in the pci slot, this way I can remove the grill with extention attached without removing the video card.
Cool thing is the Daimond toothpick boxes come in sets of three and each one is a different color. I used the clear one so it matches the cooler.
Hope that helps.

Peepaw

I work at Wal-Mart so thats awesome, hehe, 10% off! (I'm 18, lemme alone :p). Thanks for the tip Peepaw.

Peepaw said:
Here's what I did to mine.

pics.gif

_Korruption_ said:
Doesn't sound like it comes with an extension, but you don't need the extra length, according to the original poster. It's that good.
I lit a wood stick match and placed it outside the exhaust port of the case and the air flow put the flame out. The ensuing explosion and fire did damage the wall a bit, but the cooler put *that* flame out as well. :p hehe. Well, actually it was a paper match and the airflow from the cooler did blow the little bugger out in short order. No extension needed here. Now back to Splinter Cell Chaos Theory :)

I'm currently having some issues w/ my MSI X800XLPCI-E dual dvi card, I'm using win xp media center 2k5, on a MSI Neo 4 platinum SLI, amd 3000+ socket 939, 2x 512 corsair twin X 2.2.2.5 pro mem,hdtv wonder, black thermaltake armor case w/ 3 blue led 120 mm fans & 2 80 mm fans, antec neopower 480 p.s,& when i watch full screen hdtv or run benchmarks, while checking temps with everest home edition 2.00.3, it's reporting under computer, sensor, gpu temps of up to 146+ degrees F & gpu ambient temps of up to 128+F, it will not allow any overclocking w/o artifacts & will not complete aquamark 3 or 3dmark 05, hardlocks & causes memory dumps & random reboots of the O.S.the heatsink fan is what i feel is undersized & underpowered, since it's reminiscent of geforce 4 size, contacting MSI tech Support & or planning to soon,upgrade cooling solution of vid card to arctic cooling5 & arctic silver 5 to see if it corrects problem . I would SERIOUSLY recommend staying away from the msi x800 xl & going with something with a much better cooling solution on it, Anyhow just put the arctic cooling 5 rev 2 on order via frozencpu.com & was curious if it has a backplate on the back side of the card,(similar to the HIS Ice Q cards), that covers the memory or will i need ramsinks for the memory there? Thanks in advance :D

On my ATI version of the x800xl the arctic cooler 5 backplate is also the ram sinks.
That being said it is awfully close to the system ram slots.
I installed a new board yesterday and had to do some slight trimming on the backplate to clear the system ram clips.
Hope that helps.

Peepaw

the board i'm using as mentioned is the MSI Neo 4,(Nforce4) Platinum SLI, My case is the 13 bay black thermaltake armor,(awesome case),& my Vid card is the MSI X800XL PCI-E. I had originally wanted to get a HIS Ice-Q X800XL dual dvi,that comes with a UV reactive version of the Arctic cooling 5 but they don't currently sell them here in the states & wasnt currently available, when i built my new system,( that will soon migrate to the new dual core 4400+ cpu when the price of it comes down), Anyhow i noticed on the HIS card that there is a silver colored heatspreader that covers the ram on the backside of the cooler& was wanting to know if the stand alone cooler has the same ram heat spreader, thanks :D

Just bumping this to get someone to re-verify that the v2 silencer fits the x800xl AGP card.

Thanks!

Aaron_ATX said:
Just bumping this to get someone to re-verify that the v2 silencer fits the x800xl AGP card.

Thanks!
yes it will fit, but the exhaust end is a little short (1-2cm)
doesn't affect temps and you can extend it out like peepaw did if it bothers you

I'm sitll more partial to 1u server HSF's in copper with a set of ramsinks.
it does require some custom modding of the 1u heatsink to mount (mostly drilling holes)
and applying ceramique or epoxy to all the ramsinks, but still worth the money and time.!

Aaron_ATX said:
Does NewEgg not sell this or am I going blind?

It took me forever to find when I ordered mine from the egg.

Here's the item # off my invoice:

ARCTIC COOLING AVC-AT5 Rev. 2 72mm Ceramic High Performance VGA Cooler - Retail

N82E16835186129

Aaron_ATX said:
Does NewEgg not sell this or am I going blind?

please be warned, i think there is a problem with the current design of the fan controller in the HSF. if you search around the internet, you will find that some people are having problems with their fans just dieing after a little use. i have had two of these HSF and both have died. the first within a month. the second within a week.

i thought the first (from newegg) was just a fluke and didn't want to wait for warranty service, so i bought a second (from jab-tech) and the same thing happened. i wonder if newegg quit selling b/c of this? anyways, i now have sitting at home a zalman vf700-cu replacement waiting to go on my X800XL this weekend.

i really loved the design of the arctic cooling, but the fan dieing kinda sucks. so maybe i will try again on my next graphics card (i will be adding ram sinks with epoxy along with the zalman, so no more arctic cooling for my X800XL). i had one of the first arctic cooling HSF on my 9800, so i really do like them.

on a good note, both times the fan died, the temp of the X800XL (running underclocked at 300/390 while just doing 2D windows stuff) stayed at 55C. so hopefully my card is just fine. with the arctic cooling, the card did 450/550 easily. hopefully the zalman will be just as good.

thanks for the heads up, mine will be here friday....i'll keep a close eye on it.

Been using mine now for a couple days. It's quite the improvement over the stock cooler, and the fan is darn near silent.

Question: The little bar thats held in by the 2 screws, do the screws need to be sunk until they bottom out? I just sunk them until it tightened it up nicely as I didnt want to break anything.

Back