x800 == time to upgrade?

movingincircles

Limp Gawd
I have a Connect3d x800XL, is it time to upgrade???

Lots of games are getting slow, but I don't want to upgrade soon if I get a new card today...

I remember getting a Geforce 3TI and sooner or later Geforce 4 came out....

Lots of games are getting slow, but I don't want to upgrade soon if I get a new card today...

Don't wait for new technology to come out... its a never ending game. Unless of course you have insider knowledge to price drops when such technology is going to be released. Then it may be worth while to wait.

Hi. I also have a connect3d x800XL (since 2005) and I am ready to upgrade to DX10 as soon as I get vista next month. I am going to upgrade because that card doesn't have shader model 3.0 and I've had rainbow 6 vegas for over a year and i can't run it on this card, and I can't play Bioshock either. And forget Crysis. I can run COD4 at 1680 X 1050, but I have to turn all settings to low/off. The only new games that still run well for me on high settings at 1680x1050 are valve games, so if that is all you play then you might not need an upgrade yet. Otherwise, go for it. You can probably get a card for under $200 that will at least double performance.

I just upgraded my X850 XT PE 256 to a Sapphire HD 3850 AGP 512, and I'm very happy with the upgrade :) For comparison purposes, my old card scored 2157 on 3dMark06, and the new card scores 4737. If you have an AGP slot, and want to upgrade, check out the Sapphire HD 3850 threads in the ATI Flavor sub-forum here.

If you have a PCI-e card, then you have many more choices.

The only right answer is your own. It's the right time to upgrade when you're not satisfied with performance; obvious enough, right? We're on the heels of new G92 offerings, so if you're in no hurry, then you can see how they perform before you make a purchase. However, I know if I had waited to upgrade every time someone on [H] had told me to, I'd still have a GeForce 2 MX400. :rolleyes:

I threw in an old X800 Pro in a rig I had lying around and works just fine on medium/high settings for some Sins of a Solar Empire LAN. Granted that game isn't very taxing..

right now the 9600gt is the best bang for buck. its about 175-200 depending and it scores just a tad above my 3870.

From what i'm seeing it's either the 9600GT or the 8800GT, even according to [H]ard. It's basically if the 8800GT is under 200 bucks and the 9600GT is around MSRP. Even then I think the 8800GT is pretty close. Either way you can't go wrong from what I'm seeing.

congrats for not succumbing to geek envy and sticking with your card all these years...if we're talking about the 8800gt, 9600, and the hd3850, might as well throw the hd3870 in the mix, price just dropped to $189 at newegg and can run pretty much everything cept the "one game" at full clip.

as far as if it's the right time, it depends on what you're going for....nvidia has their high end cards rolling out in the near future, and ati has the 4000 series further down the line, but there's a lot of great midrange cards these days....

Back