X58 board question

domerocket

n00b
I have a friend that has built quite a few i7 systems. I am currently running an AMD PII 955BE and got a great deal on a NIB i7-920 D0.

My friend is telling me to just get either the ASRock Extreme X58 or the Foxconn Flamingblade. Both of these boards on Newegg are around $170 versus the Asus UD5 I was looking at.

Any recommendations on these boards? I do want to save as much money as I can but I understand that any 1366 board will be $$$

the gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r, asus p6x58d-e and recently the asus x58 sabertooth all look like great budget x58 boards. I'd say the ud3r is really impressive, but not a lot about the sabertooth has popped up yet (many ppl that have bought it seem really happy with it, saying it's a very solid board).

I'm leaning toward the sabertooth at the moment. Still doing my research as I do plan to over clock to at least 3.5

On eBay you can get asrock x58 boards for around $100 US. In april I opted for the $180 EVGA SLI3 board. That is the best board I have ever used. Including server boards at work costing 3 times as much.

I picked up an Asus P6T off eBay for $110 today. Should check out the deals there.

Last edited:
Tough choice between this, the Giga and the EVGA. They're all about $200 now.

Back