X570?

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking at buying a ryzen 3600/mobo and 3200mhz ram trying to decide on a motherboard to go with it.

All i keep reading is tons of folks on various forums, reddit and the like constantly suggesting b450/x470 boards instead of x570.

I have been considering getting the MSI x570 gaming edge while its on sale. Am i just wasting money on x570? Can you even get a decent overclock out of the 3600?

Should i get an x470 board instead with faster RAM? Save my money for hookers and blow? Or just get the x570 and hope when the 4x00 series comes out im glad i did?

Am i just too out of the loop or did motherboard shopping become a royal pain in the ass in the last few years?

The big draw of the X570 is PCIe 4.0 which is of little usefulness for video cards, but has somewhat larger gains with NVMe storage. Additionally, X570 boards tend to have better VRMs as they were designed with 12 and 16 core CPUs in mind. Even lowly budget boards like the Asus X570-P (I've seen as low as $135) can run a 3950x without issue. I think that would bode well for 4XXX CPUs compared to some X470. It really depends on which X470 board you're looking at though.

That MSI board for ~$190 seems to be a good mix of features and price. Kind of a strange set of features as it has the better Realtek 1220 sound, but uses a Realtek NIC instead of the Intel one.

For Ryzen 3600, literally any AM4 board will do (well, i wouldn't buy A320, but other than that).
And then it comes down to required feature set.
X series boards will have x8/x8 bifurcation of the x16 CPU PCI-E lanes, B450 doesn't have that. But if you run single GPU, it is irrelevant.
X570 has PCI-E 4.0 for all slots and M.2 slots. But unless you plan to use a PCI-E 4.0 SSD, then it is again irrelevant.
RAM compatibility is mostly solved these days, i had no issues running 4x16GB DDR4-3200CL16 with Hynix M-Die with X370 and 2700X.

Depending on your budget and CPU upgrade plans, i would either go for the B450 boards (MSI B450 MAX series for example), or if those X570 features are required, then maybe ASUS X570 TUF ?

For X570, I'd look at the X570 Aorus Elite and the X570 TUF as a starting point.

The entry level MSI boards this generation have been 'lacklustre' by X570 standards (don't get me wrong, they'll probably run a 3950X no problem), but they heat up a lot vs the Asus and GB counterparts.

If you already have an am4 motherboard then I can see saving the cost and not upgrading. If your building from scratch there is no reason to not go x570, who knows what will take advantage of pcie4 in the coming months, why not have it.

For X570, I'd look at the X570 Aorus Elite and the X570 TUF as a starting point.

The entry level MSI boards this generation have been 'lacklustre' by X570 standards (don't get me wrong, they'll probably run a 3950X no problem), but they heat up a lot vs the Asus and GB counterparts.
Aurus elite is perfect on paper but too many reviews about the board having quality control issues.

Maybe it's the ASUS TUF for me, then.

I like my Asus B450 and X470 more than my GB X470 due to the better UEFI menus and the GB X470's wonky BIOS.

That, and it seems my B450 can overclock my memory pretty well -- Running 3200 C16 RAM at 3200 C14.
My GB X470 can't even do XMP on 2 sticks or 4 at 3200 C16. These could both be chalked up to the different CPUs in the boards, but I don't know. The B450E could do XMP at 1.35V. This Gigabyte needs 1.4V to even run at 3000 mhz.

You guys in the US do have to contend with Asus's crappy service there though (i'm not in the US)

If you already have an am4 motherboard then I can see saving the cost and not upgrading. If your building from scratch there is no reason to not go x570, who knows what will take advantage of pcie4 in the coming months, why not have it.
That's what I was thinking. The price difference right now isn't really that high. The good x470 boards I was looking at are like 150 to 165 and the x570 tuf was $175.

Pcie4 does not interest me much but in 2 years I'll probably be glad I have it when fast ssds start getting cheaper. X570 will likely be supported longer. And if the 4x00 series is still am4 i should be fine with x570, if it is a new socket I'm still good to go for finding a used 3800x or better down the line.

B450 just feels like a dead end to me x470 is barely cheaper than x570.

I ended up ordering the TUF x570. It was actually my first pick when I first started looking but comparing it to other motherboards it looked like the vrm situation was not as good so I ignored it until I saw that one guy on YouTube everyone keeps quoting gush over how great it was.

Back