X570 VRM Waterblocks

joecop120

[H]ard|Gawd
Planning on making several sets of X570 VRM waterblocks.

Any suggestions as to motherboard models? Thanks!
-The only boards I've had my hands on are MSI x570-A Pro and Asus Prime x570-P

I'd say the
Asus Crosshair VIII, Strix-E
MSI Ace, Unify
Gigabyte Aorus Elite and Ultra

Those seem to be popular from what I've seen.

Efficiency wise, the high end boards don't seem to need it from some of the reviews I've seen.

Thermal-wise, the only ones "worth" making waterblocks for are the subpar MSI boards under the Tomahawk (including the Carbon), and maybe some Asrock boards.

For the rest of the boards, the stock heatsinks totally do fine.

Given that the underperforming boards are the ones with bad VRMs and low end in the first place, I don't think there'd be a big market for these waterblocks -- unless you want to do it entirely for the aesthetic.

If this is the case, then you need to target the really high end boards, because those are what the enthusiasts who are into water are going to be running - Asus - Strix E or higher, GB - Ultra/Master, Xtreme (heh), Asrock Taichi, MSI Tomahawk and up.

Probably a (marginally) better idea would be very low profile waterblocks for the chipset so you can do away with the fan...

This is throwing money away because the vrms aren't that important and don't get that hot in an actual case with typical airflow. Add to that these cpus don't overclock all that much and the power draws are ridiculously low even when overclocked past maximum safe FIT voltage levels.

Now if you are dealing with a 280w TDP chip like the Threadripper that would be a different story.

The thing is, it's typically going to be the higher end motherboards and the people that buy them which get water blocks. The lower end boards may need them more, but no one who buys an X570 motherboard for $160 is likely looking to add water blocks to an existing custom loop.

The MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE, X570 Aorus Master, ASRock X570 Creator and a few midrange offerings would be what I'd look to build waterblocks for.

I slapped a mono block on my crosshair hero vii and regretted wasting the money. The 2700x did not draw near enough power to stress them thermally.

The thing is, it's typically going to be the higher end motherboards and the people that buy them which get water blocks. The lower end boards may need them more, but no one who buys an X570 motherboard for $160 is likely looking to add water blocks to an existing custom loop.

The MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE, X570 Aorus Master, ASRock X570 Creator and a few midrange offerings would be what I'd look to build waterblocks for.
I don't know, I'd think I'd be more inclined to by one for a lower end x570 if I hadn't already dropped big money for the board in the first place.

I don't know, I'd think I'd be more inclined to by one for a lower end x570 if I hadn't already dropped big money for the board in the first place.

It makes more sense to do it that way. But that's not my point. The bulk of builds I see with custom liquid cooling are all typically higher end and feature higher end motherboards.

It makes more sense to do it that way. But that's not my point. The bulk of builds I see with custom liquid cooling are all typically higher end and feature higher end motherboards.
I think there is a feeling that unless you go high end on everything, it's not worth sharing online. Even here you see a lot of people spouting the need for high end custom loops when it's just not needed. Yet when you look through the "share your..." threads, you'll see see a lot of mid-range and lower tier builds taking place, fully functional, but not an E-Peen showcase.

I think there is a feeling that unless you go high end on everything, it's not worth sharing online. Even here you see a lot of people spouting the need for high end custom loops when it's just not needed. Yet when you look through the "share your..." threads, you'll see see a lot of mid-range and lower tier builds taking place, fully functional, but not an E-Peen showcase.

While that may be part of the issue, I don't think that's really what's going on. I think that the people who are looking for the slight advantage custom water cooling offers, or the aesthetics of it, are the most likely people to buy higher end motherboardseven if that motherboard has features on it that probably won't get used. The reason comes down to higher end motherboards usually have better quality VRM's and better UEFI BIOS implementations when it comes to overclocking and performance tuning. The guy who's going to build a custom loop like mine isn't likely to have opted for an MSI X570 A Pro motherboard instead of something more substantial.

While that may be part of the issue, I don't think that's really what's going on. I think that the people who are looking for the slight advantage custom water cooling offers, or the aesthetics of it, are the most likely people to buy higher end motherboardseven if that motherboard has features on it that probably won't get used. The reason comes down to higher end motherboards usually have better quality VRM's and better UEFI BIOS implementations when it comes to overclocking and performance tuning. The guy who's going to build a custom loop like mine isn't likely to have opted for an MSI X570 A Pro motherboard instead of something more substantial.
Actually that brings another point, why is it you can't get solid VRM and Bios options unless you buy a board with tons of extra crap you arguably aren't going to use? I know the price point would be higher than the stripper model, but you'd think there would be a market for a solid but basic board.

Actually that brings another point, why is it you can't get solid VRM and Bios options unless you buy a board with tons of extra crap you arguably aren't going to use? I know the price point would be higher than the stripper model, but you'd think there would be a market for a solid but basic board.

The VRM implementation is the most expensive aspect of the motherboard's construction and design aside from the chipset itself. You aren't going to be able to get a $160 X570 motherboard with an ultra-high end VRM because all of the associated hardware is simply going to push the board's price too high. Keep in mind that on a $160 motherboard, the X570 chipset is already over half the board's cost alone. As for the BIOS options, it's a matter of the voltage controller and clock generators used on the lower end motherboards not being capable of finer adjustments or the same operating ranges as the higher end hardware is.

I didn't really think there was a big "need" for X570 VRM blocks unless you purchased a board with poor VRM that is :p

Back