x570 overclocking ram, cpu temps erratic 10 degree variables

orijin

Weaksauce
I am currently running an x570 Asus hero viii motherboard, 3950x with corsair dominator RGB ram.

Before overclocking the ram my cpu would probably have variables of 39-43c.

After overclocking ram to ranges of ~3000-3500mhz I noticed my CPU temps would rapidly jump between 40-55 in a matter of seconds while idle. It would show 42 for a few seconds then 51 for a few seconds and then back to 45 and etc. Is this normal? Using a nzxt 360mm aio for cooling.

What program are you using to monitor your temps? If you using anything other then Ryzen master you will get readings like that. It something to do with how other programs poll the CPU for readings cause it too spool up in speed.

Completely normal operation for an AMD 3000 series CPU to fluctuate in 6-10C temp ranges when monitored with something like HWInfo64. The CPU spikes in temp because the software is polling, the software is running so the CPU is not exactly idling now is it.

I am currently running an x570 Asus hero viii motherboard, 3950x with corsair dominator RGB ram.

Before overclocking the ram my cpu would probably have variables of 39-43c.

After overclocking ram to ranges of ~3000-3500mhz I noticed my CPU temps would rapidly jump between 40-55 in a matter of seconds while idle. It would show 42 for a few seconds then 51 for a few seconds and then back to 45 and etc. Is this normal? Using a nzxt 360mm aio for cooling.

I would say the spikes in temps are normal. My 3900XT does the same thing at idle, from 32 to 50ish. I noticed that its just some OS process that uses up the cpu and that spike in power causes it.

Back