MSI Releases New Threadripper X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
MSI has been having an excellent year (or two) when it comes to building and designing enthusiast motherboards, and I have to hope this is an extension of that trend. The X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC looks like another MSI board worth checking out. Hopefully we get a review soon.

MSI, the leading gaming motherboard brand, is proud to announce the all-new X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC with the launch of new high-end AMD’s flagship Ryzen Threadripper processors. Built on the SocketTR4 platform, featuring up to 16 cores and 32 threads, the new Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU is capable of scoring over 3000 points in Cinebench, showing its true colors as the new ultra-premium desktop processor.

Pricing on X399 boards is insane. The cheapest ASUS board is $399, so I wonder what this one will be?

There is a whole lot of very high end engineering and design...and power needed for this X399 platform.

I'm sure this has been covered ad naseum elsewhere, but x399 is one helluva highjack by AMD. Does Intel switch gears on naming conventions, or do they push forward and muddy the hell out of search results?

Hmm, I was SUPER excited until I saw the AC WIFI was just a bundled PCI-E card... thats sad...

Now if Kyle or any one can get anyone at MSI to confirm the status of MSI's x399 support of ECC RAM.

Will a not from MSI Headquarters be good enough for you?

Sent: Monday, July 31, 2017 12:53 PM
To: MSI REP
Subject: X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Does this motherboard support ECC RAM?

Kyle Bennett
Editor-in-Chief
HardOCP.com

HI Kyle,

According to HQ it does support ECC RAM.

Thanks

With the other X370 boards that "support" ECC by disabling the ECC functionality I am not sure it answers it for me..

Last edited:
Hmm, I was SUPER excited until I saw the AC WIFI was just a bundled PCI-E card... thats sad...

Who connects a computer like this via WiFi?!?! :D (ok, I'm partially joking) Honestly though if I'm running something with this many cores/threads, I want everything else to match, and would want at least a solid 1Gb connection to my LAN. At least in my case, something like this would be doing several things at once, many of which could be consuming a lot of bandwidth internal to my house anyway. (like playing a game, while serving media, while hosting another game, etc.) I render a lot of audio too, which I then dump onto other machines in the house.

I'm not saying my work load is like most peoples' but I do see the need for network bandwidth, latency and stability going up at least partially with higher thread count. Not 1:1 of course, but...

I honestly don't need it, but its really useful for LAN parties and interruptions to lifestyle like moving etc.

I'm with you. It can in fact come in handy, and it would also be better if it was on the board, unless they have some upgrades coming down the pipe for a better one or something. Also, for any other more typical board with previously typical core counts, I could see it being even more useful. However with a board like this, and the workloads that I would personally toss at it, I definitely think wired is the way to go.

Back