• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

X3440 crunching power

Mindflux

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2011
Messages
251
I've got an old dual Opteron 875 systems that's getting long in tooth. Was thinking of putting together a little 1U X3440 system to replace it. However, obviously I want to step up in computational power.

Can anyone provide thoughts on this? I can't find a benchmark between the two processors that use the same version benchmark tool. So I don't know how to accurately compare them.

One would think a nearly 6 year old CPU would be easy to best. But I need to be sure a single X3440 clobbers two Opteron 875s to justify this.

Any thoughts?
 
lol.... Maybe in 8 threaded tasks thge X3440 will pull ahead, or single threaded tasks. You have to remember, the X3440 is the lowest clocked X34xx xeon with HT, and it does have a decent IMC in it.
 
lol.... Maybe in 8 threaded tasks thge X3440 will pull ahead, or single threaded tasks. You have to remember, the X3440 is the lowest clocked X34xx xeon with HT, and it does have a decent IMC in it.


Yeah I'm just working within the confines of a budget. It doesn't seem like in general I'll see much benefit, so perhaps I'll keep plugging along with what I have now until more budget is available.
 
seems like a sound plan to me. Sandy Bridge is out, which is a bit faster in just about any task, and AMD is about to launch their Bulldozer lineup, so it's definately an exciting few months up ahead of us :D
 
seems like a sound plan to me. Sandy Bridge is out, which is a bit faster in just about any task, and AMD is about to launch their Bulldozer lineup, so it's definately an exciting few months up ahead of us :D

That's true... though I'm sure I'd be waiting for a supermicro board that fits in a 1U rack enclosure that supports the new SB chips.
 
Hrmm. Looking at passmarks the two opterons are slightly faster than a single X3440.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X3440+@+2.53GHz

Vs

2x http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=[Dual+CPU]+Dual+Core+AMD+Opteron+875

Opterons are faster in a dual CPU system. 5400+ vs 5300+ for the X3440.
The Opterons are far slower. That benchmark shows half the speed compared to the X3440. The figure on the site is for both CPUs in the dual Opteron setup, not an individual one.

The X3440 is going to best the Opterons in every way imaginable. You're looking at about double the performance, if not more depending on the application.
 
The Opterons are far slower. That benchmark shows half the speed compared to the X3440. The figure on the site is for both CPUs in the dual Opteron setup, not an individual one.

Hr.. Yeah it does say Dual CPU Opteron 875. I was thinking of that in Cores.

It does seem like the X3440 is considerably faster. I wonder how that would translate into real world performance.
 
Right, but I have *2* Opteron 875's. (4 cores total). So I'm taking the score of 2750 (or whatever) X2 = 5400ish vs 5300ish for the X3440.

I don't know how else to get an accurate comparison. Obviously I don't want to spend money for little/no gain.
Like I just said, the score on that benchmark is for both Opterons.
 
Likely about ~2 months after the fixed SB chips come out. Supermicro takes their sweet time (sometimes) with new platform releases, and it takes about that long for retailer to get the barebones / motherboards anyways...

EDIT: this is based off of the AMD G34 range from Supermicro, I'm less clear if that is the same for supermicro's intel solutions.
 
Hrm, well waiting for a Sandy Bridge Xeon, SM board that supports it and does SASII might be a while.
 
Back
Top