X2 : will slower versions be released ??

ufster8

Weaksauce
I was wondering if slower versions of X2 (1.8-2.0) will be released soon or at all? If so I would be more inclined to buy one.

im sure there willl be lower end ones sometime.. havent really checked though.. just makes sense... that would be a killer processor for fairly cheap :cool:

I'd say probably, but they'd need to churn out many more dual-core processors than they currently do for that to happen.

An X2 1.8GHz under 275$ is what I hope for because I need multitasking and speed for single threaded apps like games don't mean much to me these days I couldn't care less about 10-15 fps more.

ufster8 said:
An X2 1.8GHz under 275$ is what I hope for because I need multitasking and speed for single threaded apps like games don't mean much to me these days I couldn't care less about 10-15 fps more.

I'll be praying for the same thing, cuz you know it'll overclock to 2.0 at least ;).

Man, if they made a dual core for under 300 w/ full size cache I'd have it right away. Even if it meant at 1.6ghz or 1.8ghz, as I'd OC it anyway.

Probably not until they have more production capacity, but you can count on it happening eventually.

Too bad those X2s are so expensive now.

remember s939.. it was originally just the FX, then 3500+.. then 3800+, the 3000+ and 3200+ didn't come around till much later

If it's about production capacity I can understand, but what happens to all those chips taped out that can't hit 2.2 or 2.4 GHz, or can they all hit 2.2-2.4 GHz? Maybe AMD is stocking them to sell later, I don't know.

AMD's already made it pretty clear this was going to happen with statements at a recent show. You don't have to worry about it, there will be lower-cost X2s. Also, the whole line will come down in cost when the quad-core chips come out, AMD needs to replace the whole single-core line with DC chips, and Intel knows they have to do the same thing. It's all one big transition after another.

I think AMD is wanting to make some money on these chips, they won't be doing OCers any favors by releasing any cheaper dualies anytime soon. Maybe they won't release cheaper full cache duals a64s at all, maybe instead they will put out dual semprons instead?

well, if it really is the end of single core chips (unlikely), sempron will definitly move to dual core.

usfer: i know the ones that have one faulty core will simply have a core disabled, and 1/2 the cache if it's a toledo, and sold as an E6 venice (opposed to the E3 that it normally is)
this will probably account for all the cores that don't make the mhz cut too :D

Bah, AMD just doesn't have the supply at the moment to release lower speed dual cores, and is also the reason why the prices are so high.

definitly not until 65nm, unless amd plans on being really agressive and making a ~400mm² die :eek:

That's the amount of space between the transistors on the die, not a date approximation :)

true, but i have no idea when 65nm will show up :p

maybe late next year? kinda early, but possible

Meh by then Conroe will be out and I'll have flip-flopped again.

But then again I didn't jump on the A64 bandwagon when they first came out. It'd been less than a year since I built my own PC, that's far too short of an upgrade cycle for me. Maybe the X4 will be for me. For now I'll have to be content scrounging the money for my X2 upgrade.

heh, it's difficult to plan that far forward, isn't it?

i think the only upgrade i really would need to make in the somewhat near future is video card.. s754 fo life yo! :p :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
definitly not until 65nm, unless amd plans on being really agressive and making a ~400mm² die :eek:

At that point we are almost at the “whole computer on one chip” stage.

What will we do with out the cool towers and all the mods ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
s754 fo life yo! :p :D

S754 has no upgrade path and their boards can only do a 410HTT. How weak is that? I mean come on, how could you like a platform that performs just as well as a 939 system but for an overall cost of $100 less? You should be ashamed of yourself to see value in something like that.

BillR said:
At that point we are almost at the “whole computer on one chip” stage.
i did hear "rumor" of amd putting a video card into their cpu's.. in like 2008 or something. i doubt it'll pan out, but it's fun to think about.

baron: :( :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
i did hear "rumor" of amd putting a video card into their cpu's.. in like 2008 or something. i doubt it'll pan out, but it's fun to think about.

baron: :( :p

I think it is quite possible. They already have the integrated memory controller. If AMD can get the 65nm process cranking really good, i think they try really hard to get a GPU built in side-by-side with the onborad memory controller. It would really help make computers cheaper.

robberbaron said:
S754 has no upgrade path and their boards can only do a 410HTT. How weak is that? I mean come on, how could you like a platform that performs just as well as a 939 system but for an overall cost of $100 less? You should be ashamed of yourself to see value in something like that.

I'd love to see some ram that could do DDR820 with reasonable timings and didn't cost $34062723679648768.99 for a gig. And, my DFI onl;y goes to 460HTT, so that's DDR920... I can only imagine the use for this. lol :D :eek:

Project_2501 said:
I'd love to see some ram that could do DDR820 with reasonable timings and didn't cost $34062723679648768.99 for a gig. And, my DFI onl;y goes to 460HTT, so that's DDR920... I can only imagine the use for this. lol :D :eek:

Well DDR2 can do it but I only have 184 pins for my memory bus :(

Oh well, that's what M2 is for!!

Ill be waiting until next year to get my dual core cpu probably!

The only thing I can see fit to buy as of late are hds and thats it. I got a all around good system so no need for upgrades for awhile :)

Microsoft would probably have to change their licensing before either AMD or Intel will release quad core cpus. The last time I checked, consumer licenses for windows were only good for 2 cpus.

flenser said:
Microsoft would probably have to change their licensing before either AMD or Intel will release quad core cpus. The last time I checked, consumer licenses for windows were only good for 2 cpus.

Wouldn't that piss you off if you had to buy 2 XP Pro licenses?

BigDaddy85 said:
Doubt it.

So they're just going to throw away all the dual cores that run only at 1.8 or 2.0ghz stable? It would certainly be expensive if they just kept selling them as BW Venices after disabling one core.

BigDaddy85 said:
Doubt it.
(cf)Eclipse said:
i know the ones that have one faulty core will simply have a core disabled, and 1/2 the cache if it's a toledo, and sold as an E6 venice (opposed to the E3 that it normally is)
this will probably account for all the cores that don't make the mhz cut too :D

i actually saw one earlier, an E6 3800+ :p

flenser said:
What about people with the Pentium Extreme Edition dual core chip? They have *gasp* four CPUs in Windoze! Oh noes!

Microsoft has stated that as long as all your cores are on one chip, it doesn't care. I doubt they were looking ahead to quad core just yet, but that's their position as of yet.

All your cores are belong to Microsoft.

Dual cores don't impress me as much as chips that have unlocked multipliers. How about AMD bringing out X2 chips with completely (up and down) unlocked multipliers? That would be nice to see again.

freeloader1969 said:
Dual cores don't impress me as much as chips that have unlocked multipliers. How about AMD bringing out X2 chips with completely (up and down) unlocked multipliers? That would be nice to see again.
That will be called Athlon FX2 and cost $2000 a pop :D

robberbaron said:
So they're just going to throw away all the dual cores that run only at 1.8 or 2.0ghz stable? It would certainly be expensive if they just kept selling them as BW Venices after disabling one core.

Given the OC range of the winnie and the E3/E4 I dont think that AMD is going to drop the speed any further on the X2:s all their cores today do 2.2 easily so why should they. However they might release a 2.2 S2 (Sempron dual core) with cache disabled to 256/core or so.

But this does NOT mean we wont see price reductions. As soon as the market becom a bit more sated with X2:s we will see the prices drop on the 4200 and the 4400 and probably a 5000 and a 5200 pretty soon. However I must say that I find it extremly unlikely to get a X2 below 350$ within the next 1.5-2 yrs. If we look at what a 3000+ costs today its still around 150$ and 2*150=300$ add another 200MHz and the Dual factor and U will land on about 380-400$ when the dust has setteled.

Back