X2 - Un-Capped

VoloxitySF said:
you're a brave, brave man. +4 exp for you...
DUDE ABSOLUTE HILLARITY...

honestly what good is 2.8 going to do for you? I am just curious as to why you would hack up a 500 dollar processor for a 600mhz increase?

*I modified my post not to seem like such a cack*

Om1kron said:

honestly what good is 2.8 going to do for you other than a better 3d mark score for us to ooooh and aaaaah at?

I am happy with my sad 2.6 with my 4400+ on air. 31 degree's idls and 41 full load

Oh boy... aren't you [H]ard!!! I mean who would want more performance out of their hardware!!?!?!??!?! ... those people must be just stupid!!! :rolleyes:

I just love it when rejects thread crap because they don't know how to get maxOC. Ignorance is often funny, but one can grow tired of it if too much time is spent on forums.

orkan said:
Oh boy... aren't you [H]ard!!! I mean who would want more performance out of their hardware!!?!?!??!?! ... those people must be just stupid!!! :rolleyes:

I just love it when rejects thread crap because they don't know how to get maxOC. Ignorance is often funny, but one can grow tired of it if too much time is spent on forums.
I like to pull the most out of the hardware while keeping it within the rated voltage.

orkan said:
My point was if you spent 500 dollars on a processor, why would you risk ruining it for .6 more ghz? I mean honestly what advantage do you get out of that?

Does windows boot faster? Or is it just the satisfaction of being the first to do it and getting a nod out of your peers for it?

I am all about squeezing the performance out of my hardware, WHEN ITS OUTDATED! If I was so worried about overclocking my X2 I would've went with an Opteron instead.

I just love it when rejects thread crap because they don't know how to get maxOC.
I'm going to chop my cpu in half today and throw some blood on it, do a rain dance and shake a bag full of monkey bones then superglue it back together. Throw it in a vapo chill and overclock to 12ghz omg unheard of! o_O

Didnt know you could do that did ya!

Did someone here ask you to uncap your processor? I don't remember seeing anyone ask you to do that.

I also don't see anyone here asking for your opinion on wether it is good or bad.

All I see is another troll, crapping on a thread that is meant for those of us that DO or HAVE uncapped them.

Read the forum rules you insect. If you cannot post something helpful, then NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR IT.

Get lost, troll.

orkan said:
Did someone here ask you to uncap your processor? I don't remember seeing anyone ask you to do that.
I dont remember asking that originally. I just asked what the benefit was honestly! Sally Sue and yourself got upset.

All I see is another troll, crapping on a thread that is meant for those of us that DO or HAVE uncapped them.
I asked a question and was flamed instead of having my question answered.

If you cannot post something helpful, then NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR IT.
Got it, read forum rules, rules state I cannot ask questions I can only follow what everyone else does for uber overclockedness. Rad ok, kthx everyone for your insightful input as to why uncapping it for .6 GHz serves any purpose.
Especially when you could've gotten an opteron 170 in the first place running 1.5 to it and oc'ing it to 2.8 and left it's cap on therefore not risking ruining a 500 dollar processor.

It wasn't a hard question to answer much less justify. I dont understand why everyone has to be so damned defensive.

Om1kron said:
Got it, read forum rules, rules state I cannot ask questions I can only follow what everyone else does for uber overclockedness. Rad ok, kthx everyone for your insightful input as to why uncapping it for .6 GHz serves any purpose.
Especially when you could've gotten an opteron 170 in the first place running 1.5 to it and oc'ing it to 2.8 and left it's cap on therefore not risking ruining a 500 dollar processor.

It wasn't a hard question to answer much less justify. I dont understand why everyone has to be so damned defensive.
You only risk ruining it if you don't know what you're doing, and 600mhz is quite the increase.

Om1kron said:

honestly what good is 2.8 going to do for you other than a better 3d mark score for us to ooooh and aaaaah at?

I am happy with my sad 2.6 with my 4400+ on air. 31 degree's idls and 41 full load

^^^ that was your original post. You post like that and you better EXPECT to get flamed. You come in this thread, that till now has been nothing but productive, and start asking what the benefit of 200Mhz more is? You cannot possibly be so foolish as to NOT expect to get flamed for this.

You come in a thread that I started, and start slinging attitude and sarcasm around... you will get some back.

You say you are running 2.6ghz. Why not run 2.4 and run at a lower voltage? That way you can have your precious low temps! I mean, according to you, 200mhz isnt anything... so drop that thing back to 2.4ghz and see how cool you can run it then! <<< your thinking is FLAWED to participate in an un-capping thread. PERIOD.

We uncap to gain the MOST POSSIBLE performance out of our cooling solutions. ie: to achieve the maximum stable overclock we can. <<< this is simply NOT POSSIBLE with an IHS. If you dispute that... then you obviously havn't a CLUE what you are talking about, and surely have not followed any waterblock discussion thread over the last 6 months.

Don't like it? DONT DO IT!!!

Mean time, keep your anti-un-capping garbage in someone elses thread.

Borgschulze said:
You only risk ruining it if you don't know what you're doing, and 600mhz is quite the increase.

Well thats cool and I completely understand that. It would net me like a whopping 200 marks in 3d mark 05.

But for longetivity purposes is it even worth it?

And also I might add that I am mainly aiming my question towards the AIR COOLING crowd.

Om1kron said:
Well thats cool and I completely understand that. It would net me like a whopping 200 marks in 3d mark 05.

But for longetivity purposes is it even worth it?
Yes, it cools your CPU better.

I don't play 3D Mark.

ariae said:
CSi owns joo!

I was wondering how long the thread would go before totally degenerating. At least we made it to page 7 before the bickering started. I needed a laugh, thanks!

I popped the top on my CABNE 144, week 30....which is more or less irreplaceable, so one wrong cut and poof, gone. Why? My temps went down from 38C load to 31-32C load. Athlon64's are rather sensitive to temps for overclocks. For example, with a bad mount, 50C load temps brought prime to fail instantly, but at 32C load, it primes all day. I'll take a higher overclock and lower temps with nothing more than careful work.

Plus, making your processor topless gets all the ladies. I'm fighting 'em off with a stick, now.

DSC00641.sized.jpg

it does!

My gf took me out for a steak when I uncapped mine. :) (or maybe it was aniversary?) lol :D

hehe! nice work... I just did the same... but only a lowly 3700... but it's a gem! runs at 2.86ghz on default vcore. :) I hear ya on the calming yourself down part...lol!

ihs23.JPG

ihs25.JPG

ihs28.JPG

it's an IHS poppin party, lol.

Nice job! It would have been a little cleaner if you had used the single edged razor that was pictured with mine. (original 1st post on thread)

But it looks like you got it done!

Thanks! I used what I had on-hand. :) I think it came out pretty clean as compared to some others I have seen.. I think the screw driver method prolly makes for the cleanest job., cut one side and pry it open (gently). Anyways. The hardest part was holding the blade, because those carpet blades don't have a nice backside to push on. lol. My pingers were hurtin' afterwards. lol. I was just glad I have "tough" hands... a few calices there and there.

I have removed the IHS on my FX-53, a 4000+ SD and my 4400+ and have usually gained around the 80-90Mhz mark. The load temps have fallen substantially on the X2.

A secret I stumbled across is an adheasive remover called Solvoplast. It softens the IHS sealant to a putty consistancy and reduces that chances of damaging the substrate considerably. All you do is soak it for 24hours and then take your razor (I use a double edge Gillette straight razor) to it and done. It is CPU safe as I have not had any of the CPU's fail in the year I have done this. All you need to do is rince them in isopropyl alcohol after to remove the Solvoplast.

The only problem is no-one can seem to find it outside of Canada. I have found it at safeway behind the counter by asking the Pharmacist. it is about $16 CAD for a quart and a quart would do about 300 procs :)

Edit : After watching the video that was made of removing the IHS with the screwdriver, I really have to put an exclamation point on how easy the solvoplast thing is. I can remove an IHS in 30 seconds. I have also heard of people using a product called Goo-Gone to aid in softening the sealant.

rysher said:
people always claims how good of an overclocker they are and messes up w/ what you have come up with, and makes you inferior as you think you can't overclock as well as these people. i've burnt a couple CPU's this way, when i was still new to Oc'ing and listening to people who brags of what thye've accomplished.

My 2 cents, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PEOPLE. All they do is talk and put it on their SIGNATURES!!! Can't even show evidence of what they've done except talk and brag....
IF YOU DON'T SHOW IT, YOU DON'T HAVE IT, IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT...STFU!!!

...but, ummm, he posted screenies. He did show it and does have it. ntm that it's bad form to blame your screw ups on others. You can blame them for the motivation and for giving you the bug, but you pushing too hard with what you have is on you.

btw, I've never nuked a CPU and my last 3 are all stable with 50% overclocks and have been for over a year apiece. Would you like pics?

whoa! wow... hrm... the "submitted by" part and the line under it has some strange grungy background on the white behind the lettering.. is that supposed to be normal? or it may be small errors in the jpg conversion.

WHAT YOU SEE ABOVE IS A FAKE.

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE THAT EVEN PEOPLE WITH EVIDENCE CAN LIE

(made by me :p)

revenant said:
whoa! wow... hrm... the "submitted by" part and the line under it has some strange grungy background on the white behind the lettering.. is that supposed to be normal?

ya that's suppossed to be there

ok - looked like it might be errors in the jpg encoding.. er, something like that.. anyways

Just about anything can be faked these days... it's so messed up how peeps put energy into making fake shit. lol. it's not even bragging rights when you know you don't have the hardware or the numbers you're posing... really lame.. (I know you were doing that as an example tho)

revenant said:
ok - looked like it might be errors in the jpg encoding.. er, something like that.. anyways

Just about anything can be faked these days... it's so messed up how peeps put energy into making fake shit. lol. it's not even bragging rights when you know you don't have the hardware or the numbers you're posing... really lame.. (I know you were doing that as an example tho)

I know and that's why I did it. I still have a p4 s478 3ghz and it does its job damn well. I wouldn't buy a new pc right now if I had $5000. But anyway that's not the point lol.

The point is that to not believe people just cause they show you "pics".

This statement goes to people that have thoughts like these:

rysher said:
people always claims how good of an overclocker they are and messes up w/ what you have come up with, and makes you inferior as you think you can't overclock as well as these people. i've burnt a couple CPU's this way, when i was still new to Oc'ing and listening to people who brags of what thye've accomplished.

My 2 cents, DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PEOPLE. All they do is talk and put it on their SIGNATURES!!! Can't even show evidence of what they've done except talk and brag....
IF YOU DON'T SHOW IT, YOU DON'T HAVE IT, IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT...STFU!!!

DFI Daishi said:
wow, what sparkling and informed discourse.

so, instead of taking his word regarding what voltage he is pushing in order to get what clock, we are supposed to take your work about having burned out components, without your noting any of the conditions that you subjected your computer to........great......

it's sounding rather like you did something dumb to your own stuff back in the day, and you broke some things, and now whenever someone shows their results after having done a mod which anyone with half a brain should know is risky, you jump up and down saying that they didn't really do it, it didn't really given them such good results and no one should do it for themselves. great.

that doesn't sound too much like 2 cents to me. i'm thinking 0.5 cents at best.

shut your god damn pie-hole, because anyone who reads or looks at this activity should realize that it is a risky mod to do. your jumping and shouting doesn't add anything usefull to the thread. don't tell me that you didn't know that pushing high voltages was risky if and when you did it. everyone who tries it should know that they run the risk of cooking something if they do it.

@orkan: got anything to say about the boys over at xtreme brushing your results using storm, whitewater and apogee aside without having pushed the Vcore themselves? comment on the reporting around 50C temps when they pushed it with only 1.52V and 2.7GHz?

superkdogg said:
...but, ummm, he posted screenies. He did show it and does have it. ntm that it's bad form to blame your screw ups on others. You can blame them for the motivation and for giving you the bug, but you pushing too hard with what you have is on you.

btw, I've never nuked a CPU and my last 3 are all stable with 50% overclocks and have been for over a year apiece. Would you like pics?

Yozzman said:
Here is a movie how u can remove a IHS:

http://www.desertshooter.nl/IHS2.wmv
Borgschulze said:
Wow, I thought I was in a Japanese Night Club or something...
Hands down, most exciting movie of the year! Loved the music! :eek: :eek: Now that's the kinda thing that makes me wanna ignore my nephews attempts at "getting the unk to go dirt bikin'/play baseball/nature stuff" and sit on my butt playing with chips!!

revenant said:
it's an IHS poppin party, lol.
LMAO! I was thinkin' the same thing. I'll have to post pics when I get mine too...

You know some of us have been on here for long enough to "get to know other folks." And those folks are trusted without hesitation. That makes things easiest for me. It's sort of like a review of something that we all know sucks/sucked (Geforce 4 MX) getting a rave review on "BigBubbas1337" website.

Trust the folk you know! :cool: :cool:

@orkan: got anything to say about the boys over at xtreme brushing your results using storm, whitewater and apogee aside without having pushed the Vcore themselves? comment on the reporting around 50C temps when they pushed it with only 1.52V and 2.7GHz?

What rad where they using?

What pumps?
/etc /etc

Bad mount?

How were they getting temps?

If anyone is near Huron, SD... stop by DakotaPC, Inc sometime, and I'll show you my system in person. :)

Big Fat Duck said:
i only need 1.4 volts to run 4400+ at 2.64

Hot. What's your temps like with 2xP95 and RTHDRIBL runnin'? Also, what're you cooling that little beast with?

Just uncapped my proc and it droped the temps down 10 degrees C full load. Droped it 1.5 at idle. Im running at 27 degrees C right now installing xp 64 with the proc slightly overclocked.

Back