x2 8800 GTS cards + 600watt PSU =?

Ops

n00b
Got the other card on the way, Was wondering if my Enermax 600 watt psu could withstand 2 evga 8800 GTS's and the rest of my system...

Rig:

E6600 @ 3.2ghz
Evga 680i mobo
Corsair xms 2 gig
x2 320gig seagates

Plus i have running (2) 120mm and (2) 90mm fans.

The PSU is not new, its around a year old iam guessing.

thanks. :)

It'll work for a while.

Then over time it will overheat and blow up.

lol i hope your not serious. Would there be any signs of the power supply not handling this much power?

I am serious.

It'll probably work fine, but since the load will be on the upper scale of what the PSU can do, it'll likely quit after a while.

You'll see your +12V drop below 5%. That'll be the first sign it's going.

Unless you overload the primary. Then your efficiency will just drop until the rectifier on the primary pops. You really can't measure that, though.

So good luck. :)

You'll be ok. I've seen more complex systems with higher power requirements running on 600watt PSUs that were perfectly fine.

EDIT: On second thought, I agree wioth jonnyGURU. I had used a Enermax 600 watt PSU in my system with a similar power load as the original poster and it didn't work for too long.

I am serious.

It'll probably work fine, but since the load will be on the upper scale of what the PSU can do, it'll likely quit after a while.

Unless you overload the primary. Then your efficiency will just drop until the rectifier on the primary pops. You really can't measure that, though.

I'm fairly certain that is what happened to my silverstone st60f i had before with the setup in my sig minus the 150GB raptor.

I dont think 600 is enough really because the PC&C silencer 750 i replaced it with feels like its getting pushed around with that fan kicking in high gear :mad:
Woooooooo:mad:

i dont like it so much i want to get a different PSU

600W should be totally fine.

My hx620, which is the pimp of pimp 600s(which is just a seasonic) will run 8800GTXs in sli, so basicallly a 600w psu will run gts's with no problem.

I am serious.

...anything this guy says I would listen to. He's blown up more PSUs than pretty much anyone else here, I feel confident in saying.

Were I you, I'd be getting the credit card out right about now.

...anything this guy says I would listen to. He's blown up more PSUs than pretty much anyone else here, I feel confident in saying.

Were I you, I'd be getting the credit card out right about now.

Yeah I agree. I had an Enermax 600 that was made a little more than a year ago and I blew it up. I had a similar load on it that the poster does. Mine lasted 5 or 6 months and that was it.

I'm fairly certain that is what happened to my silverstone st60f i had before with the setup in my sig minus the 150GB raptor.

I dont think 600 is enough really because the PC&C silencer 750 i replaced it with feels like its getting pushed around with that fan kicking in high gear :mad:
Woooooooo:mad:

i dont like it so much i want to get a different PSU

That 750 Silencer should be able to handle your load with no problems whatsoever. I am running an overclocked 6600 and 8800GTS as well as two separate watercooling loops (two pumps, two rads) 3 HDDs and a bunch of fans and my 750 coasts along without breathing hard.

How hot is your case interior? If the case air that is used for cooling the PSU is exceedingly hot then no PSU will be happy. Stick a probe in the case, by the PSU intake and get a reading on your case air before you swap out what is an exceptional PSU. :)

600W should be totally fine.

My hx620, which is the pimp of pimp 600s(which is just a seasonic) will run 8800GTXs in sli, so basicallly a 600w psu will run gts's with no problem.

But YOU'RE not running two 8800GTX cards with it, right? You're talking about the set up Corsair uses for shows. Like I said, it'll do it for a week straight no problem. Maybe four or five week long shows, even running 24/7. But I wouldn't want that power supply after a year's time.

That 750 Silencer should be able to handle your load with no problems whatsoever. I am running an overclocked 6600 and 8800GTS as well as two separate watercooling loops (two pumps, two rads) 3 HDDs and a bunch of fans and my 750 coasts along without breathing hard.

Well, maybe two X1900's uses more power than one 8800GTS, and you're probably right. The thermals in the case are probably such that more heat has to go through the PSU.

But YOU'RE not running two 8800GTX cards with it, right? You're talking about the set up Corsair uses for shows. Like I said, it'll do it for a week straight no problem. Maybe four or five week long shows, even running 24/7. But I wouldn't want that power supply after a year's time.

Agreed. I used a Antec Neo 550 temporarily to run a dual processor Opteron 254 system with two 7900GTX's in SLI with a couple of Raptors in RAID. It wasn't something I did for very long though. I used that setup that way for a couple of days until I procured something more appropriate.

Well, maybe two X1900's uses more power than one 8800GTS, and you're probably right. The thermals in the case are probably such that more heat has to go through the PSU.

I'm sure that two 1900s pull more power than a single 8800GTS, even overclocked to 675MHz (the e6600 runs at 3.6GHz), but his rig can't be pulling more than 450-500 watts during, say, a gaming session I'd guess. That is well below the max continuous of a 750 Silencer. I just hate to see guys spend money solving a problem the wrong way.

With two pumps and an overclocked CPU and GPU, while benchmarking or stress testing, my 750 runs quietlly. It's not pushed at all and that's why I am guessing his case may be overly hot. I had an V1000 case and getting the cooling right in that case took some doing.

Anyways, you have a great site Jonny and thanks for running it. Anyone who wants some excellent PSU info, I recommend you head on over to http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php . There is also an excellent forum attached and I guarantee you will learn more about PSU's than you could imagine. Jonny, along with his cohorts, does some excellent reviews and any questions regarding power are promptly answered in the forums.

Thanks for giving the cohorts credit. They're horribly underpaid and are rarely properly recognized. :D

I agree with JG 100%

if you are dishing out all that money to buy high powered video cards, why take a chance trashing your system with marginal sized or quality units ?

especially when JG has so many excellent reviews on better choices to run such a rig?

if you want to really save money, drop down on the GFX too

High quality 600 watt units may take the beating for awhile, but sooner or latter the stress monster will say hello :eek:

Can we agree that a 700/730 Watt (cant remember what the wattage is) gamestream would allow you to run 2 8800GTS's safely?

Gamestreams have ripple if I remember properly. I recommended them a few times and got shot down for it. ;)

I am running everything in my sig with a Corsair HX620 (minus the WC gear). It's been 6 months now.

The GXS has out of spec ripple (all psu's have some ripple.) at high end. I don't like it for just that reason.

Try the Corsair HX 620, or Silverstone Olympia 650.

Just get a PC P&C 750 Silencer and be done with it. The peace of mind and incredible performance are worth the extra $40.

Just get a PC P&C 750 Silencer and be done with it. The peace of mind and incredible performance are worth the extra $40.

That's an excellent power supply. Until recently it ran my machine in my sig and now it powers my server.

It really is. I got mine fairly cheap used. The previous owner had stripped the sleeves and then decided he wanted a bigger unit, plus he didn't like the copper color, so he sold it to me for $125. :D I resleeved it and am very happy with the thing. Absolutely solid rails and I have a fairly robust system that is overclocked pretty high when I bench. I just can't see saving $40 and then living with a PSU that isn't rock solid. In the big scheme of things, an extra $40 on the PSU is nothing and the dividends are huge.

It really is. I got mine fairly cheap used. The previous owner had stripped the sleeves and then decided he wanted a bigger unit, plus he didn't like the copper color, so he sold it to me for $125. :D I resleeved it and am very happy with the thing. Absolutely solid rails and I have a fairly robust system that is overclocked pretty high when I bench.

I just can't see saving $40 and then living with a PSU that isn't rock solid. In the big scheme of things, an extra $40 on the PSU is nothing and the dividends are huge. I stick with PC P&C exclusively now because I have never, ever had any kind of power related problem when I had one installed. They work perfectly right up to and past their max continuous and as a plus the resale value is high.

Why am I seeing posts about resale value in relation to computer parts? Resale value is NOT something to consider when dealing with computer parts. It's nice if you can resell something when you are done with it, but we aren't talking about cars here. We are talking about something that becomes worthless much faster.

Why am I seeing posts about resale value in relation to computer parts? Resale value is NOT something to consider when dealing with computer parts. It's nice if you can resell something when you are done with it, but we aren't talking about cars here. We are talking about something that becomes worthless much faster.

Why talk about resale value? Why not? If you swap parts out a lot and enjoy playing with different gear you either have to have very deep pockets or be able to get something worthwhile for your "lightly used" gear so as to limit the damage to your bank account when you buy your next new gadget.

If you are looking at buying a premium priced PSU then it is nice to know that you can recoup some of your investment when you find that your PSU is no longer up to your needs. I ran a PC P&C 510 for 2.5 years but as my system grew I rrealized I needed a larger unit. I was able to sell the 510 for $100 and pick up the 750 used for $125. The 750 needed sleeving but what a great deal and I was able to upgrade for only $25. Great resale value and an excellent deal made this a painless move.

I always consider resale value when I buy a chip as well. Getting an e6600 for $235 is an awesome deal in my mind and I bet I can sell it, as a known good overclcoker, for $180 or so if I choose to pick up that q6600 at $250. If I had bought the e6600 at $480 then it would hurt a lot more to sell it.

Back