X2 4400 or 4600?

Are you OCing? If you are, the 4400+ is the way I'd go, but if you're not, the 4600+ is the way to go.

My vote is for cache over MHZ. Especially when the difference is so slight.

You can always overclock the mhz, but yer never gonna get that cache.

I bit on the X2 4400+....I was gonna be strong and resist the urge until Conroe but seeing a dual core proc that I had coveted for less than I paid for my Opty 148 was just too much. The force is weak in me. :(

joemama said:
I bit on the X2 4400+....I was gonna be strong and resist the urge until Conroe but seeing a dual core proc that I had coveted for less than I paid for my Opty 148 was just too much. The force is weak in me. :(
Yeah, I pulled the trigger on that 4400 as well. It's pull was too strong!

I ordered mine two days ago along with the Asus nforce 4 590 SLi wifi mobo and OCZ 2GB 667MHz Memory. if I had given the option to change I would still stay with the 4400+ cause you can always overclock the core but ou can never get the cache just as Bullit said. :)

Equinox4x said:
I ordered mine two days ago along with the Asus nforce 4 590 SLi wifi mobo and OCZ 2GB 667MHz Memory. if I had given the option to change I would still stay with the 4400+ cause you can always overclock the core but ou can never get the cache just as Bullit said. :)

I hope you didn't order the 4400+ in the OP because that's s939 and you have all AM2 parts ;).

Get the 4600 all the way. The extra cache shows almost zero performance. The 4400 and 4800 were hyped up because all the reviews were on them when they came out.

Would the extra cache or the extra Mghz be better for gaming such as (WoW) in particular?

I'd like to see a benchmark showing me that the extra 512k of cache is beneficial.

Jordan1 said:
I'd like to see a benchmark showing me that the extra 512k of cache is beneficial.

It can be depending on the application, but for most things the average user does, it isn't a super big jump.

kirbyrj said:
It can be depending on the application, but for most things the average user does, it isn't a super big jump.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

Back