X2 3800+ below 400USD H2-05

Frallan

Gawd
Just got this from Digitimes

"AMD will also launch the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, which will be cheapest dual-core processor in its Athlon 64 X2 line, according to sources at motherboard makers. The unit price of the 3800+ will be US$345, as compared to US$537 for the 4200+, AMD’s current entry-level dual-core part."

Now that would then be the proverbial Graal for all OC:s. It has to be a double Venice 3000+ hopefully they will let a X2 4000+ out as well wit the same price dif as between 4200+ and 4400+...

If so I will upgrade (hale ... Ill upgrade any way that X2 38800+ is giong to run in circles around my Winnie 3500+ if corectly configured in load sharing and slightly OC:d *hoping to live in Sweden then so i can use my Vapo :D])..

Frallan said:
Just got this from Digitimes

"AMD will also launch the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, which will be cheapest dual-core processor in its Athlon 64 X2 line, according to sources at motherboard makers. The unit price of the 3800+ will be US$345, as compared to US$537 for the 4200+, AMD’s current entry-level dual-core part."

Now that would then be the proverbial Graal for all OC:s. It has to be a double Venice 3000+ hopefully they will let a X2 4000+ out as well wit the same price dif as between 4200+ and 4400+...

If so I will upgrade (hale ... Ill upgrade any way that X2 38800+ is giong to run in circles around my Winnie 3500+ if corectly configured in load sharing and slightly OC:d *hoping to live in Sweden then so i can use my Vapo :D])..

That would be a sweet processor. Maybe then I could actually afford one.

too bad that by then, the binning could be nice and tight, especially with a lower end part coming so late, they might not overclock very well, at least compared to the other chips. If the 3800+ OC'ed the same as a 4200+, then I could see myself possibly buying one, but otherwise, no way! Maybe in 6-9 months, when it really looks attractive, but probably not, my next real upgrade will likely support DDR2, unless that happens in late Q2-Q3 06 instead of Q1 06.

mikelz85 said:
too bad that by then, the binning could be nice and tight, especially with a lower end part coming so late, they might not overclock very well, at least compared to the other chips. If the 3800+ OC'ed the same as a 4200+, then I could see myself possibly buying one, but otherwise, no way! Maybe in 6-9 months, when it really looks attractive, but probably not, my next real upgrade will likely support DDR2, unless that happens in late Q2-Q3 06 instead of Q1 06.

Im not sure about that... It will be made on the same process and the same wafers so I guess there will be a hitandmiss purchse with these. I would think thet the yields are getting so good that AMD can acctually afford to tel some X2:s "trickle" down in price which they would never do if they thought they couldn't supply...

Great. Another reason to wait. I wonder what the street prices of these things will be after the initial fan-boi rush subsides.
Potential binning aside, it's still a question of enough cooling and voltage. 2.7Gig x2 on water anyone?

Venice has been cool enough to let OCers relax a bit with regards to heat (something Presshott boys haven't been able to do). Duals will change that.

When are the 2.6ghz dualcores coming.. :(

Thats what im looking for.. :)

Sweet. I'm looking forward to assembling my new computer with this in about two months. Athlon dual-core, check. Decent price, check.

Jasonx82 said:
When are the 2.6ghz dualcores coming.. :(

Thats what im looking for.. :)
this should bump prices down even more.

also, if there's gonna be a 3800+, it's probably 2.0ghz, 512kb per core, which would imply a 4000+, 2.0ghz, 1mb per core

(cf)Eclipse said:

also, if there's gonna be a 3800+, it's probably 2.0ghz, 512kb per core, which would imply a 4000+, 2.0ghz, 1mb per core
i think that it is unlikely that such low-end parts will have that much cache. I am 'assuming' that getting good yields on 1MB cache will be pretty rare, much more rare than getting cores at a certain speed. Also, why would the 3800+ be 2GHz and not 1.8?

because there's a 2.2 and 2.4ghz model. no sense in skipping 2.0 :p

and while the number may be relatively low, i'm sure there'll be quite a few cores that have full working cache, but can't really make the higher speed bins. amd really just needs to make the product line as diverse as they can right now.

i just hope these are not the x2 rejects they are going to pawn off...

Jason711 said:
i just hope these are not the x2 rejects they are going to pawn off...

heh you know it... but right now even an x2 reject beats my t-bird 1gig

come to think of it, a hell of a lotta stuff beats my rig :mad:

I dont care if its a 4200 X2 reject, it beats the hell out of my laptop and I sure as hell wont buy an Intel.

YES, I might have a chance at going dual-core now!! Hopefully this stuff if out by Oct..Yeah they said August, but you never know. yes yes yes.

If its got 1mb cache, I'm sold, if its 512, I'll pass.

I'm guessing by the price, expect 512 and nothing more

(cf)Eclipse said:

I thought the same

stiltner said:
If its got 1mb cache, I'm sold, if its 512, I'll pass.

I'm guessing by the price, expect 512 and nothing more
maybe there'll be a 4000+ with 1 MB cache/ core. In which case, I'd buy one :) Heck, I'd even buy the one with 512k/ core.. I am a cheap bastard that wants a DC CPU.

Back