X1900XTX Too BIG for Mobo! Am Gutted.....advice please!!!!!!!

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place but hell, it is video card related :p

Heres my story...bought an X1900XTX (Gecube) to replace my X850 PE and it doesnt fit on my mobo.....not the case but the mobo. Directly infront of the PCI-E slot is the power terminal for the mobo and the cards so damn big it actually extends over the power cable :eek: (pics will be up later)

Its a micro ATX ASUS mobo (PTGD1-LA) in a HP T690 OEM comp (yeah i know....should built one myself...ra ra ra). The computer is stock but for the Tagan PSU (420w in sig) and obviously the graphics card. So heres the choices i have to think on....

1) Purchase a new mobo and case for my P4 3.6 , transfer all parts over to it and sell the spare bits?

Q: Still fairly new to this buildin stuff, if i change the motherboard will i have to re-install XP? Rather not have to as HP dont send copies of the window disk with their comps, but if it needs doing.....

2) Purchase new AMD mobo, AMD processor and case, combine bits and sell spares?

More expensive choice i think, plus XP will need re-installing but maybe worth it for increase in gaming power that comes with AMD....bit short on cash now though :(

3) Sell the X1900XTX :( .........Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, i know i could search and google this little lot to death but i rather ask real people with real experience what choice i should make or not make. Cheers.

P.S If your from UK i'll have some spares (X850XT PE, 2x512 Infineon DDR400 ram) up for grabs soon if your interested...stayed tuned.

if you switch to AMD you will need a fresh install of XP.

If that isn't your cup of tea, stick with the Intel and get a new mobo,

I'd just go for the new mobo, chances are it'll be the least expensive upgrade. That sucks that the card won't clear the socket, that's a pretty bad design on Asus's part. How much room is there between the top of the power socket (without the PSU plugged in) and the card when (and if it can be) installed?

Cheers peeps, i was leaning towards just a new mobo and case, think the P4 should hold me out for a year or so....maybe. Plus with a mobo that aint HP shagged i can overclock ;)

More questions if you please......So if i just change the mobo will i need to re install XP, as that will be more expense?

And the biggy.....What are everyones suggestions for a good P4 3.6 mobo (....DFI, ASUS, Gigabyte)
....and case (Thermaltake, Lian-li ?sp other?).

Also are there an other hardware/software conflicts i could run into?

Thanks again eveyone :)

If you get a new mobo - format, so you dont have old chipset drivers and other things to "possibly" cause stability issues.

Arcygenical said:
I'd just go for the new mobo, chances are it'll be the least expensive upgrade. That sucks that the card won't clear the socket, that's a pretty bad design on Asus's part. How much room is there between the top of the power socket (without the PSU plugged in) and the card when (and if it can be) installed?

The card extends over a 1cm across the 24pin power slot, with the cable in there is no where for the card to go..... :(

Or you could return it and get a 1 slot card, like the 1900GT or the 7900GT.

How about just posting pictures so we can see what you mean? If the power connector is directly in line with the PCI-E slot, I could imagine what you mean, in which case I would buy a power supply cable extension, unsolder the power supply connector from the motherboard and solder the extender directly to the motherboard so the power connection will be made off of the board. Would be the cheapest way to go and gives the potential for nice cable management.

Thanks again peeps,

im swinging towards keepin the X1900 and buying a new mobo and case then transfering all the bits over. Could raise some cash from the selling old bits and bobs (could hopefully get around £130ish for my X850XT PE with VF700 on it) for atleast a good quality mobo and case.

To clear the 'wont fit' thing up for everyone, its a micro atx mobo and the 24pin power plug is directly at the end of the PCI-E slot, this is fine for short cards such as the X850 but the double lengthers (think X1900, 6800, 7800 etc) extend about 1 cm over the mobo power plug which means the big thick cable that goes into the plug would have to pass 'through' the card...really shoulda taken pics sorry guys but long story shorter...it will never fit :(

I want to keep the card as ive commited myself and its a chance to gain some knowledge of DIY building....for my next project :D ...AMD here we come...

Im really stumped as to what mobo and case to get....list of requirements is:

ATX
DDR not DDR2 (have 2gig corsair)
Socket LGA775 for my P4 560 3.6
2 x Sata v1 (would prefer v2 but most come with DDR2)
1 PCI-E and at least 3 PCI
Currently have Intel i915p chipset
Good quality onboard sound
4 x USB 2.0 or more
All other usual features....

and a nice case to fit it all in :p

Any ideas, gonna post requirement in mobo forum too though.

Muchos gracias.

Back