X1900XT @ 500 MHz

Immacolata

Weaksauce
I notice that my X1900XT is clocking at 500 MHz Core 600 MHz Mem. Eh? Isnt it supposed to be 625 / 725? I use ATI Tool to see this clock speed, and if I try to overclock it spins up fans and for a second is running at 625 but then slows down to 500/600 almost immediately and fans speed down.

Am I missing something? Does the card clock itself up to 625/725 when it runs 3d and then clocks down again, sort of like AMD Cool and Quiet, or is there something wrong with my installation? How do I check that it DOES run with nominated speeds when gaming?

Im migrating from a Radeon 9800 Pro, so this isn't something I am used to.

2d speeds bro. Don't need 625/725 to run the desktop. ;) But yeah no worries. You've got it figured out.

Whew! :)

Can I underclock it even further for "2d" speeds? Seeing that 500/600 is probably overkill in it self for 2d.

u could underclock the 2d clocks but it wont be automatic, you will have to use atitool to make custom profiles and switch it back and forth. The only other way i can think of is trying to modify the bios clocks but not sure what program to use and such. I know it was possible to change the throttle clocks on the 7xxx series with Nibitor so im guessing the bios is where u would change the clocks for automatic switching.

Yes, you can downclock it further. I use ATi Tray Tools to make my profiles. I have a standard 2D profile of 400/400. It runs that speed when the system boots, and in my game profiles it will run that speed after exiting the game.

So, how does the card then go to high clock mode when not gaming? Do you have to make profiles for every game you want it to run at 625/725 in, or can it somehow manage that by it self?

when it switches to 3d mode, it automatically runs at the higher clock..

no need to create anything

how does one go about overclocking the card then?
i too have this issue and would like to know how to overclock my card or find the 3d mode speeds

Soparik2 said:
how does one go about overclocking the card then?
i too have this issue and would like to know how to overclock my card or find the 3d mode speeds

Just use ATI Tool and close both of the ATI Smart services (ati2evxx.exe)

yeah ati tool is great. 2d i run my x1800xt 400/1200 at just 22% fan speed so basicaly silent and 3d it switches to 700/1600 at 65% fan speed.

How come the ATI cards underclock so little for 2D mode? The 7900GTX goes from 650 in 3D to 275 in 2D by default. Do ati cores do weird things when they change clock frequency all of a sudden?

I guess nobody mentioned the voltages issue, in 2D mode it runs like 1.1V on the core and in 3D mode it runs 1.425, thats why you cant just set the 3D clocks while in 2D mode or it will crash

I think you guys either gets things mixed up or just cant read. ATI Tool is a no nonsense and very basic overclocking utility. Current version is 0.25 Beta

ATI Tray Tool is super advanced ATI card tweaker with color profiles that loads on games etc, and what not. However, it doesn't seem to support overclocking on X1600 or newer cards. The author does not have access to any cards so he cant make it. Current version is 1.0.5 RC something something.

ATI Tool (0.25 beta) has no autoloading features, so using it requires that you manually switch between Power Saving mode (I put mine at 360/360) and default mode of 500/600 pending a game launch.

Or. It might be me that doesn't understand anything. If people get ATI Tray Tool to work with X1900XT overclocking, please tell me how. Killing off atie2vxx services didnt fix anything in that regard, at least.

keep in mind that if u underclock 2d and keep the ATI Smart switching service up you wont get your full 3d speeds in 3dmode, the ATI smart switcher has a set% to go from 2d-3d clocks
:p when i set my card to 400/500 my 3d was around 500/600 ^^

Back