X1900GT Causing Beeps

9mmx19

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay when Im using the card after about an hour my computer will start beeping. Its a single beep every couple of seconds.

The first time I was running Orthos (testing an OC) in the background and watching some videos. The other time I left the machine on overnight looping Orthos and 3DMark06. When I wake up (in 8ish hours) its beeping again. Orthos had stopped after an hour but 3DMark was still going.

Without changing any of the OC settings, when I swap in a 7900GT and run Orthos (7hours ok), the beeping doesnt happen. Im going to try Orthos and 3DMark on the 7900GT overnight tonight to make sure but Im pretty sure its this X1900GT. So what is that sound?

The card itself seems okay since it was still running 3DMark despite the beeps. Is it just some freak conflict somewhere?

I think it is a temp alarm set in the bios.

The x1900GT puts out a LOT of heat and the 7900GT runs cooler.

Run a temp program that records temps to a log file and check your bios settings carefully and do another long term OC run with each card.

Well what kinda of temps should I be expecting for the X1900GT? It idles a little under 60 and after that 8 hour run I THINK it was 70+ somewhere but Im not sure.

no, The video card is not overheating. I have one of these cards and it throws off plenty of heat, all that heat is dumped by the video card cooler into the case.

What I am guessing is that it is dumping so much heat into your case its affecting your cpu coolers performance and allowing your cpu temp to raise enough to trip a "cpu warning temp" setting in the bios.
Its the only thing I can think of that would cause the beep you describe is some alarm, probally temp either set in the bios or with some pc health monitoring program.

the tip is that you were running 3Dmark in a loop all night, x1900gt could probally warm a small apartment doing that, I water cooled mine cause I could not find a heatsink/fan that would dump the heat outside the case.

Oooh okay you were right it WAS the alarm from some software I was running. Thanks for the help!

Yea, my x1900gt runs pretty hot. Almost 80c at full load. I am probably going to get some new cooling for it to drop it down a little bit. I dont overclock my cards, but that temp is a bit high for my liking (fine for the card, bad for the case's contents).

Back