• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

x-fi + z680 = ?

Jason711

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 3, 2001
Messages
5,975
i am thinking about getting this sound card. i currently have a montego ddl, and it just isnt really cutting it the way id like to have it. anyway, i wanna use the optical out, i understand the x-fi has this via a type of versajack? and with this im only gonna get stereo output right?
 
I think the Platinum has true optical out that will give you surround sound.
 
I get CMSS surround sound through my X-Fi over coax digital. When I had my Audigy2 it was only pcm stereo.
 
Jason711 said:

that's Creatives "surround" sound processing. here is a description from CL's website:

X-Fi CMSS-3D delivers the most realistic surround sound experience with headphones.

Whether you use headphones or speakers you'll know exactly where your enemies are by utilizing advanced technology for amazing positional gaming audio. With headphones X-Fi CMSS-3D externalizes the audio by creating ten virtual speakers around you, above you and below you for an experience that's so real you'll forget you're wearing headphones. When using speakers X-Fi CMSS-3D uses virtual positions to place sounds anywhere around you, so your gaming audio is no longer restricted by the number or placement of your speakers. Now you can enjoy the most accurate gaming surround sound ever!

Enjoy your stereo MP3s and movies in surround sound with X-Fi CMSS-3D technology. The Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor intelligently remixes the audio into surround sound to match the speaker system you have (including headphones). It also uses advanced techniques to extract specific audio elements, like voice to the center channel and ambience to the surrounding channels, so your music and movies sound more alive than ever before!
 
Jason711 said:
virtual surround sound then. hows it sound?

I never really watch movies on my pc... but I think it works extremely well with my headphones for games. I feel the positioning in BF2 is pretty accurate. As far as on my studio monitors... I mainly listen to music in stereo... and play games with my headphones.
 
ah..


does it have to be the digital coax or can it be optical? i dont really even use true 5.1 right now anyway. 4.1 is ok. i assume i can get that through the digital connection?
 
Jason711 said:
ah..


does it have to be the digital coax or can it be optical? i dont really even use true 5.1 right now anyway. 4.1 is ok. i assume i can get that through the digital connection?

well.. unless you have the "platinum" version.. all that's available is the coax digital. I have never tried hooking to a 4.1 or 5.1 system but I assume if you have the right speaker setting in control panel you should be fine for gaming
 
Back
Top