• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-Fi with A8N32-sli

16Valve

n00b
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
49
I'm about to go and pick up an X-Fi but I'm wondering if there will be problems with fitting the card in between the two graphics cards (it's the only slot available to me).

I have Zalman heatsinks installed instead of the stock coolers so they're raised up a wee bit more ;) than usual.

Thanks for your time.
 
16Valve said:
I'm about to go and pick up an X-Fi but I'm wondering if there will be problems with fitting the card in between the two graphics cards (it's the only slot available to me).

I have Zalman heatsinks installed instead of the stock coolers so they're raised up a wee bit more ;) than usual.

Thanks for your time.

I believe I remember a thread here in the audio forums about the same thing. the poster stated he didn't have enough room for a soundcard between 2 512mb GTX's. It might work with GT's though.
 
yeah, it works with 512mb GTX cards its just a real tight fit and the top one wont get cooled as well because the card kinda blocks the fan on it.


linky
 
Yeah... this is my rig

pc.JPG
 
Well, I got one and installed it but, damn, it's a TIGHT fit. With the way the Zalman's secure to the video cards on the back, I actually had to bend one of the capacitors on the X-Fi card to get it to fit.
Also on top of that, it's so close to the lower vid card that it's blocking alot of the fan to cool the video card and it's alot hotter than it was. I'd rather have a bit duller sound than a burned out card, it'll be alot less expensive to fix :)

I wouldn't mind keeping the X-Fi though. Are there any very good coolers for a 6800GT that are also a bit more low-profile? I had a feeling that the Zalmans would do a good job of cooling but would also hurt trying to get more in the case?

Do the Arctic Cooling solutions fit better or am I going to be in the same mess? They push the air out of the case in the back.

This is a TIGHT fit.

Stevemr2t, what is the cooler you have in there? Is that a passive? I don't see a fan of any kind. Thanks for your time everyone.
 
The ASUS A8N32-Sli has a very bad PCI/PCI-E Layout. I hope there is a revision of some sort (i.e. A8N32-Sli Premium).
 
iownyou14 said:
The ASUS A8N32-Sli has a very bad PCI/PCI-E Layout. I hope there is a revision of some sort (i.e. A8N32-Sli Premium).

I understand the need for standards and everything but, heck, a few millimeters more between the PCI slots on all motherboards would be welcome by all.
The industry needs to get with the times and realise that smaller doesn't always equal better.
 
16Valve said:
Stevemr2t, what is the cooler you have in there? Is that a passive? I don't see a fan of any kind. Thanks for your time everyone.

he has 2 512mb GTX cards. they are the stock coolers that come with the cards.
they both are active coolers, the fan is in the middle of the heatsink.
 
Haste266 said:
he has 2 512mb GTX cards. they are the stock coolers that come with the cards.
they both are active coolers, the fan is in the middle of the heatsink.

Yea. Now I see the fan through it. Thanks.
 
Back
Top