• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

X-Fi questions

Judd Sandage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
187
was wondering if I would see any differance to running the X-Fi Fatal1ty over the standerd platnium, I would be upgrading from an Audigy2 Platnium, also since its been over a year, is there going to be an X-Fi 2? possibly in a PCI-E flavor? All I play is BF2 and soon BF2142, mp3s and video
 
probably will be another year or so till we see a new sound card, as the audigy 2 came out in what like 2003? so 2 years from that till x-fi, so i see ATLEAST another year with the x-fi, and i think they wont be moving to pci-e for a while, atleast another gen after the next
 
Judd Sandage said:
was wondering if I would see any differance to running the X-Fi Fatal1ty over the standerd platnium, I would be upgrading from an Audigy2 Platnium, also since its been over a year, is there going to be an X-Fi 2? possibly in a PCI-E flavor? All I play is BF2 and soon BF2142, mp3s and video

Fatal1ty is a ripoff, there are no games at the moment that takes advantage of x-ram, if you do get something get the x-fi platinium. I just got a new headset, for headset it's one hell of a step up from an audigy 2zs, if it's for normal speakers the audigy 2zs should do the job, only big difference between this and headphone upgrade is newer EAX 5, and it's a hell of a lot more powerfull, can process a lot more sounds at the same time. Good luck.
 
well since the release of the original SBLive its been about one year for each "new" sound card, so I feel its about time for a "New" sound card. just dident want to get one now and see a new one introduced at the end of the year.

summer '98 SBLive, summer '99 SBLive 5.1, summer '01 audigy, fall '02 audigy2, summer '03 audigy2 ZS, Audigy4 quitely released summr '04, X-Fi summer '05, X-Fi 2 ???
 
I have the XtremeMusic X-Fi. Great soundcard. But, it needs more inputs. You only have one input that is shared between the microphone, line in, and the digital out. Other than that, no complaints from myself. The card is awesome with BF2 in X-Fi/Ultra-High/EAX-HD mode.
 
Met-AL said:
This is true....


This is not true. BattleField 2 can use X-Ram

Since the newest releases of the x-fi drivers, you can now play bf2 in ultra-quality sound mode without x-ram. So x-ram is "officially" unnecessary in my book.
 
You could do that with the original set of drivers on the cd, well i could and I dont have the x-ram cards, i just have the extreme music, and it always allowed me to pick ultra for the sound quality, and I have been using the cd drivers for about 9-10 months.
 
EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
You could do that with the original set of drivers on the cd, well i could and I dont have the x-ram cards, i just have the extreme music, and it always allowed me to pick ultra for the sound quality, and I have been using the cd drivers for about 9-10 months.

Yeah I think it was a certain BF2 patch that opened up the option for non X-ram users.
 
MetalX said:
Yeah I think it was a certain BF2 patch that opened up the option for non X-ram users.

Nope just tested with a freshly installed copy it allows ultra without the fatality.
 
lend82 said:
Since the newest releases of the x-fi drivers, you can now play bf2 in ultra-quality sound mode without x-ram. So x-ram is "officially" unnecessary in my book.

You could with previous drivers as well. But think about it...what is the price difference between the two top versions of the card..one has x-ram and one doesn't. $100? Is 64MB of RAM worth $100? Maybe back in 1997, but not now. Skip the X-RAM.
 
pfunkman said:
Nope just tested with a freshly installed copy it allows ultra without the fatality.

I researched it, I was thinking of the X-Fi patch that enabled Ultra in multiplayer mode.
 
MetalX said:
I researched it, I was thinking of the X-Fi patch that enabled Ultra in multiplayer mode.
huh ?

what you mean a patch to enable ultra mode in multiplayer ? as far as I am aware, setting the sound to ultra works in all modes, i.e. single and multi, i may be wrong, but but when playing online, it still shows me as a setting of ultra, and if I dont set the mode to game mode in the eax panel, then i will only get software supported sound.

bascially what I am saying is, I am sure multiplayer still uses ultra mode.
 
EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
huh ?

what you mean a patch to enable ultra mode in multiplayer ? as far as I am aware, setting the sound to ultra works in all modes, i.e. single and multi, i may be wrong, but but when playing online, it still shows me as a setting of ultra, and if I dont set the mode to game mode in the eax panel, then i will only get software supported sound.

bascially what I am saying is, I am sure multiplayer still uses ultra mode.

http://xfi.blogspot.com/2006/09/driver-update.html

For Battlefield 2™

* Allows the Ultra-High Audio setting in a multi-player game

Probably only affected certain users.
 
Ah, its more for the pro cards, and its only for bf2 patch 1.12, we are now on bf2 1.4, so i dont think that it is needed.

maybe bf2 1.12 had a problem or something that was addressed but creative came out with a patch in the process ? i dunno, but its the same version of drivers that I am using.

Basically, its more for the pro version and bf2 ver 1.12.

I tend not to mess with creatives magic drivers, as they are the most stable of drivers that one can get and they should be used by everyone, even if you dont own a creative product...

arghhh they should fking hang whoever makes there drivers.
 
So the general consensus is no new Creative cards for another year?

I need to buy a card for gaming - I'd wait a bit if something new was coming out in a few months.... Of course no one really "knows", but I'll take speculation at this point.
 
Back
Top