• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-Fi owners

dR.Jester

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
2,763
Do you run your 24 bit crystalizer on 50% or 100%

Its 50% at default but I can't hear much of a difference when turning it up to 100...

Using Sennheisher HD555's.
 
Elderblaze said:
eww turn that shit off
He said X-Fi owners, not thread crappers.

I run it at 50%, what difference does running it higher or lower make?
 
I just bought a X-Fi Fatal1ty, it arrives from NCIX on Monday.

Did I make the right choice?
Will I be blown away?
 
Majin said:
I just bought a X-Fi Fatal1ty, it arrives from NCIX on Monday.

Did I make the right choice?
Will I be blown away?
When I made the switch from onboard DFI NF4 audio to the X-Fi, I certainly was.
 
Tytanium said:
When I made the switch from onboard DFI NF4 audio to the X-Fi, I certainly was.

Good, cause I am going from my A8N-SLI onboard which is really nice for a intergraded but it's juts not cutting it!
 
Disabled. Really messes up the audio reproduction quality on lossless (or high bitrate) ripped files.
 
Disabled. What seems to be a fairly crude upsampler and the all-too-common "kwality enhancer" treble / bass boost does not equal higher quality to me. It does liven up the sound, but at the expense of quality. Just depends on how much all that concerns you I guess.
 
dderidex said:
Disabled. Really messes up the audio reproduction quality on lossless (or high bitrate) ripped files.


I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a really well processed 128 bit MP3 and real CD Audio anyway.

If you don't believe me go read this months MaximumPC Mag. Has a blind test where people bring their own CD's in, the CD's are ripped at three different bit rates and then blind listening test are done on their own music and on the other peoples music...there was nothing better than a 'guessing' success on picking the sources. Very low percentages of accuracy for ALL the people who participated.

(~edit: correct name of magazine)
 
BBA said:
I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a really well processed 128 bit MP3 and real CD Audio anyway.

If you don't believe me go read this months PC Mag. Has a blind test where people bring their own CD's in, the CD's are ripped at three different bit rates and then blind listening test are done on their own music and on the other peoples music...there was nothing better than a 'guessing' success on picking the sources. Very low percentages of accuracy for ALL the people who participated.
Depends on the source entirely.

For 'pop' music, alternative, modern country, etc - I'd agree entirely. It doesn't help that most pop music is terribly mastered, to begin with.

However, MP3, even at 320kbps, has a REAL problem with duplicating certain sounds - cymbals and cellos, for example, sound TERRIBLE in MP3 encoding, regardless of bitrate. Some higher pitches of vocals can be weak, as well.

Ergo, classical music and operas generally are pretty obviously compromised by MP3 compression.
 
dderidex said:
Depends on the source entirely.

For 'pop' music, alternative, modern country, etc - I'd agree entirely. It doesn't help that most pop music is terribly mastered, to begin with.

However, MP3, even at 320kbps, has a REAL problem with duplicating certain sounds - cymbals and cellos, for example, sound TERRIBLE in MP3 encoding, regardless of bitrate. Some higher pitches of vocals can be weak, as well.

Ergo, classical music and operas generally are pretty obviously compromised by MP3 compression.

Well said, and I also think it depends on the other hardware in the chain. Just FYI, the listening rig that Maximum PC had setup was an X-fi straight to a pair of HD580s.
 
dderidex said:
Depends on the source entirely.

For 'pop' music, alternative, modern country, etc - I'd agree entirely. It doesn't help that most pop music is terribly mastered, to begin with.

However, MP3, even at 320kbps, has a REAL problem with duplicating certain sounds - cymbals and cellos, for example, sound TERRIBLE in MP3 encoding, regardless of bitrate. Some higher pitches of vocals can be weak, as well.

Ergo, classical music and operas generally are pretty obviously compromised by MP3 compression.



If you read the article, they used everything from vocal to classical to pop....the music the people brought in for the purpose of being able to tell.

They had the 'audiophile' who though he could tell every nuance...and all the way to the happy go lucky listener.

You would be surprised, and you should probably stop listening to poorly reorded MP3's if you don't agree.
 
strid3r said:
Well said, and I also think it depends on the other hardware in the chain. Just FYI, the listening rig that Maximum PC had setup was an X-fi straight to a pair of HD580s.

Your right...It was MaximumPC

BUT: Are you saying you think the X-Fi and the HD 580's clouded the tests?
 
The HD580s would have been underpowered straight from an X-Fi, so the headphones wouldn't be as revealing as they normally are. Also, the "blorp in the center of the head" effect would have been in full swing, which is why I love the Cardas replacement cable. Absolutely no blorp, and the soundfield sounds natural, as if from regular speakers. It allows me to use no crossfeed whatsoever.

To get back on topic... there would have been a loss of transients and droppage of background audio that would have normally been there.

At least MaximumBS tried to have a good blind test, but as usual, the Devil is in the details. :D :rolleyes:
 
dderidex said:
Disabled. Really messes up the audio reproduction quality on lossless (or high bitrate) ripped files.

It was designed for low bitrate rips like mp3's (i.e 128 or 192). If you use it on a high quality reproduction, it's like trying to fix something that isn't broke.
 
Chastity said:
The HD580s would have been underpowered straight from an X-Fi, so the headphones wouldn't be as revealing as they normally are. Also, the "blorp in the center of the head" effect would have been in full swing, which is why I love the Cardas replacement cable. Absolutely no blorp, and the soundfield sounds natural, as if from regular speakers. It allows me to use no crossfeed whatsoever.

Where can I get this Cardas replacement cable? I might give it a shot to see if it gets rid of the blorp in my Sony's.
 
BBA said:
Where can I get this Cardas replacement cable? I might give it a shot to see if it gets rid of the blorp in my Sony's.

To my knowledge, The only Cardas at HeadRoom are prefabricated for Senns... the HD 580, 600 and 650. If you can do all the soldering and crap, you could just buy plain wire and connectors do it all yoruself.

Browse here: http://www.headphone.com/products/cables/cables-by-others/
 
dR.Jester said:
Do you run your 24 bit crystalizer on 50% or 100%

Its 50% at default but I can't hear much of a difference when turning it up to 100...

Using Sennheisher HD555's.

I use it with older stuff at 50 to 65%. I turn it off after I get through listening to MP3 old poorly recorded WAV files.
 
BBA said:
Where can I get this Cardas replacement cable? I might give it a shot to see if it gets rid of the blorp in my Sony's.

There are a couple places (I remember Moon Audio did) that sell it in bulk. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can do a re-cable yourself.
 
BBA said:
Where can I get this Cardas replacement cable? I might give it a shot to see if it gets rid of the blorp in my Sony's.

You would have to get that done custom. Senn replacement cables are the only ones that are prefab with very few exceptions like the AKG 240s
 
The replacement cables for the Senns works to an extent because what is shipped is quite inexplicably of a slightly poor performance (on the 580 / 600. 650 is better). The Sony V6 is a fairly rough phone to start with in hi-fi terms and is mated to a half-decent litz cable. It is unlikely you'll notice any particularly positive changes.
 
So you don't think it's worth it?

I have experimented with the Sony drivers in different headphones already. I even put them in a pair of noise cancelling headphones and recalibrated the noise cancelling to the Sony drivers. It worked but I realized I just don't like noise cancelling headphones so I moved them back.

Oh well...just wondered if it would make a difference. From what it sounds like here the reason it makes a difference on Senn's is the 580 used cheapo wires from the start.

Thanks
 
The cables issue stirs up a lot of debate on various forums, and replacement headphone cables causes equal debate on Head-Fi. In my case, I consider it on a case-by-case basis.

I had the Cardas cable for the HD600 and Cardas / Zu Mobius cables for my HD650. Both did have an effect on the sound but neither were the quantum leaps claimed by many people, especially on the HD650. The Cardas cable was a good match fo the HD600 though. The Moon Audio Black Dragons I got for my Qualia 010 sounded different for sure... but they seemed to be achieving their different sound through degrading the signal more than anything else. On the other hand a cable replacement on a Sennheiser HD497 made a noticeable positive difference (although no economic sense), as did a few others. It really depends on what they stick on your particular phone. Sony cables are usually suited to the task.

Cables will make a difference, and sticking a cable on the V6 which has an engineered sound shaping on it (a specific resistance, capacitance, etc) may change the sound subtly to something better for you. But of course there is no guarantee that this will occur with the Cardas, and it's probably not worth throwing ~$100 (the approx cost of unfinished Cardas headphone cable of a decent length) at a $70 phone.
 
I have the Crystalizer set at 100% and all EAX effects enabled along with CMSS 3D set to maximum. You wouldn't BELIEVE how good Backstreet boys sounds with this setup!
 
The crystalizer does not effect the source sample what so ever! It is actually a very high quality DAC that implements conversion on the fly! The slider adjusts how many times it samples the source.
 
I noticed that I had to back down the crystallizer from 100% to about 75 because I could hear noticeable distortion from my monitors and from my cans. The recordings were wavs that I ripped from vinyl. I noticed it did make craptacular mp3 recordings "sound" better.. but I wouldn't recommend it for better sources
 
sorta off topic, I'm looking to replace my audigy 2 (before the zs revision :/) and I'm looking at getting the xi-fi, but I've read about bug and issues with alot of games, as well as not being able to use the digital speakers and a microphone. ( I will be using Z-5500's) Any suggestions?
 
You cannot use spdif out and mic in at the same time with Xtreme Music, but you can with all upper versions. Z5500 have analog inputs, too, anyway, so if you want all EAX effects rightly positioned in 3D you better off use them.

As for issues and bugs I have not experienced any. About two months ago some people with some of nForce4 mobos had difficulties but this has been sorted already by affected motherboard models manufacturers and creative.

Have not seen anyone with these problems here recently which is a good sign for you ;)

End of OT.

Now, Crystallizer: For games I have it at 50% . For music - depends on what kind of music. Keep it at minimum with jazz and classical pieces, but go as high as 80% for The Clash or The Cure... Also depends on bitrate as someone mentioned here. The lower the bitrate, the more audible is the enhancement with Crystallizer.
 
Back
Top