• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

X-fi Internal Cable

mastephens

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
250
I have an X-fi Platinum, and the IDE cable that comes with the Platinum to connect the pci device to the 5.25 device broke. I just figured that I could go get another IDE cable but in all the cables that I see there is a connecter missing towards the middle. The X-fi has a pin where this connector is missing. Is there anywhere that has round ide cables with all 40 connectors? Thanks.

ATA_Plug.PNG
 
Thanks, but #1 it is a dual device and #2 many times they say 40 pin, but in all reality they are really 39 pin.
 
mastephens said:
I have an X-fi Platinum, and the IDE cable that comes with the Platinum to connect the pci device to the 5.25 device broke. I just figured that I could go get another IDE cable but in all the cables that I see there is a connecter missing towards the middle. The X-fi has a pin where this connector is missing. Is there anywhere that has round ide cables with all 40 connectors? Thanks.

ATA_Plug.PNG


The pin connector is in that IDE cable. I took a rounded shielded IDE cable, driled out the blocked hole (only the top is solid because there is an IDE connector pin inside the blocked off position after all) and used it.

Works perfectly.
 
I tried drilling it out and it worked fine, but I want something that is made correctly. I did some research and determined that it is a 40 pin IDC Female connector that is needed rather than a normal 40 pin IDE that is really only 39.

01812.jpg
 
It will work fine, but I would prefer to have something a little neater in my case. If that is my only option I will take it.
 
just look around at a computer store and you should be able to find an ide cable that doesnt have that pin blocked off. I know only certain manufacturers actually block that pin for older ide drives that used the block pin for cable orientation purposes.
 
Just for your information...everyone:

The IDE cables with the pin hole blocked off still has the connector pin inside under where the blocked off portion is and still has connectivity to all 40 pins.

Most people assume the pin is not there under the blocked off position, but you can check it with an ohm meter yourself after drilling it open, the connection is there on every one I have checked.
 
BBA said:
Just for your information...everyone:

The IDE cables with the pin hole blocked off still has the connector pin inside under where the blocked off portion is and still has connectivity to all 40 pins.

Most people assume the pin is not there under the blocked off position, but you can check it with an ohm meter yourself after drilling it open, the connection is there on every one I have checked.
You obviously have far too much time on your hands.
 
LOL...

It doesnt take that much time. I'm a curious person who finds out something once it strikes my interest...and getting rid of that flat ugly cable definitely struck a nerve. Besides my job requires I do things very quickly and efficiently, so time is irrelevant, this is my release.
 
Check IT Out! If anyone wants to replace the ribbon cable without drilling a perfectly good 39 pin cable here is the option that will ease a very small amount of pain.

The Precious Cable
 
I recall having to modify a ribbon cable connector long ago. I found that using a Hot pin or lg sewing needle made a perfect hole.
 
bratboy said:
I recall having to modify a ribbon cable connector long ago. I found that using a Hot pin or lg sewing needle made a perfect hole.
I second that. I have had older cables in the past that had the hole and the mobo at the time had a pin in it. So I just used one of those pick like tools that looks like a screwdriver handle to make a hole there. I never noticed the cable being messy looking when done.
 
Yep and if you heat it on a stove/burner first then the hole melts out fast, nice and smooth
 
I used a small drill bit in a hand held pen drill. The plastic covering that pin is only about a half a millimeter thick, so you can cut it open with a sharp pocket knife even.

You could also use a 1/32 standard drill bit, or a dremel with a small bit.

I wouldn't recommend melting it, since the melted plastic is likely to get on the conductor the plastic covers and could possible insulate it.
 
You forgot to put quotations around "laser".

Well great, I'm glad someone confirmed that any old 40pin will work, I'll have to find one I like at ye olde Fryes and get rid of that darn flat cable, it's messing up my feng shui!
 
I got this from the market pro computer show for about $5.00

http://www.billhunter.net/images/pc/XFiCbl.jpg

http://www.billhunter.net/images/pc/XFiBayCbl.jpg

Very cool twin sleeved shielded (the shielded grounds have little ring terminals that I grounded on a motherboard mount screw on bottom and a case screw on top.

I folded the cabling over the center ATA connector and used taped over it so that it doesn't look like a noticeable connector in the middle of the cable (now it looks like a slight bulge in the cable, but it's under the power connector cable so you almost can't see it.)

Anyway, the drilling out of the center pin blocking plastic was very easy and there is a connector pin inside, so all cables are actually connected.

Now I think I'll buy another one for my dvd-rw drives since the uv cable I have on them now just looks wrong....did someone say feng shui???
 
Back
Top