x-fi fatal1ty for 99 after MIR

Mine said it was backordered.. shipped Thurs, got here this morning. Order date on receipt still shows 11/28 so rebate should be good.

Got mine today too :D . However, I won't be home to play with it today until like 9:00 pm tonight :(

For those that are getting this and that are using a SB aud 2 card atm; would you mind telling us how much of a upgrade it is ... ie how does it sound; do games run better then support the x-ram.

atm I'm running a aud 2 zs and debating about upgrading to this card.

well looking through the thread and other stuff it seems there is a substantial difference between this and onboard, even audigy 2 zs sound ouput. FYI on the outpost site it seems as if the rebate expires Dec 05th. 150 bucks is a shit-ton of money to spend on a sound card but im seriously debating it since i have the dough and im considering a purchase of some high end headphones :p any chance u all can sway a noob?

Dulak said:
For those that are getting this and that are using a SB aud 2 card atm; would you mind telling us how much of a upgrade it is ... ie how does it sound; do games run better then support the x-ram.

I went from Audigy 2 ZS to X-Fi. In BF2 and BF2142 there is a big difference in sound. In other games like Guild Wars, there was no difference. So if you play BF a lot, and have the money to spare, I'd say its worth it.

how was the difference in gaming? i dont know jack about all those settings etc can it run well if i just plug it in and go?

(coming from onboard sound excuse the noobness)

Miami_Fly_Guy said:
how was the difference in gaming? i dont know jack about all those settings etc can it run well if i just plug it in and go?

(coming from onboard sound excuse the noobness)

Performance wise? I can't tell its better. But it definitely sounds better in BF. Just make sure to check the "X-Fi" box in the game's audio setting.

i shouldnt even spend 100 bones on a sound card but you only live once and i wanna see what the hype is about. if i dont like it i could always ebay it :)

whats the chances of rebate actually coming?

Another game that supports the x-ram is MTWII (which is a awesome game btw) ...
I went to the SB site the other day and I noticed the game on the website advertising the x-ram features.

I dont play BF2142 but I do play MTWII ...

ya I'm a little hesitant about the rebate let alone the 150(99$).

I just spent 750+ bones on my system - not sure I can afford anymore :)

8800gts, 4800+, new psu

GlimmerMan said:
I went from Audigy 2 ZS to X-Fi. In BF2 and BF2142 there is a big difference in sound. In other games like Guild Wars, there was no difference. So if you play BF a lot, and have the money to spare, I'd say its worth it.

Went from an Audigy 2 ZS, and I would agree with this statement. Also will add that if you listen to music a lot on your computer, it's worth it as well. In the end if you have bad speakers or bad headphones it might not be worth it, but I love mine.

And, what's... MTWII?

id be using it for games and music since thats what i do at my computer. i spend more time listening to music at the computer while surfing the net or doing work then gaming so i figure it's a sound investment.

i was going to pair this with some audio technica a-500's but im leaning to something cheaper like siberias now lol

edit- i think MTWII is medieval total war or something to that effect :p

ya MTWII medieval totalwar II ...
On the games start up screens it has the SB X-ram splash logo.
So I assume it uses that chip.

at this price, it doesnt make sense to get anything else. could you tell a difference with a 2.1 setup or did u have to have something like 5.1 or high end headphones?

Miami_Fly_Guy said:
at this price, it doesnt make sense to get anything else. could you tell a difference with a 2.1 setup or did u have to have something like 5.1 or high end headphones?

I've got 4.1 speaks and the X-Fi was a big difference in BF2. You have a much better sense of telling were things are from the sounds, like tank engines and such. With some *good* headphones, you will notice a differnce as well.

Sort of related - The current issue of Maximum PC (Dec 2006, Pg 68) has an article on how an onboard sound chip (Realtek) claims to support EAX, but really doesn't. Pretty much sucks if you're playing a game that relies on sound cues.

Has anyone been able to get the PDF for the second rebate round, Dec 1st - 5th? I filled out the thing to have them snail-mail it to me...

I was able to play around a little bit last night with my card. I went from an Audigy 1 to the X-Fi and I could easily tell a difference in sound quality just listening to MP3s; each song was much richer and cleaner. Unfortunately, I didn't have any recent games installed on my machine to try.

If I only care about:

1. Great sound being ported DIGITALLY to my digital receiver (for music/movies)
2. Great recording (stereo analog)
3. I do NOT play games

Is there any benefit over the Audigy 2 ZS?

sir_rob said:
3. I do NOT play games

Is there any benefit over the Audigy 2 ZS?

What you should be asking is, "Do I really need a Creative (EAX/Gaming) card?"

M-Audio
Audiotrac
Creative's EMU line

I'm sure there's many more, go check out the sound forums here, head-fi.org, or avsforum.com. :)

Rhyick said:
Wow this looks like a great deal.

Just FYI the rebate is still active and is now "valid from 2006-12-01 to 2006-12-05" but it seems that like the previous rebate, you can't download the new one from the Fry's site. :rolleyes:

Plus, it's in stock now again. :cool:

I ordered one on 12/03/06 and received it today (12/06/06). As you mentioned, the rebate form link didn't work at that time. Request one copy from Fry's site but never receive it. The Fry's customer service number never works today. Any one happens to have one (valid 12-01 to 12-05-2006), would you please post one for me at [email protected].
Thank you!

HOhaha

Well, they sent me the PDF via email, but it was for the wrong time frame (12/08 - 12/12), so now I'm waiting again. Did anyone else get the correct form for the 12/01 - 12/05 period?

for those that missed out on the deal, its back up until 12-19-06. hop to it folks this includes the front bay and remote :)

Back