X-Fi Alternative? (PCI-E)

Hurin

2[H]4U
I've currently got an X-Fi Titanium Fatality version PCI-E (with the fancy "outer shell" casing around the card).

I suspect the BSODs I'm getting in LotRO are driver-related. However, I'd just like to try something other than Creative for a bit.

What's the preferred (for under $200) alternative to the current X-Fi cards. Wasn't there also a company using the X-Fi chip but building their own cards and drivers?

Best,

H

The company building their own X-Fis is Auzentech, and the card is called the X-Fi Prelude. I spent some time playing LotRO in XP32 with that card and everything seemed to work just fine. If you're on Vista, you might not be so fortunate, but odds are it'll work. Auzentech releases their own driver updates on a fairly regular basis (though it's been some time since the last release, for whatever it's worth).

You can also check out ASUS's Xonar DX and D2X. They're both solid cards.

I'd be willing to trade you my Prelude for that FW900, by the way :)

Those Auzentech cards look nice. But no PCI-E yet. Was hoping to not have to cram a PCI card between my video cards. But it looks like that's what will have to happen. Thanks for the info, Phide. Got some decisions to make.

Is this the system in your sig with the Asus Striker II Extreme mainboard?

Have you tried the built in soundcard or does it do the same thing?

I'm sure he has an aftermarket sound card in the first place because on-board just doesn't cut it for some folks with 'good' ears. But I doubt the system would bluescreen with it running the on-board versus the Creative card. Creative products are notorious for these issues.

The Xonar cards seem to be a decent performing series of cards too, BTW.

I'm sure he has an aftermarket sound card in the first place because on-board just doesn't cut it for some folks with 'good' ears. But I doubt the system would bluescreen with it running the on-board versus the Creative card. Creative products are notorious for these issues.

The Xonar cards seem to be a decent performing series of cards too, BTW.
the Asus Republic of Gamers motherboards have high-end audio. they use small PCI-E x1 add-in cards.

I've currently got an X-Fi Titanium Fatality version PCI-E (with the fancy "outer shell" casing around the card).

I suspect the BSODs I'm getting in LotRO are driver-related. However, I'd just like to try something other than Creative for a bit.

What's the preferred (for under $200) alternative to the current X-Fi cards. Wasn't there also a company using the X-Fi chip but building their own cards and drivers?

Best,

H

I'll take it off your hands ;)

Back