x 800 GT

JSF35rhino

[H]ard|Gawd
anybody fooling around with the x800gt ?

there inexpensive @ around $160 shipped for the 256mb version ,

they either have the r423 or r480 core with 8 pipes very high core speed and moderate ddr speed ?

i'm looking for something to "hack" -- tempring to try one and 'hard-mod-flash" mod to either x800pro or x850pro but don't know it it might be possible ? ati if they were smart would sell this with 12pipes enabled- surely ATI isn't making that much "scrap-" cores ?-oh-well?!--LOL :cool:

looks like one site tried to mod one to 12 pipes but was a no-go. looks like they had a r423 core

anybody try with the r480 ?

I think the R423 core is for the 128MB (DDR1) version, whilst 256MB version uses GDDR3 and R480 core. There's a real good X800GT review on Hexus.

I can't really figure out why the review sites are liking the X800GT. They're really not performing all that well, and ATI has already lost the battle in this price range to the 6600GT. They should have just let it go. They'll never get the sales figures up in time to make this card a success before nextgen hardware demolishes it's price category, and I can't see ATI maintaining this card in the lineup at or under a $100 price point which is where it will have to sell within the next six months.

I dunno. Color me confused on this one. Maybe they're going to eliminate the 9800pro finally with this card? That would make some sense, since that poor old venerable card is really long in the tooth and doesn't have the features to compete well.

Mr. Stryker said:
You fool, ATI never loses battles.

ATI lost lots of battles before the Radeon 9700 came along. It was a great card... and it still exists in the latest X850 XT PE, just with more pipes and higher clocks (and small tweaks). But its time has come and finally gone.

(I'm not bashing ATI. I'm just saying we're ready for the next generation. Except people like me that couldn't hold out and I'm sitting here next to my new AIW X800XT...)

Interesting that the cards wont unlock. I say this because Club3D has a proprietary version of the card coming out, called an X800RX. Its the same card, but they are claminng you will be able to unlock it to 16-pipes, and that its coming on a better PCB (10-layer if memory serves correctly) to allow for some better overclocking. I'd be curios to know what that cards got that others don't to make it unlockable.

EDIT:

According to bit-tech.net Club 3D is to launch a x800GT variant dubbed x800RX that uses a R480 core with 8 of 16 pipelines enabled. What's interesting is that the remaining 8 pipelines are supposedly disabled in the bios. The core is clocked at 475MHz and the 256MB GDDR3 at 490MHz. It begs to question why use a more expensive R480 core when you only are using half its pipelines - Club 3D may be counting on enthusiasts to buy the card with hopes of unlocking the hidden 8 pipelines and having them work correctly.

yea-- i can't belive that all the 480 cores that are in these things only have 8 pipes, i have heard speculation that these x800gt's are made from scrap 423& 480 cores --now it looks silly and stupid to go back and lazer-lock scrap chips don't it ?

if ATI had a gun--they would surely shoot themselves with it--!!--LOL

now ATI had an oppertunity here with the x800gt/rx-- if they had just re-named the pro- to gt and run x850pro's and x 800pro's off the line as x800gt's for a bit less than $200 retail-- i wonder how many million they would have sold--but nooo- they got to castrate something that was allready a bit castrated to begin with and kill what could have been a bargin and a market jump for them.

if your going to blow over $250 for a card--ya juat as well wait for the 7800gt to drop a bit more and twards the mid range you got 850's x800xt/xl and pros with a few 6800's priced all over the place from slightly above $200 to the insane $$$

to me it looks like a good time to sit the vga's out and just see where they land. the way things are going--you may see more x850xt's for $229 or see 7800gt's for close to $300

a overly castrated vga don't look to be much of a "buy" if things turn out cheap-on the high side--sort of speak.
:eek:

Back