WWDC 2011

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
No WWDC discussion yet?

So far i'm not impressed by the ios crap. I have an ipad, don't care for it on the desktop. Don't like the new mail. It's pretty but seems inefficient.

I don't like how Lion is mac app store only. No discs. But it is only $29 so can't complain too much.

Most impressive thing in lion for me is Resume and updated OpenGL

Do you like the existing Mail? I don't know anyone who does.

I do yes. I prefer how it arranges my messages on single lines. The large display of messages in the new mail doesn't display as many, each subject line is just too large and cluttered. it irritates me to navigate that. Looks a lot like mobile me mail which I also don't like.

I like the new splitting keyboard for the ipad. And of course wireless updates. ios5 does look to be a winner. But I still prefer to use my desktop whenever possible even though I have an ipad.

Last edited:
icloud seems to do what i've been doing with google. I have my mail, contacts and calendar already sync'd everywhere. I don't purchase content from apple beyond the occasional app. I don't buy music, books or video from them. I do however convert my own video work on the ipad.
And i'd rather get books via kindle as I can read them on a variety of devices. I don't like being locked into any one ecosystem.

I don't much trust the cloud. Too much hacking going on out there. I'm looking more into pulling back from the cloud and doing it myself.

Last edited:
Love how they straight copy and pasted the notification drawer from Android. Classy.

Well, iCloud seemed fairly lame until they described iTunes Match. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any streaming component to it, which kind of kills the potential utility of it all.

So where there any real surprises? Kind of light this year it seems especially with no new iPhone.

Well. 25 a year to add all of your pirated music to your iTunes library in the form of their legit files.
Also, you can now sync wirelessly. The resume program thing for lion is cool too.

Love how they straight copy and pasted the notification drawer from Android. Classy.

Same with Google docs and cloud computing in general.

However, I'm not surprised by any of this. In the end all mobile operating systems were headed this direction because modern operating systems did this already. If Joe Average looks at say Ubuntu, OS X, and Windows 7, in the end could Joe do all the day to day tasks like e-mail, Internet, chatting and document writing? That answer is yes Joe could. Do all those items listed work more or less the same across every platform? Yes, with the only real difference being the GUI. For the sake of the above argument ignore market share and look at this from solely the point of an average user who is actually probably below average when it comes to computer know how.

It doesn't matter which system is used. In the end they all do the same thing underneath (professional and enthusiast usage not included). Mobile operating systems will be no different.

Well. 25 a year to add all of your pirated music to your iTunes library in the form of their legit files.
Also, you can now sync wirelessly. The resume program thing for lion is cool too.

This surprised me the most. I wonder how they got the music industry to sign off that one? The $25 a year? That's a far cry from the few million dollars they've been suing people for.

Totally pumped for iOS 5. iCloud is hopefully optional through and through. I got DSL caps, maaaaan.

Am I the only one that laughed at the pictures of the data center with some other brands of servers that look like I recognize them? I expected to see bare systems like facebook and google use. That or some boxes with apples logo on them.

Usually the more notable changes are in the 'fine print':
External drive support
FileVault 2 supports encryption of external USB and FireWire drives.

Merge folders
When you try to combine two folders with the same name, the Finder now offers to merge them into a single folder.
(People bitch about this one a lot)

Browse the web with Safari
Recovery mode now includes the Safari web browser, so you can check your email or browse the Apple Support site.

Low-power wake
In OS X Lion, your Mac can wake up for services such as file sharing, backup, and more without the need to turn on the monitor or attached USB devices.

Enhanced runtime protection
Address space layout randomization (ASLR) has been improved for all applications. It is now available for 32-bit apps (as are heap memory protections)

Lookup
Double-tap with three fingers to select a word or phrase in any OS X application and look it up. OS X gathers information from the built-in dictionary and thesaurus, and goes to the web to bring back related Wikipedia entries.

My iPhone 4 has the cloud music sync already, Apple must have activated it today or something. I bought a song yesterday on my PC, it was noted in the iTunes store, and I clicked the cloud and it downloaded onto my iPhone, no syncing to the PC!!

This is one of those things the impact of which isn't apparent at first. I'll be getting an iPad 2 soon, and once the new iPhone comes out I'll upgrade to that, in addition my Macbook is due for a refresh, which will happen when Lion comes out. I'm starting to contemplate if my need for a Macbook is superfluous and instead I should get something more powerful.

I am shocked at iTunes Match and will be gobbling that up. $25 for them to unlock my entire CD collection (hundreds and hundreds of discs) on the iTunes store and push it to all my devices is not only a great deal, but also waaaay easier than uploading terabytes of data to Google.

Looks like my huge ripped CD collection, file server, and syncing over the wire is a thing of the past. I am quite happy with this.

Edit: On a side note, how can this possibly NOT be abused? It essentially runs on the honor system, you telling iTunes "yeah, I own this song, unlock on my iPhone please."

Last edited:
I like what I see in osx lion. I am disappointed that it isn't out yet. I am disappointed that they didn't 'one more thing' refresh the MacBook and MacBook air. All around, wwdc keynote was just boring. Half of it was iOS playing catch up with android.

They usually try and keep the hardware updates separate from WWDC. The Air refresh will probably be a silent one.

I don't like that Lion is going to be download only (4gb) and only from the App Store... very lame

I don't like that Lion is going to be download only (4gb) and only from the App Store... very lame

Actually, it's pretty cool. You pay for Lion once, and can then install it on all your authorized Macs until your blue in the face. And, once Lion is installed, you never have to re-download it.

I hope Lion will be able to be downloaded in DMG/ISO form. That way I can install it fresh.

It gets put into its own partition after it's installed. If you want to reinstall it fresh, you just boot into recovery mode.

I hope Lion will be able to be downloaded in DMG/ISO form. That way I can install it fresh.

I missed the point of it being download only but yea I agree. I've had my mac kill itself before and the idea of installing 10.6 so I can upgrade to 10.7 doesn't sound fun.

Rumors of an updated Time Capsule / Airport with local update caching so you don't have to download the same updates over and over for all of your machines or wait for them to download period. I'd imagine Lion would be cached there too.

I'm going to wait to get hands on with lion to make up my mind about it. i like some of the changes in it, but really need to see it first hand to decide.

i wonder if we can maintain the current version of mail on the ipad when update to 5.0 comes out.

I missed the point of it being download only but yea I agree. I've had my mac kill itself before and the idea of installing 10.6 so I can upgrade to 10.7 doesn't sound fun.

The point is optical media is on the way out, and, once installed, Lion never needs to be re-downloaded. You reinstall it by restarting with the Option key pressed, and booting into the recovery partition it created.

Last edited:
Sure, but how is this benefitting people who have already stolen the music (and have it stored locally)? That they get to have it in "iCloud" storage? Hardly that great of a benefit.

They get it in 256kbps AAC instead of the 128kbps crap-encode-job MP3 they downloaded.

They get it in 256kbps AAC instead of the 128kbps crap-encode-job MP3 they downloaded.

I guess, I just don't see it as that big of a problem for anyone involved. How would they differentiate between stolen music and legally ripped cd's?

The point is optical media is on the way out, and, once installed, Lion never needs to be re-downloaded. You reinstall it by restarting with the Option key pressed, and booting into the recovery partition it created.

Few months ago an apple update wipped the partition table off my mini. This is maybe the 3rd time I've seen it happen on an intel based mac. Don't know if I'd be able to hit the recovery partition off that. Hell if you loose a hard drive the idea of installing the old version and updating it to the point it can run the app store to re download the os and install it doesn't sound fun either.

To say it never needs to be re-downloaded is a complete joke. I can think of multiple times it would need to be done.

I've also seen a few apples that needed to be reloaded for other reasons over the years. I'd have to see how well their restore and reload works in this new os. Mind you we are starting to see more malware on the mac platform although so far it hasn't been a big issue. I've seen malware nail the recovery partition on pcs. It wouldn't surprise me to see something that is able to do the same thing on a mac.

I don't really mind downloading the software, I just want to be able to make a bootable disk with it. Something that will let me get into disk utilities, reset passwords, or reload a system after a hard drive replacement/upgrade. Hell just if you don't want the space taken up with the extra crap. I know a bunch of people that use to do manual installs of older osx versions to delete the extra few gigs of printer drivers.

If I can't get a disk. I'm staying on 10.6 Until my MBP dies and then back to PCs and Linux. That just does not sit right with me.

Between this and Microsoft making everything only for touch screens (Well I guess not only but the focus on it.) I really am going to be in a linux world (Guess I'm just getting old and cranky. All I need is a good shell and a web browser and all is well.

Apple will probably try to accommodate people that cannot get it downloaded, yet want 10.7. I mean what if they don't have reliable internet or strict bandwidth limits. My guess is that they'll have DVDs if requested.

If I can't get a disk. I'm staying on 10.6 Until my MBP dies and then back to PCs and Linux. That just does not sit right with me.

Between this and Microsoft making everything only for touch screens (Well I guess not only but the focus on it.) I really am going to be in a linux world (Guess I'm just getting old and cranky. All I need is a good shell and a web browser and all is well.

Microsoft isn't making everything for touchscreens. I don't think people realize what Windows 8 is going to be.

Back