WWDC 2011

I am shocked at iTunes Match and will be gobbling that up. $25 for them to unlock my entire CD collection (hundreds and hundreds of discs) on the iTunes store and push it to all my devices is not only a great deal, but also waaaay easier than uploading terabytes of data to Google.

Looks like my huge ripped CD collection, file server, and syncing over the wire is a thing of the past. I am quite happy with this.

Edit: On a side note, how can this possibly NOT be abused? It essentially runs on the honor system, you telling iTunes "yeah, I own this song, unlock on my iPhone please."

I am very curious how the "checking" tool will work. What stops people from making dummy files?

I attended today WWDC here in SF. I was very under-whelmed by the entire process. While there are some cool features with iOS 5 and Apple OS X(Lion) there really was not much else. The show has been stripped down toe bare essentials and nothing more. There are still plenty of classes to attend, but there is no vendor area anymore for the big booths on the show floor. That was usually the best part of Macworld/WWDC in years past. I could go in and attend some classes, schmooze with vendors, get a free lunch, attend more classes in the afternoon, then head home to my apartment at night and do it over again tomorrow.

Today has just left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like I did not get my $1500 worth...

I am very much a developer, as well as a network admin managing a mixed Windows/Apple/Linux for a school. One of the great things is that I use to bring some of my students to the show floor to let them get in "On the act" as it were.

There are a ton of engineers (as their should be) and I will def talk with them. But this year for whatever reason...they have really focused on the development side of things. Last year at WWDC, i could attend a networking topology class that dealt with ARD 3 and scripting to an extent. This year, there are only 2 classes dealing with Lion Server, but even that is somewhat "gimped" at this years show. Shit OS X (Lion/Lion Server) is not center stage. It is all about iOS 5 this year. While that is a good thing for everyday users, that does me no good as I do not need to develop on the iOS platform. I do want to develop for OS X, but that has taken a back seat it seems...

I am very curious how the "checking" tool will work. What stops people from making dummy files?

i was thinking the same exact thing. reminds me of my dc++ days when people would put entire directories of dummy files up just to meet quotas on some of the servers. smh:mad:

The point is optical media is on the way out, and, once installed, Lion never needs to be re-downloaded. You reinstall it by restarting with the Option key pressed, and booting into the recovery partition it created.

So if you have a bad hard drive, (which is not uncommon for macs at all), you have to install 10.6 and then 10.7 or what? That'll make my life more annoying for sure.

So, I got a younger sister who has spent a fair amount of money for her music. She doesn't back anything up. She spilled coffee on her Macbook and it died. When I got her a new one, Apple did a one time courtesy thing where they let us re-download all the songs she has purchased in the past. She is now moving to an iPad2, but her new Macbook might be broken again. Will she be able to download all her past music now w/ the new iCloud feature?

Maybe it will scan the song and try to recognize it like Shazam or SoundHound...? I would think it would have to be fancier than a simple artist/title/album ID3 tag lookup.

So if you have a bad hard drive, (which is not uncommon for macs at all), you have to install 10.6 and then 10.7 or what? That'll make my life more annoying for sure.

You'll have to get the recovery partition back somehow, yes. Be it loading from 10.6 and upgrading, or possibly creating from another Mac.

It's not all that uncommon of an industry practice. Several big name laptop makers already ship a recovery partition in order to save a few cents on shipping CDs with the computer. This case is just a tad different because Apple tries to make everything backwards-compatible, but Dell/HP won't support you if you try to remove and upgrade the OS they ship on the device.

So, I got a younger sister who has spent a fair amount of money for her music. She doesn't back anything up. She spilled coffee on her Macbook and it died. When I got her a new one, Apple did a one time courtesy thing where they let us re-download all the songs she has purchased in the past. She is now moving to an iPad2, but her new Macbook might be broken again. Will she be able to download all her past music now w/ the new iCloud feature?

According to the description on my update screen it will allow you to download all previous purchases as long as they are still available on itunes. If something was removed or no longer available for purchase, you will not be able to re-download it.

You'll have to get the recovery partition back somehow, yes. Be it loading from 10.6 and upgrading, or possibly creating from another Mac.

It's not all that uncommon of an industry practice. Several big name laptop makers already ship a recovery partition in order to save a few cents on shipping CDs with the computer. This case is just a tad different because Apple tries to make everything backwards-compatible, but Dell/HP won't support you if you try to remove and upgrade the OS they ship on the device.

Apple is not that good with backwards compatibility.

Anyway on that new dell notebook you can just make a set of recovery disks. You can also request that they provide you cds.

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

You can also just order a new dell with cds in the box from them.

Also as long as dell has drivers for a system they will support a newer version of windows on it if you buy the upgrade from them.

I think the main thing here is ios5 changes the iPad from a peripheral into a standalone device, which is a bigger deal than I think many realize.

I like the iCloud stuff, I'm routinely using a MacBook, iPhone, iPad and PC, and "where's-that song?-oh-right-I-bought-that-album-on-deviceX-and-haven't-synced-yet" syndrome has always been a pet peeve.

I think the main thing here is ios5 changes the iPad from a peripheral into a standalone device, which is a bigger deal than I think many realize.

It is way past due. Considering pretty much every other phone or tablet doesn't need a pc to setup.

Ok, so what would you rather do after replacing your hard drive. Download a shit load of updates for 10.6, or download 10.7?

Me thinks the later, but who am I to judge.

Ok, so what would you rather do after replacing your hard drive. Download a shit load of updates for 10.6, or download 10.7?

Me thinks the later, but who am I to judge.

I'm with you. Though I think you quoted the wrong person he seems to agree

My concern with iTunes Match is twofold:

1) ISP data caps. I'm an AT&T DSL customer now dealing with the new 150 GB cap, and combined with normal web usage and Netflix, I can see myself easily bursting the cap. If I want to sync a playlist several gigabytes in size, that's a big chunk of my monthly data allowance. The upside would be the initial download would be the largest one.

2) Tags. A lot of Apple's music tags capitalize articles and aren't contextual; Amazon's MP3 store suffers the same problem. I frequently have to re-tag music I purchase, either due to the tags circumventing grammatical convention, or from the songs being incorrectly categorized in a genre, or similar things. My iTunes music library is meticulously arranged and tagged (personal thing), and so I would have one device that was synced from my laptop with everything the way I like it, but the sync from iCloud to other iDevices would be Apple's files, tagged their way.

From what i've seen so far, icloud doesn't do anything with podcasts. Which is really the only thing that interests me.

I have a shuffle, nano, ipad and touch and don't listen to my itunes music on any of them. But I do use them for podcasts. Would be nice if I could subscribe to podcasts on my ipad. And it would be nice if it pushed the state of a podcast, where I started and stopped listening, to the other devices.

So I still have to sync everything to get my podcasts. And to charge. So icloud doesn't do anything for me that I can see.

For music I use satellite in my truck and pandora at home and if I have any other device with me it's for podcasts.

Yes, it works now. I downloaded a bunch of stuff onto my iPhone that I'd lost.

I also went back and rediscovered some apps that I previously bought that I'd since forgot about.

Thinking more about the iTunes Match thing, I wonder if they will only allow you to use iTunes match on songs ripped with iTunes. I seem to remember them doing that with the cover art or something a few versions ago. I don't think that restriction is there anymore, but that could be what they use to determine if you ripped it, or if it was downloaded.

Just my speculation though.

:edit: track names, it's the track names that can't be looked up if it wasn't imported with iTunes.

Apple limited covert art retrieval to songs ripped by iTunes? Track names can't be looked up if a file wasn't imported by iTunes?

...what the hell are you on about?

Apple limited covert art retrieval to songs ripped by iTunes? Track names can't be looked up if a file wasn't imported by iTunes?

...what the hell are you on about?

the artwork works fine on any song, I was wrong about that. It's lookup track names that is tied to only iTunes ripped songs, not necessarily on your compter though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the message you get when you attempt to get track names for a song in itunes that has anything other than some version of iTunes under the "encoded by" tag in "get info"

I was speculating that they possibly might use this restriction as a way to verify the matched songs were actually ripped by you.

Although not perfect, I could see them doing this. I wouldn't like it :(

You expect iTunes to get album information for tagless files? And what 'restriction' are you talking about?

Please stop speculating completely blindly.

Thinking more about the iTunes Match thing, I wonder if they will only allow you to use iTunes match on songs ripped with iTunes.

Nope. That’s why it’s called Match. They don’t care where you got it from; you pay the rate, you get to add it to the iCloud. Doesn’t matter how it wound up in your iTunes library.

Back