WWDC 2011 Coverage

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple kicked off WWDC 2011 today to announce some new stuff. Steve Jobs was there and he talked about clouds, lions and various other magical things.

Steve Jobs takes the stage. He's met with a standing ovation. Engadget: "We've got an awesome morning together, this morning. Thank you for coming so much." Macworld: Dan Moren: Someone shouted "I love you!" TUAW waits with breathless anticipation for what's about to be revealed.

Notifications in iOS is a BLATANT Android ripoff.....but I dont care. Android does it very well and It looks fantastic. Planning on trading my Samsung Fascinate for an iPhone 5 when it launches.

I don't care about OSX, but there was some cool stuff for iOS5, namely the OTA updates (cause iTunes sucks) and their knockoffs of Android notification and Blackberry Messenger.

My phone contract is up, so I'm not sure if I should switch to WP7 or Android. WP7 would be nice for my Zune Pass, so I'm going to wait and see how all these new phones play out this fall.

It looks to me as if Apple is once again trying to reinvent technology and take all the credit. This is getting tiresome.

It looks to me as if Apple is once again trying to reinvent technology and take all the credit. This is getting tiresome.

I love when they blatantly copy something, they throw in some bit about how "no one has ever done it like this." They did that today with their iCloud thing about how "no one has ever offered it for free!" Pretty sure there are dozens of free cloud storage/syncing utilities.

I love when they blatantly copy something, they throw in some bit about how "no one has ever done it like this." They did that today with their iCloud thing about how "no one has ever offered it for free!" Pretty sure there are dozens of free cloud storage/syncing utilities.

To be fair they were speaking about the ability to push a downloaded song to all devices and the internet instantly. That is a first in the cloud.

Was there anything mentioned that is actually going to be available anytime soon, everything seems to be 6+ months away?

To be fair they were speaking about the ability to push a downloaded song to all devices and the internet instantly. That is a first in the cloud.

That and they offer a $25/yr service that will match all of your pirated music to their 256kbit AAC legit files and push them to your devices. Any songs not matched can be uploaded and pushed to your devices that way.

That and they offer a $25/yr service that will match all of your pirated music to their 256kbit AAC legit files and push them to your devices. Any songs not matched can be uploaded and pushed to your devices that way.
That does me little good, 80% of the music I own/listen to is not available through iTunes.

Cliffnotes:
iCloud - Free, instantly syncs calendar, books (w/ current page position), email, contacts, documents, music, pictures, etc among all iOS devices and Macs
iOS 5 - Free, adds notifications, OTA updates, wifi iTunes syncing, no more need to connect to activate a device, wireless mirroring of iPad to TV w/ AppleTV, twitter integration, Apple version of BB Messenger, Game Center, Safari update with tabs, geolocation based reminders, Mail update, compatible with iPhone 3GS+
iTunes - Added Match feature
OSX Lion - $29.99, more multitouch, full screen applications, resume (state saving for applications), airdrop (p2p wireless file sharing), Mail update

That does me little good, 80% of the music I own/listen to is not available through iTunes.
If you read the second sentence of my post it says you can upload the files not available through iTunes and push them to your other devices.

Apple kicked off WWDC 2011 today to announce some new stuff. Steve Jobs was there and he talked about clouds, lions and various other magical things.

He should forget the lions and talk about ligers. It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

sounds like they just got themselves some anti-trust/legal problems for themselves if they did what was said (especially in Europe) - just like Microsoft did years ago wit IE and Windows Media Player - taking third party apps and incorporating them in the OS - exactly what Microsoft did and was what killed Netscape and why we have to download Microsoft's anti-virus software instead of it being directly integrated into it OS.

The other thing is the "cloud" what corporation in its reight mind will put sensitive data out in the cloud? where will this cloud reside - that is what country - Pres. Obama faced issues when he came into office trying to keep his Blackberry because everything went through Canada. And what about when countries (Egypt, Syria, Iran for example) pull the plug on the Internet link to the outsider world or China banning certain links - who wants to lose their data? in addition, it also is a pretty easy target for a DOS attack - keep everyone from their data - Apple has gotten by on obsurity before - we have no idea how they will handle a major attack on their iCloud site.

The data center is in North Carolina.

More info on the datacenter: http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/...-jobs-provides-a-look-inside-the-idatacenter/

Also, on the Match thing
Apple will fork over between $100 million and $150 million in advanced payments to the four major music labels in order to get its iCloud off the ground, three separate sources told The Post.
The Cupertino, Calif., tech giant has agreed to pay the labels between $25 million to $50 million each, as an incentive to get on board, depending on how many tracks consumers are storing.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/apple_pays_music_bigs_OcxlGqT1E0P5P9vzosxtyK

Notifications in iOS is a BLATANT Android ripoff.....but I dont care. Android does it very well and It looks fantastic. Planning on trading my Samsung Fascinate for an iPhone 5 when it launches.

I can't take credit for this one, but it nailed it: "Looks like Apple users are finally getting the Froyo update."

He showed the data center off at the end of the presentation

I don’t know man, the words “Apple” and “Cloud” in the same sentence translates to “Bend Over” and “Spread your Cheeks” for me.

Cliffnotes:
iCloud - Free, instantly syncs calendar, books (w/ current page position), email, contacts, documents, music, pictures, etc among all iOS devices and Macs
iOS 5 - Free, adds notifications, OTA updates, wifi iTunes syncing, no more need to connect to activate a device, wireless mirroring of iPad to TV w/ AppleTV, twitter integration, Apple version of BB Messenger, Game Center, Safari update with tabs, geolocation based reminders, Mail update, compatible with iPhone 3GS+
iTunes - Added Match feature
OSX Lion - $29.99, more multitouch, full screen applications, resume (state saving for applications), airdrop (p2p wireless file sharing), Mail update

You know, that makes having an iPhone sound not half bad. Don't get me wrong, I love my rooted/debloated/ROM'd and modded to the hilt Samsung Fascinate, but the ability to push songs and sync over wifi is pretty cool. And the iPhone has video out, the Fascinate does not - a feature I miss any time I want to present videos, photos, or documents that are on my phone. It's vastly easier to just hook up an adapter cable from my phone and its handy 16GB of memory than to have to take out my laptop and hook it up.

My next phone will have video out. Depending on how impressive the iPhone 5 is, it could be a contender. It's honestly Berizon's fault (bing + verizon). They keep nerfing phones or releasing wimpy ones compared to other carriers. It's depressing. AT&T got the Atrix forever ago, and T-Mo has had the G2X. Looks like the EVO 3D will be releasing on spring this month, likely earlier than anything truly impressive and current gen that Berizon will be offering.

I'm really holding out for Berizon's SGS2 variant. I really hope they don't trash it somehow. I'd like to stay w/google just for convenience if possible.

Good stuff in iOS, though. I expect the iPhone 5 to actually be impressive and competitive when it comes out. The iPhone 4 certainly was back when AT&T released it. It had antenna issues if you gave it the death grip, but it was a very competitive and capable device, as well as speedy, when compared to what else was available at that time.

Starts off slow, Schiller comes on and brags about Macs using "keyboards and mice to point at stuff" like they invented it (*cough*Xerox PARC is still hoping for their proper cut for creating it*cough*), then he goes on to rave about how the apps can run "full screen" and you can magically switch from full screen to the desktop and back... Oooo...

Honestly, and with all seriousness, I'm sitting here watching the keynote stream and I can't stop laughing at this stuff. I honestly, totally, from the heart, just can't stop laughing at anything this guy is saying so far. 10 things in Lion he's going on about that have been part of OSes for, oh, a while now and Apple was far from the first with 90% of them. I'll give them a little credit for some multitouch aspects, but that's it...

I'm gonna stop watching it before my lunch decides that's enough. Cupertino, you folks crack me right up.

You know, that makes having an iPhone sound not half bad. Don't get me wrong, I love my rooted/debloated/ROM'd and modded to the hilt Samsung Fascinate, but the ability to push songs and sync over wifi is pretty cool.

You can do that via WiFi using Winamp on Android.

Yeah and then what they forward the list to RIAA so you can get your nice letter in the mail? Nothx.

I attended today WWDC here in SF. I was very under-whelmed by the entire process. While there are some cool features with iOS 5 and Apple OS X(Lion) there really was not much else. The show has been stripped down toe bare essentials and nothing more. There are still plenty of classes to attend, but there is no vendor area anymore for the big booths on the show floor. That was usually the best part of Macworld/WWDC in years past. I could go in and attend some classes, schmooze with vendors, get a free lunch, attend more classes in the afternoon, then head home to my apartment at night and do it over again tomorrow.

Today has just left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like I did not get my $1500 worth...

Are you a developer? According to the slides there was 1 engineer for every five attendees. Thats a better ratio than our most elite universities! it sounds like it was light on the eye candy but heavy on the development...classes, engineers etc.

I am underwhelmed with iOS 5 it's basically caught up to where the jailbreak world was 2 years ago. I was really hoping for a new phone announcement. Also maps should have been updated immediately it is garbage in comparison to Android.

Are you a developer? According to the slides there was 1 engineer for every five attendees. Thats a better ratio than our most elite universities! it sounds like it was light on the eye candy but heavy on the development...classes, engineers etc.

I am very much a developer, as well as a network admin managing a mixed Windows/Apple/Linux for a school. One of the great things is that I use to bring some of my students to the show floor to let them get in "On the act" as it were.

There are a ton of engineers (as their should be) and I will def talk with them. But this year for whatever reason...they have really focused on the development side of things. Last year at WWDC, i could attend a networking topology class that dealt with ARD 3 and scripting to an extent. This year, there are only 2 classes dealing with Lion Server, but even that is somewhat "gimped" at this years show. Shit OS X (Lion/Lion Server) is not center stage. It is all about iOS 5 this year. While that is a good thing for everyday users, that does me no good as I do not need to develop on the iOS platform. I do want to develop for OS X, but that has taken a back seat it seems...

I am underwhelmed with iOS 5 it's basically caught up to where the jailbreak world was 2 years ago. I was really hoping for a new phone announcement. Also maps should have been updated immediately it is garbage in comparison to Android.

How so? Other than Google Navigation they appear at parity to me.

Yep. Totally blatant ripoff.

Yeah, I love how Apple sues Samsung because of some icons and the way they look, yet Apple then turns around and blatantly copies Android.

They were then talking about all this new functionality on the lockscreen like they created it. That type of ability has been on Android for awhile if you were rooted. It's a built in feature on CyanogenMod and MIUI now. New HTC phones running HTC Sense 3.0 have it too and while I despise Sense I must say Sense 3.0 is pretty slick.

Yeah and then what they forward the list to RIAA so you can get your nice letter in the mail? Nothx.

That was my first thought too. However, Apple would be in for a world of hurt if they did turn over your song lists.

I'm still pondering this one though. There are people out there with tens of thousands of songs and have never paid a penny for any of it. For $25 they can suddenly legitimize the entire collection? Makes you wonder if the RIAA is thinking "I bet we can catch people illegally downloading more songs now because they think they can download, sync with iCloud and be legitimate for $25/yr!"

I attended today WWDC here in SF. I was very under-whelmed by the entire process. While there are some cool features with iOS 5 and Apple OS X(Lion) there really was not much else. The show has been stripped down toe bare essentials and nothing more. There are still plenty of classes to attend, but there is no vendor area anymore for the big booths on the show floor. That was usually the best part of Macworld/WWDC in years past. I could go in and attend some classes, schmooze with vendors, get a free lunch, attend more classes in the afternoon, then head home to my apartment at night and do it over again tomorrow.

Today has just left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like I did not get my $1500 worth...

Well to be fair about it look on the bright side, Apple feels it did :D

I'm still pondering this one though. There are people out there with tens of thousands of songs and have never paid a penny for any of it. For $25 they can suddenly legitimize the entire collection? Makes you wonder if the RIAA is thinking "I bet we can catch people illegally downloading more songs now because they think they can download, sync with iCloud and be legitimate for $25/yr!"

I was thinking about this as I watched it last night...it almost seems like Apple extending people an amnesty for pirated music lol If I had a crapload of illegally download songs I think I would ge on for $25/year and have them all authenticated. Seems like a steal of a deal.

I was thinking about this as I watched it last night...it almost seems like Apple extending people an amnesty for pirated music lol If I had a crapload of illegally download songs I think I would ge on for $25/year and have them all authenticated. Seems like a steal of a deal.

From everything I've read, you don't get any "amnesty".

Of course they ARE getting a cut of the money, but that doesn't mean anything necessarily. Without a clear terms of service, so-far It only gives you remote access to all the songs in your library through a "cloud library" - regardless of how you got them. It doesn't give you any legal ok to continue possession of infringed media, and they don't give you legal tunes as replacements for the infringed ones. If they don't have a central copy of a tune, you can upload it.....but if it's infringed - it's still infringed.
The only thing I was wondering is if you original is low quality, and they cloud a 256 version - then you sync it to you ipod - and copy that one back to your original library, I guess you could get the better quality version..........still doesn't mean you have a legal tune though - just a better one.

It still wouldn't give you any legal recourse if it was infringed though as far as I can tell.

We won't have the real details until it launches this fall though.

You can do that via WiFi using Winamp on Android.

But Winamp doesn't integrate with my 4tab lockscreen .. On your iPhone/iPod lockscreen you have had instant music controls for years. Is it too much to ask for wireless music sync AND lockscreen controls? Do I have to unlock my screen just to skip a song I don't want to hear or find a song I do?

It's 2011. I want both features. :D

The hardware is certainly capable and has easily been since last year. I'm sick of all this dual core stupid spec pushing when software can't even elegently and consistently utilize the hardware we already have to its full potential.

I'm even more sick of manufacturers and carriers pairing up and combining their billions of dollars and multiple dozens of smart persons and still designing a vastly inferior experience than what volunteer developers do in their spare time with little to no compensation.

My samsung fascinate is incredible DESPITE verizon. That's not the way it should be. The one thing Apple has that keeps the iPhone from sucking is the same thing we enthusiasts HATE about them - control. It's a double edged sword. The iPhone maintains a consistent, not bogged down, and fluid user experience because Apple wouldn't let Verizon "Bing" it, CityID it, and put a bunch of other VZ CRAP on it.

I'm hoping the SGS2 variant verizon gets is a lot less modified than their original SGS variant was. With proper software and no bloat the Fascinate freaking flies, and is an incredible phone. If users got an experience like that out of the box, whatever phone delivered that experience would fly off the shelves. The main reason the iPhone 4 didn't do that for Verizon is because it launched SIX MONTHS LATE, but it flew off AT&T's shelves despite the deathgrip problems.

Back