wtf is with my card

master noran

2[H]4U
Hey, I've had my sapphire 4850 for a week now in my new rig and it's been a pain in the ass so far. I've tried and tried to overclock my 4850 using multiple programs and all have been buggy and haven't let me overclock my 4850. For example in the standard ati catalyst control the test says fail no matter which clocks I choose, stock or lower. atit tool doesint work at all, ati tray tools won't let me run bench or anything. and just about everything else like riva tune and amd gpu clock tool I can't even get to run. right now all the programs show my clocks are 500/990 and it's pissing me off. I've tried to go back to default settings but it runs 500/990 as default. I have control of the fan and stuff but that's about it.

Help?

edit: forgot to mention im running win 7, build 7000

500 core at idle is normal, if it stays at 500 MHz when you start a game, that's a problem.
It should only go up to 625 MHz when the card is under load.

I started up l4d, started playing and saw almost no detail, before I could see the tattoos clearly on the biker guy, I went into options and put everything on highest, detail was on medium. I started the game up again and it froze and I had to tab out. I started it up again with the highest settings and still no details. whenever I tab out the catalyst control values jump from 500 to 625 and 990 to 993, but I still don't have the performance I had until I tried to overclock this thing.

Well... you are running a BETA version of an UNRELEASED and UNSUPPORTED OS....

That being said... if ATI CCC fails everything even in Vista or XP, then I would say you have a fualty card. If it works fine in Vista or XP, I would say that it is because of Windows 7.

I have no way of trying it in a diff system or a diff os. If It was faulty wouldn't there be more signs?

edit: ok, as weird as it sounds. Now the cards runs at 625/993 games running or not. on a fresh restart.

Well.. if it is locking up and ATI CCC is failing whatever clocks you put it at..... that is a pretty good sign that it may be bad.

Of course it could just be the drivers and/or some other utility that messed up some registry setting or something.

What about removing all the vid card utilities as well as uninstalling the driver and then starting over?

I could try that, also could it be a power supply problem? I just finished getting my system stable at 3.2 with a e7400. My power supply is a 535 watt enremax. Do you mean utilities as in the overclocking programs?

edit: I still have detail issues in l4d

If you are having issues with gaming the first thing you need to do is put your CPU back to stock and as cyclone3d pointed out you are also running a BETA version of an OS. So right there are 2 possible issues.

Well.. if it is locking up and ATI CCC is failing whatever clocks you put it at..... that is a pretty good sign that it may be bad.

That is not a pretty good sign that it may be bad. It's a pretty good sign that CCC is not totally compatible with the C++ and the .net libraries or whatever it's written with in the Windows 7 Beta as you originally stated.

Ok, I uninstalled all the other OC software, tried to uninstall ati catalyst crap and I waited close to 20 min for it to uninstall it was just looping the uninstall bar over and over. So this time I chose the repair option and l4d is back to normal. Although i'm at stock right now. I'm gonna try to go back to the settings I was at before and see how it is. Could this be a power supply problem? should I get a beefier PS?

Yeah, anyway, the repair took care of the problems in l4d. The clock with jump from 500/990 to 625/993 when playing a game. it seems to work ok while overclocked (cpu I mean)

Thanks for the help

Back