WTF is This?

Sorry Zotac, it looks neat, but unless I already A) own one of your cards, B) have painted my computer case to match the General Lee, and C) Harvested from the money tree in the back yard, I'm gonna have to pass. Make this thing $25 to $40, give it a decent paint job like black, white, and silver, and make it compatible with other manufacturer's video cards and it will sell like hotcakes. I predict computer geeks and the like will be full of these in 6 month to a year.
 
At first look I think WTF? BUT, after some thought it really could be useful if it were more visually appealing and more compatiable like most of the previous posters said.

I don;t buy cases with neon lights and dial controllers on it. I buy something simple and tuck the case under my desk in a corner. I don't dig into it every other week like some folks here.
A display such as this would great if it were on my desk just slightly up from my mouse.

Give me all the important vitals on it and let me adjust on the fly. fan speeds, cpu temp, FPS, OC abilities, etc....
 
Software OCing sucks and what is this but a really expensive implementation of software OCing?

Also, why no actual numbers for temp and fan speed? Talk about worthless.
 
This falls under the "Nice concept, useless toy" category for most of the Hard folks on here. We're comfortable enough alt tabbing to use an app... so for those of us with money to burn (and no taste in colours, like the orange that screams "LOOK AT ME, I'M TACKY TOO!")... I can see this only being meaningful towards a very small slice of the niche market. That is, if it works fine on other nVid cards and not locked down to one vendor.

I'm with the other folks who mentioned the orange has got to go... and this seems more like a bundle item to increase the "value" of a card rather than being a separately bought add-on.

Include it with the cards themselves and keep the price adjustment to under $50 and you might have a few more takers.
 
I think we are falling into the erra of this can do this for you. graphics can do, windows can do, mobo can do and we can't do anything we want to do, pretty soon it will all be done for us and we just sit there staring at the screen:p.
 
Hi everyone. Let me introduce myself, I'm the North American PR representative for ZOTAC.

The item in question is our NITRO hardware overclocking controller. The device interfaces with your PC via USB and lets you overclock your graphics core, shader and memory clocks without having to exit full-screen games or applications. You can also monitor your GPU temperature and manually adjust the GPU fan speed as well.

Here's an image with the display on.

2854422416_b26fe02b38_b_d.jpg


Feel free to ask me any questions on the unit, or if email me if you'd like at tuan at zotac dot com.

Thanks.

With all due respect, the image you provided means nothing. It is a marketing image which does not show the product in-use at all. I'm surprised you can't see this because their is no connection from the unit to a computer.

Show us via clear video how the product works.

Show the product being used in a real world environment.

If you can't then STFU and GTFO.

Marketing BS has no play here.
 
People overclock while they are playing a game? Like OMG My FPS isn’t fast enough to beat this guy I better alt-tab to OC?

I am, admittedly, a very casual over clocker. The NV tuner lets me play with settings, save them, play a game/3dmark to see if it artifacts or crashes, go back play some more.

What’s the advantage to doing all this while playing?
 
From Canada Computers, you can buy a Zotac 9600GT for $126.99 CD instead of spending another 126US to buy an overclocking device to squeeze a tiny lil more performance, you can buy a 9800GTX AMP edition for $221.99

So i personally see no point in buying a device that costs me 126 to get a little more performance when i can put that money towards buying a better card all together...and then using Riva Tuner / ATi tool to overclock for free and have soem fun doing it.
 
The temp sensor would actually be pretty cool if it was digital. Can't we already do that and a lot more with a matrix orbital and some software though?
 
It's just another way to try to coax people into getitng into Overclocking.

I quit OCing a while back, for one reason: hardware is cheaper than it's ever been before...the only reason I OCed was because in those days, it took 6-8 months of saving just to afford a Slot 1 Celeron since I was so damn poor. A PSU fan replacment took a week to get the cash for.

So, I learned to OC like a mofo....100% OC was the baseline for me. Later, when i ahd cash, but lived in an aprtment that had no AC (and installatrion was forbidden), I adapted that into max cooling efficicency at stock clock speeds.

Now I've adapted it into silent computing...but am not evolving yet again into "power efficient comoputing".

Honestly, I think the overclocker crowd is thinning out since there just isn't a need for it anymore....performance is easily affordable, and hardware is incredibly cheap anymore....so it's just the more engineering minded folks that do it.

That said....$130 can be spent on a better videocard, that will probably clock far faster than OCing a cheap card will give you.
 
With all due respect, the image you provided means nothing. It is a marketing image which does not show the product in-use at all. I'm surprised you can't see this because their is no connection from the unit to a computer.

Show us via clear video how the product works.

Show the product being used in a real world environment.

If you can't then STFU and GTFO.

Marketing BS has no play here.

We do not have a video showing how it works yet.

However, its quite simple, the button functions change depending on the menu you're in.

It cycles through Core -> Shader -> Memory -> Fan-speed. You can adjust the clock speeds in +/- 5 MHz increments. The manual fan-speed adjustments are in +/- 5% speed increments.

The device interfaces with our ZOTAC FireStorm overclocking software. The device is also update-able in the future for new features. We're dedicated to the product and will continue to enhance it in the future.
 
Sorry all about the above post, stoopid work 'puter won't let me edit...

Zotec Guy, answer the obvious question - WTF were you guys thinking? Do you actually have ANY data that supports people wanting to shell out 99 buck for something this worthless? How can you even justify that? $10-$20, maybe, but more than that is a joke... :rolleyes:

 
Sorry all about the above post, stoopid work 'puter won't let me edit...

Zotec Guy, answer the obvious question - WTF were you guys thinking? Do you actually have ANY data that supports people wanting to shell out 99 buck for something this worthless? How can you even justify that? $10-$20, maybe, but more than that is a joke... :rolleyes:

I was not involved in R&D. But we've had enough interest for retail and OEM to start production :).
 
Back
Top