WTB: Dirt Cheap- Need 2GB or 4GB Sticks DDR3 (If ECC, Then MUST be "non Rregistered/non Buffered") for HP N54L Microserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

topcat989

Extremely [H]
Whelp, bought an HP n54L Microserver for a new unRAID setup, and unfortunately I let it sit in the box for 6 months before opening it and getting started....except it won't start. Well it starts, but no video. So I can't tell if it's even posting. I hit the local thrift store and bought another VGA monitor and cord to go with the ones I already had. Just in case it was a bad cord or monitor. No dice. Switched around the 2x 4gb matched RAM sticks, in pairs and in singletons. No dice.

UPDATE: The RAM that came with the server was indeed "registered" so 99.9% likely that's my issue. Now looking for 2GB or 4GB sticks of DDR 3 RAM, does *NOT* have to be ECC, but if is, must *NOT* be registered ie: buffered

So to eliminate bad memory or bad VGA port, I need new memory and a PCIe Low Profile (SFF) graphics card to drop in and test out. NO LONGER NEEDED

Memory must be DDR 3, 2GB or 4GB stick(s), and bonus if on the list here: https://n40l.fandom.com/wiki/Memory. And cheap, as in dirt. It's just for helping me troubleshoot.

also:

Does not support registered (buffered) modules. Using registered modules will result in the server failing to POST/boot.

Shipping to zip 79416

Thanks, any help along these lines is appreciated.

Last edited:
Zip code would help with shipping estimate. I don't require any other payment as I'd rather not e waste them. I've got a pile of DDR3 that you could try samsung crucial and corsair mostly.

I have 3 sticks of DDR3-1333 ECC ram you can have for shipping costs. Most likely USPS small flat rate box.

Zip code would help with shipping estimate. I don't require any other payment as I'd rather not e waste them. I've got a pile of DDR3 that you could try samsung crucial and corsair mostly.

Done

I have 3 sticks of DDR3-1333 ECC ram you can have for shipping costs. Most likely USPS small flat rate box.

only thing is ECC must be unregistered (unbuffered). Also what sizes are they?

I have (2) sticks of Ampo 3amo1600d3, pulled from a working machine and have been sitting on the parts shelf...

4gb ECC UDimm
just cover shipping

Estimator says $12.84 to your zip from here for 3 different sets of kingston ,samsung, and crucial. The kingston and samsung are 2x2 and the crucial is 2x4 just let me know.

Just a thought - If you have the remote access card installed, the video comes out of that, and not the vga on the motherboard…

Just a thought - If you have the remote access card installed, the video comes out of that, and not the vga on the motherboard…

Nope, not installed. I'm really hoping it's the RAM the seller installed before shipping. The RAM it came with was a separate deal, and it seems seller didn't test if it worked in the 54l or not. Seller did say VGA did work for him, though. I'd love for it to be as simple as the wrong or defective RAM. Because if it's not....

UPDATE: The RAM that came with the server was indeed "registered" so 99.9% likely that's my issue. Now looking for 2GB or 4GB sticks of DDR 3 RAM, does *NOT* have to be ECC, but if is, must *NOT* be registered ie: buffered

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back