WTB 2.5" SSD/HDD120GB or better

Metformin

Gawd
I just bought a laptop for my Mother and I'm having trouble with the current HDD installed. Laptop is a HP DV6000 currently running Windows 7 Home Premium.Laptop originally has Vista Home Premium on it.I setup the laptop using the windows 7 drivers and drivers from windows update.It still has 2 base system devices that I can't find the drivers for.Problem with current HDD is once you try to use the laptop,the HDD activity light just runs and runs and runs.Laptop gets completely bogged down.I tried disabling superprefetch,but no luck.I'm looking for a HDD or SSD to install to see if it makes a difference.

I'm trying to buy a 500 GB SSD from another member here, if that works I can sell you a Samsung 128GB SSD 830 series fairly cheaply. Mum needs needs her PC working quickly....
Its little used as I recall - its my transport file SSD, and in use until a few moments ago. I'll PM you a number.

Well,I got a SSD and it was not the problem.Turns-out there was a motherboard recall on the DV6000's.Supposedly the Nvidia Chipset used for the motherboard's are defective.Scrapped the dv6000,back on the look-out for a laptop.

Oh yep, the HP DV6000's had a terrible issue with the chipsets!

That didn't even register when I read the original post.

If ya look around the net or google that laptop, there is an awesome article/post/tutorial at one of the big websites for baking the motherboard.

I knew a fella south of me about 50 miles that did that a few years ago and was successful baking the board.

Yeah,I saw that while Google searching.Would have tried to bake it but I don't have an oven specifically for that.Not using the stove I use for cooking for that purpose.(Hey honey,why does the pork roast smell like burnt electronics and leaky capacitors)?

Hey honey,why does the pork roast smell like burnt electronics and leaky capacitors

Yea, no kidding.

I baked a video card once and used a cookie sheet to keep from any weird crap happening in the oven. Worked just fine.

Still, it did smell up the kitchen for awhile. Had to open up windows while it was baking. :p

Back