WT, very weird

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
I dont know what is wrong with my computer anymore. Im kind of fed up with it. My computer somehow crashed while I was asleep, so I woke up to a non-working computer. It kept saying disk boot failure no matter what boot device I put 1st, 2nd... etc.

I put in my Windows XP cd and didnt hit a button to made it boot from it, and it went right into Windows like it would any other time.

WTF??

sounds like a few things, some that can be bad, some that might not be bad...
I'll go with the least bad and most likely first - sounds like your Windows need to be reinstalled as it has been corrupted...
If that is not the case then you may have a bad hard drive
But most likely the OS needs a reinstall and you'll be fine

yeah toss that hd in another syetem and see if it gives you probems, then copy your shit over, format and reintal, and see if that fixes it, if it does you should be all good if not your gonna eed a new HD (probably) it could be the elusive "something elce" (millions of moving parts and units relying on the movment of sub atomic particles, can just get bitchy sometimes)

good luck

I had a similar incident on a PC I was working on. HD cable was loose. Rarely Windows would load. Although, when I installed Windows, it would always boot the first time, when a rebooted, it wouldnt load Windows. The last 2 pins of the cable didnt full contact the HD

It sounds to me like your system is overclocked and you either have to compensate with more voltage or turn back the overclock.

MY system is at stock speeds right right now. My PC4000 wont let me overclock at all... my 3200 let me reach 430fsb.

I think my HDD is going bad, but Im not sure. Im going to have to buy a new hdd and check it out. I was planning on getting one anyways...

Anyone have 80f SATA hdd for sale?

MY system is at stock speeds right right now. My PC4000 wont let me overclock at all... my 3200 let me reach 430fsb.

was it overclocked when you shut it down?
were you clocking it prior to bedtime?
did it exibit any weirdness the night before?

could be that you've corrupted windows by overclocking ,
which , i'm sure that all of us here have experienced that
;)

I havent overclocked since this last install of Windows... =). I corrupted Windows 9 times in 3 days, I learned my lesson. Im going to get out a 2gig drive and use it for test runs or something, hehe

ActiveSMART is a little utility I found forever ago. You have to enable SMART in your BIOS, but this little utility will let you know if somehting is going wrong. If you have Windows setup to turn off your disks after a certain period of time, it'll go nuts with an alert, so be aware of that. :p

Back