Wraith Prism questions?

I am running the Wraith Prism cooler on my Ryzen 7 3700X at stock clocks. The fan is constantly fluctuating, between 523 and 1165 RPM's. On the desktop it isn't noticeable. I have been watching it in HW monitor since about 15 mins ago when, during a gaming session of PUBG, the fans were constantly fluctuating and without warning the computer shut down. Any ideas?

Disable any temperature based bios conyrol and try running it at full speed...I found that even with me being used to $30 quiet radiator fans it wasn't really bothersome.

Bad out of the box cooler and or mounting?

No, I have had it mounted for a while. Everything has been fine until my RX 5700 XT Challenger card got here. Previous to that, everything was fine with my GTX 1070(same build since Zen 2 launch). Updated to the newest BIOS this afternoon after 2 clean installs. All of which is documented in the AMD video cards section. Not really sure what to make of all of it.

No, I have had it mounted for a while. Everything has been fine until my RX 5700 XT Challenger card got here. Previous to that, everything was fine with my GTX 1070(same build since Zen 2 launch). Updated to the newest BIOS this afternoon after 2 clean installs. All of which is documented in the AMD video cards section. Not really sure what to make of all of it.

You know, would you humor me a d try the card in the second PCI-E 16x slot? It doesn't matter for this if the card only gets 8 lanes just want to see if the issue persists or it goes away.

My guess would be a fan that’s failing, dropping below the minimum RPM and the computer shutting down due to a fan fault to save the cpu from overheating.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
In my experience, there are 2 things that will cause the computer to shut off abruptly like that:

1) Bad thermals, where the new video card is dumping a lot of extra heat over the CPU that it did not have to deal with before. By moving the card to the other slot, this is essentially what ccityinstaller is asking you to test for.

2) Overstressed power supply. Wherein although the video card and CPU do not exceed the wattage rating of the power supply, the power supply does not have enough ass to juice up the new video card the way it wants to be, and then randomly forces the power supply into a protective shut off. This is what DrDoU is suggesting. I had a computer I built for my brother-in-law where he bought his own video card, a Radeon RX-580, for it. So I built it with what I had sitting around - a Geforce 560, I think, and had no problems with it whatsoever. He gets that RX-580 in there and the computer shuts itself off shortly after he starts gaming on it. He had to replace the power supply to fix the issue. I had another friend that upgraded from a pair of GeForce 670 cards in SLI mode that were in his Alienware Core i7-920 desktop to a GeForce 1070. You'd think the power supply could handle that, but no - it behaved EXACTLY like my brother-in-law's did, which is how I knew to have him replace the power supply. It's all good now. Sometimes newer cards stress older power supplies in ways that they were just not designed to handle...

In my experience, there are 2 things that will cause the computer to shut off abruptly like that:

1) Bad thermals, where the new video card is dumping a lot of extra heat over the CPU that it did not have to deal with before. By moving the card to the other slot, this is essentially what ccityinstaller is asking you to test for.

2) Overstressed power supply. Wherein although the video card and CPU do not exceed the wattage rating of the power supply, the power supply does not have enough ass to juice up the new video card the way it wants to be, and then randomly forces the power supply into a protective shut off. This is what DrDoU is suggesting. I had a computer I built for my brother-in-law where he bought his own video card, a Radeon RX-580, for it. So I built it with what I had sitting around - a Geforce 560, I think, and had no problems with it whatsoever. He gets that RX-580 in there and the computer shuts itself off shortly after he starts gaming on it. He had to replace the power supply to fix the issue. I had another friend that upgraded from a pair of GeForce 670 cards in SLI mode that were in his Alienware Core i7-920 desktop to a GeForce 1070. You'd think the power supply could handle that, but no - it behaved EXACTLY like my brother-in-law's did, which is how I knew to have him replace the power supply. It's all good now. Sometimes newer cards stress older power supplies in ways that they were just not designed to handle...

You got half of what I was checking for...the other is to make sure the primary slot isn't having issues. I had some funky issues like that with an old AM3 setup..moving the GPU to the 2nd slot and it worked just fine.

I had gotten the system since the owner thought it was dead. I upgraded the GPU and ram and make it a donor to a needy kiddo.

You got half of what I was checking for...the other is to make sure the primary slot isn't having issues. I had some funky issues like that with an old AM3 setup..moving the GPU to the 2nd slot and it worked just fine.

I had gotten the system since the owner thought it was dead. I upgraded the GPU and ram and make it a donor to a needy kiddo.

Fair enough, but since he replaced a working video card, I had assumed the slot would be fine. :)

As power supplies age their ability to handle short duration current spikes gets reduced due to aging of components such as capacitors.
This is likely to be a bigger problem now than a few years ago since computers will sip power in a low power state and then suddenly draw 500+W as the CPU and GPU load up game assets.
The power supply may be able to handle the average load for a specified number of watts but if there is short duration (milliseconds) high current draw the voltage on the rail might dip below the under-volt protection limit.
In many power supplies the undervolt protection is linked to the short circuit protection which shuts it down.

I also have a 3700X with the prism and my fan fluctuates a lot and quickly as well. I don't think it's a fan or cooler problem at all. My board is a gigabyte, if that matters.
I think there may be a setting in the bios for how fast the fan responds to temperature changes, but I haven't spent any time looking for that yet. There may be a way to smooth out the quick jumps in fan speed.
Also at one point I did have my cooler not fully mounted properly by accident. The lever flips over and partially stops at an angle. The cooler seems solid, but that's not how it should be mounted. The handle has to go further and be parallel to the board. Make sure it's all the way over and not pointed up at around a 30 to 45 degree angle. That could maybe cause the pressure to be too low which could cause overheating in theory at least.

edit: my fan doesn't fluctuate much during gaming, just at the desktop while browsing the web

OK, sorry for the late reply everyone. I think I solved this one:

The Asus Fan Xpert 4 that is included with the AI suite had forced the CPU and chassis fans to run in 'silent' mode. The Prism does not fluctuate any longer since I disabled ( uninstalled ) it. Previous to the other day when I had to reinstall everything in order to troubleshoot my RX 5700 XT, I had not installed/used this software, so I didn't have this problem when I first built the PC.

All this after I went out this morning and bought a Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 PSU. Oh well, at least I can rest easy knowing I have a newer, better PSU in my PC now.

Cool story:
So when I originally bought this setup, I had bought a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M motherboard, because I wanted to build an m-atx build, instead of a larger ATX build. But I couldn't decide on a case that I liked, so I built it using the above Asus Prime X370 Pro board that I had originally purchased for a 2700 build I was going to do for a flip. I added the Asrock Challenger RX 5700 XT card later, because I was waiting for the AIB cards to come in stock at Newegg, so I was originally using my EVGA GTX 1070 SC card.

Flash forward to yesterday, when I finally got the case I decided on, and took apart everything and built using the Gigabyte B450 Aorus M board, with my 3700x, Asrock Challenger RX 5700 XT, and 32GB G.Skill Trident Z rgb ram. Still using the stock cooler, the Wraith Prism, I am back at square 1.

I am back to the fan ramping up, because the voltage is ramping up. It doesn't matter if I am playing a game, or idle on the desktop, or browsing/watching YT/Netflix/etc. It is constant. And, this time, I did not install the Gigabyte software, including their fan controller.

I am confused by the whole entire affair, and frankly, I am reaching my end with it all. I may, for funzies, try this setup out with my GTX 1070, just to see what happens. Yeah, I think I will go do that while I wait to see what everyone has to say.

I have a 5700xt b450 and 3600 cpu with Wraith Prism that was included with my 3900x I didnt use on that chip.

I have zero stability issues like you report.

I am using a 1000 watt Corsair HX 1000i power supply.

I am betting your culprit is your PSU once you added that GPU it can't handle the load.

Cool story:
So when I originally bought this setup, I had bought a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M motherboard, because I wanted to build an m-atx build, instead of a larger ATX build. But I couldn't decide on a case that I liked, so I built it using the above Asus Prime X370 Pro board that I had originally purchased for a 2700 build I was going to do for a flip. I added the Asrock Challenger RX 5700 XT card later, because I was waiting for the AIB cards to come in stock at Newegg, so I was originally using my EVGA GTX 1070 SC card.

Flash forward to yesterday, when I finally got the case I decided on, and took apart everything and built using the Gigabyte B450 Aorus M board, with my 3700x, Asrock Challenger RX 5700 XT, and 32GB G.Skill Trident Z rgb ram. Still using the stock cooler, the Wraith Prism, I am back at square 1.

I am back to the fan ramping up, because the voltage is ramping up. It doesn't matter if I am playing a game, or idle on the desktop, or browsing/watching YT/Netflix/etc. It is constant. And, this time, I did not install the Gigabyte software, including their fan controller.

I am confused by the whole entire affair, and frankly, I am reaching my end with it all. I may, for funzies, try this setup out with my GTX 1070, just to see what happens. Yeah, I think I will go do that while I wait to see what everyone has to say.

I had a similar issue, but my problem was that the Ryzen power plan was never actually installed or got screwed up when I installed the AI Suite. The only way to fix it was to uninstall the AI Suite and then force install an old version of the Ryzen power plan, and then update the chipset drivers again. Without doing that, my CPU wouldn't throttle down and it ran in the mid 50's.

Make sure you are on the latest BIOS revision for the board, and have the latest AMD chipset drivers installed. I say this because there were issues with earlier BIOS revisions pushing higher idle voltage to the CPU, and older chipset drivers causing the CPU to ramp up clocks to max at the drop of a hat.

You said the fan was speeding up and down but never mentioned if the temps were fluctuating as well. Or what power supply. Anyway if you change the card back to the original and the same thing does not happen then I would bet either you got a bad card or that your PSU just can not supply enough power to the system anymore. I did not see what size you PSU was anywhere but I do know when I got a bad 5700XT card it would reboot anytime I tried to even install just the drivers on it. I returned it and went with an NVidia card and all is well with my system. But if you put one new component in and the system was fine before then it is either that component is bad or is drawing to much power and causing the power levels of the CPU to move to much.

As previously stated earlier in the thread when I started having the issue in August, I changed the PSU out for a Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w psu. The power supply has more than enough juice for the card.

I am indeed on the latest bios for the board, I updated it all before I even installed windows. I updated to the newest chipset drivers that were available on Gigabytes website for the board. Tell me more about the Ryzen power plan.

As previously stated earlier in the thread when I started having the issue in August, I changed the PSU out for a Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w psu. The power supply has more than enough juice for the card.

I am indeed on the latest bios for the board, I updated it all before I even installed windows. I updated to the newest chipset drivers that were available on Gigabytes website for the board. Tell me more about the Ryzen power plan.

I've solved the fluctuating fan issue by installing ASUS AI Suite and configuring a fan curve there.

Attachments

• curve.png
    curve.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 0

When you go into Control Panel -> Power Options, do you see an "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan available to pick from?

I'll be the first to tell you that I didn't do a deep dive into the differences between the Ryzen power plan and the regular MS one, but I had symptoms like yours with fluctuating voltage causing temperature spikes, etc. until I installed the power plan. And for whatever reason, it wasn't as easy for me as just installing the chipset drivers. This was after I installed the Asus AI Suite and I think that the DIP5, etc. screws up the power plan.

Yeah, I have the power plan installed then, because last night I watched the hardware canucks video and they talked about it there and I was looking at it then.

Not that this will likely make a difference in your case, but it is generally better to get the AMD chipset drivers from the AMD website.

Sounds more like he is talking about the led lights as that can make it look like that going up and down spikes after 4:20 pm

Last edited:
Yeah, you right brah. I just was smoking the reefer, and looked at the pretty, blinky lights, and there is no real problem here.

Last edited:
Back to the issue...

I've solved the fluctuating fan issue by installing ASUS AI Suite and configuring a fan curve there.

I just did this, and hopefully it helps. I set the points in the Gigabyte fan suite to be similar to yours. I hope I find a more concrete solution besides shutting off boost in the bios, fan curves, or spending more money on cooling sometime soon.

Back