• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wow things have changed quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam... Games... Steam. That is your only issue from what you yourself have said 100s of times now.

Games are probably the biggest part of me because gaming drove the costs of the hardware I use currently. Without gaming, I'd have only spent a fraction of the money on my current setups as I did. But there's a lot more that I do than game on my PCs.

I think you have to consider that... the vast majority of PCs in the world do not have steam installed and are not being used by gamers. Unless your counting face book games.

I've never said otherwise. I've ALWAYS said that how well desktop Linux would work for someone depends on the hardware and software they use.

​
There are of course quite a few of us gaming and using steam on Linux just fine thanks.

Sure, there are games for Linux, no one said otherwise. The choices are far more limited compared to Windows.

​
As far as all the but windows choice goes... Linux is still growing no matter how you want to spin BS steam usage numbers.

Sure, desktop Linux has been growing for 20 years.
​
 
I've given up on 4k even under Windows, at least Valve have finally rectified the scaling issues with Steam.

4k and high DPI work MUCH better under current Windows 10 than prior versions. No it's not perfect and even in apps that actually do scale well there can be dialogs here and there in those apps that don't. But I don't generally find 4k or high DPI a problem with what I use. Steam getting there was about the last big thing for me personally.
 
Sure, there are games for Linux, no one said otherwise. The choices are far more limited compared to Windows. ​

The life choices of doing things right are far more limited than the wrong ones, too. Your point?
 
  • Like
Reactions: ChadD
like this
The life choices of doing things right are far more limited than the wrong ones, too. Your point?

I find it curious how so many pro desktop Linux fans champion the wonders of choice. Unless those choices aren't available under Linux and then choice suddenly becomes a dirty word.
 
I find it curious how so many pro desktop Linux fans champion the wonders of choice. Unless those choices aren't available under Linux and then choice suddenly becomes a dirty word.

The choice to support the detriment of computing is not one anyone should make. World needs choices over Windows. Microsoft treats you like shit and you continue to shell money to it. Why?
 
For you there may be a better choice and I'm happy for you. Your choices are not my choices. Please respect the fact I make my own choices as I respect the choices you make.
 
I will admit I toyed around with Manjaro Gnome on my "new" laptop, an i7 quad core workstation laptop with an Nvidia Optimus setup (which I personally hate but I'll survive) Quadro K2100M 2GB in it and was pleasantly surprised at just how damned smoothly it ran overall. Everything ran great, and I'm even considering giving it a go as a host OS for a short period of time but I need to do more research as the rolling release nature seems to bork VMware rather consistently and that's a bit of an issue for me personally.

But if I can get a rock solid Manjaro build and VMware working stable and solid I'll end up converting my current Windows 7 Pro daily runner to a VM and then just run it as a guest and see how things go.

Damned impressed with Manjaro and I just started using it literally 20 hours ago.

Before I went back to debian I had tried Manjaro (twice actually) and this is why I went back to debian. I need VMWare for work and they cannot help but break it every few cycles.

Of course Fedora broke it too...
 
For you there may be a better choice and I'm happy for you. Your choices are not my choices. Please respect the fact I make my own choices as I respect the choices you make.

It is interesting how many pro desktop Linux will tell others exactly this. How one's personal choices aren't everyone's personal choices. Choice is great, UNTIL it's a choice they don't like.
 
It is interesting how many pro desktop Linux will tell others exactly this. How one's personal choices aren't everyone's personal choices. Choice is great, UNTIL it's a choice they don't like.
Uh, if you can't see why it's existentially wrong to support a company that has killed practically all competition off the market and now abuses its position blatantly - nothing can be said to you or the likes of you. You deserve the abuse.
 
It is interesting how many pro desktop Linux will tell others exactly this. How one's personal choices aren't everyone's personal choices. Choice is great, UNTIL it's a choice they don't like.

You are free to use windows all you like as is anyone else. If that is your choice fine, some people choose to drive cars I find terrible as well. I can laugh at them and most people seems to understand its in jest. Windows supporters seem to take their choice to use MS operating systems a bit more personally. I can only imagine its because unless your a MS employee (and even if you are) you have to convince yourself your doing the right thing as well. ;) (see half in jest)

Seriously though sure most of us view MS as an evil company still... where as MS defenders tend to hold the opinion naaa they only used to be evil. After all the trips to court and MS admissions most people accept that they where some level of nefarious with out question in their past.

If your excuse for putting up with a industry locust like MS is that they only had a period of Evil and I forgive them cause GAMES. Your weak imo. I know that sounds extremely harsh... and sure I guess in your case Heatle you love VR and fine windows is the only place to get that done right now. (also to be completely transparent in the last number of years I have kept windows drives around on and off for specific games I admit to being weak myself lol) If VR and AAA gaming is your thing hey windows is the best OS for that at the moment at least, and possibly for awhile yet. Still you seem to not understand the nature of the industry as a whole, the vast majority don't care about AAA games. The average user doesn't need to power AAA games and even less are ever going to be using a PC for VR. For average people Windows is not the best operating system choice, not by a long shot. Of course GNU/Linux may not be either to be honest (I would still argue its a massive step up)... for good or bad ChromeOS is starting to gain a lot of traction. (its getting Linux software support shortly we'll see how that goes) While watching the NHL playoffs the last few days I have seen Google ChromeOS ads almost as often as the beer commercials... You want your computer to be more like your phone ? Actual question from the ad. (and you know for most people the answer to that question is... Yes) lol

Had to find them...
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wrsw/acer-chromebook-15-if-youre-over-the-old-way-song-by-obb seriously good ad, its been a long time since I sold computers but they seem to be ticking off all the boxes computer noobies used to ask me 20 years back. I have no doubt average people still ask the same stuff.
A few more, more.. google seems to be ramping up their chromeos advertising that's for sure. Really advertising that much during the NHL playoffs in Canada is not cheap. :)
 
Last edited:
Geezus, will the two of you - and you know exactly who I mean - get the fuck over it, soon? :D

So far so good, working on getting VMware Workstation up and running on this Manjaro install, been fairly rock solid so far, nothing out of the ordinary to cause problems, updated to the latest Optimus driver available but still having the video tearing issues, guess that's just always going to be a problem which makes no damned sense to me at all but there it is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ChadD
like this
Geezus, will the two of you - and you know exactly who I mean - get the fuck over it, soon? :D

So far so good, working on getting VMware Workstation up and running on this Manjaro install, been fairly rock solid so far, nothing out of the ordinary to cause problems, updated to the latest Optimus driver available but still having the video tearing issues, guess that's just always going to be a problem which makes no damned sense to me at all but there it is.

Make sure you have the "Force Full Composition Pipeline" box ticked in the driver. ( I am pretty sure its in the nvidia gui settings software now... you used to have to enable it in nvidia.conf
I think sync to Vblank is another option you may want to try and toggle.

I haven't noticed any issues with Gnomes compositor myself... still do hear of people such as yourself having issues, NV is a frustrating company. They do make very good linux drivers in terms of games... but they don't seem to always play the way they should with basic tech. Another fix is to switch DE... I really like Gnome myself and tend to stick to it.(but it doesn't have an easy way to swap compositing engine) XFCE the light DE that is still the manjaro default... you can easily switch to compton for compositing and it doesn't have issues with tearing in general. Some people also claim that cinnamon which uses the forked compositor mutter works well with nvidia. (I have never tried running cinnamon under arch, its well loved enough that I'm sure it runs well) I would suggest though if you can't get gnome to behave and don't wanna use force comp pipeline (it may slow some games a bit)... try XFCE with compoton. If only XFCE had an activities screen I would use it over gnome and never look back. lol

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Using_Compton_for_a_tear-free_experience_in_Xfce
 
Last edited:
If your excuse for putting up with a industry locust like MS is that they only had a period of Evil and I forgive them cause GAMES.

Like I said, a lot more to it than that. There's no Microsoft branded hardware in or connected to my sig rig beyond an Xbox One controller. No Linux distro is going to support all that I do with it. I'm happy to toss the Xbox One controller in the garbage if that's the thing preventing Linux from supporting the hardware.
 
Like I said, a lot more to it than that. There's no Microsoft branded hardware in or connected to my sig rig beyond an Xbox One controller. No Linux distro is going to support all that I do with it. I'm happy to toss the Xbox One controller in the garbage if that's the thing preventing Linux from supporting the hardware.

You miss the point as usual.

Your "Sig rig" is clearly a gaming PC. Leave windows on it bud. Clearly gaming is the only thing your really doing with it... no one buys two 1080ti for anything other then AAA gaming. NO one has ever disagreed with you... if your thing is a couple grand in GPUs and for some reason buying competing VR setups stick with windows. Just don't know how you don't understand that the number of people with 1080tis is low... the number of people with 1080ti SLI is beyond a sliver of a sliver of even just "gamers"... and the number of "gamers" with both vive and occ that are not developers or reviewers is YOU. Have fun... and stop acting like every gamer in the world has the same rig... or to be honest even has the desire for both brands of VR and 1080ti sli. You seem to have more money then brains... or your completely full of shit one or the other. lol
 
I needed a linux ISO for a work project and popped over to distrowatch. I cannot believe both how fast the order has changed, and how many more people are downloading the iso's.

Manjaro is #1? I expected it to continue to climb, but #1 seems crazy to me. It's still arch linux which is a bit out of the reach of noobies making the switch.

Solus and Elementary are basically tied for #5? That is just nuts, especially considering Solus' lack of compatibility.

Even my MX Linux is at #8 which is both awesome and crazy to me. Sure it's an amazing Debian setup, but it's based on debian stable. Most people seem to want as close to bleeding edge as they can get without the instability associated with being on the edge. This is almost on the opposite side of that coin... (Which is why I love it.)

openSUSE has been reduced to #11. I would have thought this would be in the top five inside a decade. It is basically an OS designed for enterprise use, much like Fedora.

Also, look how many more people are diving into this! The top five used to be around 4-5k hits per day combined. Now they are close to 11k hpd...

This is awesome. I hope we continue to see these jumps. Hopefully as interest builds, we can start getting much better support from devs and hardware manufacturers. I would love to have full battery life, and better touchpad drivers for my laptop.

Manjaro is just the poor man's Arch. Now don't get me wrong it's a nice distro but the one thing I don't like about it is how some of these new Linux users brag how they run Arch when it isn't Arch. They installed Manjaro because they wanted the AUR or wanted to brag about being an Arch user. These types of users typically don't learn shit and are the types of users who give the Linux community a bad name because they call everybody n00b. Much of my Linux knowledge came from diving headfirst into Gentoo (never again :p ) and Arch. I love Arch but certain things are lacking and potentially will never exist in Arch like Full Confinement of Snap packages.

What "lack of compatibility" does Solus have? If anything it actually has MORE compatibility than Arch does because of the fact that it does support Full Confinement and AppArmor out of the box.

Perhaps, but the number of things that Windows 10 supports that are unique and impossible to reproduce in the enthusiast space on other desktop OSes is large. VR, as much as I get that folks like you hate when I talk about it, that about as enthusiast as it gets right now on PCs.

Two years after the fact with Windows having support for three VR platforms, Linux is still in beta? That's enthusiast to you?

There is a ton of shit that Windows 10 supports that's unique. I have 3 3D monitors, a 4k monitor and 2 VR headsets plugged into my system while it 100% support for everything I need to do on my Windows 7 to become Windows 10 PC at work. It's an insane amount of tech to plug into a computer that most people don't even know exists. And it all tends to work. And I'll be the first to admit that there's a lot of flakiness with this kind of setup, like the broken Netflix Window 10 app at 4k.

Then there's stuff like WSL. And a Surface Book 2. It's amazing what Windows 10 can do. Far from perfect but when it comes to pushing limits, remarkable stuff.

For the love of God just go away Heatlesssun. Just stay the hell out of the Linux subforum. We don't give a flying fuck about your sig rig, how much it cost, how many games you play, or whether they're VR or not. Do you always have to jump into a Linux thread and cause it to turn into a Windows vs Linux fiasco?

I can certainly rattle off the bullshit I'm going through at work with 1803 if you want. There's plenty of shit for me to throw. 1803 on a brand new Latitude E5490 quadcore with 16GB RAM and the M.2 SSD takes 90+ minutes to reinstall "upgrade" Windows. I can take the 8 month old Solus 3 ISO and have it installed and fully upgraded in 30 damn minutes and that includes installing Steam and DOTA2 (the one game I find time to play every now and again and it plays beautifully on Linux).

That said...back on topic:

Yes things have changed quite a bit. Mint no longer top dog and nice to see independent distros like Solus making a rise instead of just another Ubuntu fork. We honestly need more distros like Solus to shake things up. Everything being a fork of Ubuntu is getting old. :p Although Ubuntu 18.04 is quite nice, especially the MATE flavor.
 
Manjaro is just the poor man's Arch. Now don't get me wrong it's a nice distro but the one thing I don't like about it is how some of these new Linux users brag how they run Arch when it isn't Arch. They installed Manjaro because they wanted the AUR or wanted to brag about being an Arch user. These types of users typically don't learn shit and are the types of users who give the Linux community a bad name because they call everybody n00b. Much of my Linux knowledge came from diving headfirst into Gentoo (never again :p ) and Arch. I love Arch but certain things are lacking and potentially will never exist in Arch like Full Confinement of Snap packages.

Arch and snaps is an entire topic on itself for sure. Neck beard types I'm sure can argue about snap and FHS issues ect ect. Manjaro is for sure not just poor mans arch at least not anymore then Ubuntu is poor mans Debian. :) Your right though some Manjaro users are quite proud of their "arch" systems. lol :)

Your right about arch being a great learning tool though. It is for sure easier to handle then gentoo (or at least faster with out all the compiling lol). Asking every new user to install arch may be a bit much... but if every "power user" type was to install a arch system at least once I am sure they would learn a few things in the process.

Your right about solus as well... I don't believe its a manjaro = quite yet. I really do love what they are doing and how fast they seem to be getting it done. I imagine we don't see more independent distros on that level as there simply isn't as many developers as capable as Ikey Doherty.
 
no one buys two 1080ti for anything other then AAA gaming.

One thing I appreciate about multiple cards, mora ports! Never really thought about it until I ended up with 4 DP and 2 HDMI devices connected to my sig rig. If I were only concerned about gaming I'd have dumped the 3 1080p monitors but I much prefer the 3x 1080p setup for work.
 
One thing I appreciate about multiple cards, mora ports! Never really thought about it until I ended up with 4 DP and 2 HDMI devices connected to my sig rig. If I were only concerned about gaming I'd have dumped the 3 1080p monitors but I much prefer the 3x 1080p setup for work.

If all you cared about was multi monitor support you would be running a matrox card, or any number of inexpensive 6 monitor cards... or sli 2 less expensive cards. You don't SLI $1400-2000 worth of GPUs (depending when you bought them) together for multiple monitor support. Nice try. Again your machine is a gaming machine run windows on it all you like... that you claim to also use it for work is beside the point.
 
If all you cared about was multi monitor support you would be running a matrox card,

https://www.amazon.com/C680-E2GBF-Full-height44-Six-output-Outstanding-Performance/dp/B00NJG6K3I

That's a $600 card, plus even they mention using multiple GPUs for MORA PORTS!

Performance Meets Flexibility
The Matrox C680 is a single-slot, PCIe® x16 graphics card that drives up to six displays or projectors at resolutions up to 4096 x 2160 per output. The versatile, six-monitor video card can power the latest Ultra HD/4K panels as well as enable 12-monitor configurations when combined with a second Matrox C680 board.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/c-series/c680/

or any number of inexpensive 6 monitor cards... or sli 2 less expensive cards. You don't SLI $1400-2000 worth of GPUs (depending when you bought them) together for multiple monitor support. Nice try. Again your machine is a gaming machine run windows on it all you like... that you claim to also use it for work is beside the point.

Gaming hardware isn't just for gaming. These 1080 Tis will accelerate a LOT of workloads from the desktop to video editing to video playback better than those Matrox cards.

Also, if you want to use these Matrox cards for multiple display wall setups, well...

Manage video wall layouts, sources and more with the MuraControl™ for Windows® software (sold separately) or the MuraControl for iPad® app

Yes the card works with Linux, but a key feature and a reason why you'd buy a $600 with 4 GB RAM and limited GPU acceleration power, might work fine under Linux but it's not supported by the OEM apparently.

Again and again, well outside of gaming, this kind of thing rears its head. Nothing with Microsoft or Windows labeling BUT want to take full advantage of its key features and well, try it with Linux, it might work.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just installed LinuxMint on my old Acer W700 and I am pretty amazed at how much snappier it feels than it did with Windows 10 on it. Installed the x86 version of RetroPie on it and teaching my 7yr old son some Linux on the side. (actually, I am learning something too as I normally use a GUI in Linux). Reminds me of the good 'ol DOS days when I have to muck around with the terminal :)

Full disclosure, I have 2 1080ti's in my home workstation and I don't game on it (often), they actually get used for Adobe Premiere, Civil 3d, and mining when I'm not working. I also don't consider MS evil and I own a 5k imac as well. I just like computers :p
 
I just installed LinuxMint on my old Acer W700 and I am pretty amazed at how much snappier it feels than it did with Windows 10 on it.

Windows has always chugged on Atom devices, no so much because on performance, Bay and Cherry Trail aren't terrible performance, but because of eMMC storage which just really isn't fast enough for Windows. The problem though for Linux will be touch. But if you stick with a keyboard and mouse not really a problem.
 
Before I went back to debian I had tried Manjaro (twice actually) and this is why I went back to debian. I need VMWare for work and they cannot help but break it every few cycles.

Of course Fedora broke it too...

VMware is a PITA like that! Every kernel update it just stops working and the tools that are supposed to recompile necessary dependencies to keep it working just don't work! In the end I dumped it for Virtualbox. I believe VMware to be the more superior product, but Virtualbox does what I need it to do, it's free and it doesn't break every time there's a kernel update.

I just installed LinuxMint on my old Acer W700 and I am pretty amazed at how much snappier it feels than it did with Windows 10 on it. Installed the x86 version of RetroPie on it and teaching my 7yr old son some Linux on the side. (actually, I am learning something too as I normally use a GUI in Linux). Reminds me of the good 'ol DOS days when I have to muck around with the terminal :)

Full disclosure, I have 2 1080ti's in my home workstation and I don't game on it (often), they actually get used for Adobe Premiere, Civil 3d, and mining when I'm not working. I also don't consider MS evil and I own a 5k imac as well. I just like computers :p

If it's old hardware, low on ram or has a mechanical hard drive, Windows 10 is a painful, hard drive thrashing experience. In such scenarios I've always found Linux to be far more usable, some distro's more than others.

I'm with you, I just like computers. ;)
 
https://www.amazon.com/C680-E2GBF-Full-height44-Six-output-Outstanding-Performance/dp/B00NJG6K3I

That's a $600 card, plus even they mention using multiple GPUs for MORA PORTS!

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/c-series/c680/

Gaming hardware isn't just for gaming. These 1080 Tis will accelerate a LOT of workloads from the desktop to video editing to video playback better than those Matrox cards.

Exactly my point if you where looking for a "work" GPU the 1080ti isn't it. As for accelerating lots of workloads. I'm sorry but if your accelerating 3D stuff for "work" again wrong card(s).

My point was you built a gaming machine.... you seem very proud of that with your multiple VR rigs ect. And hey if you have money to burn nice rig I guess. Not sure why your trying to play that you require 1080ti for non gaming related things. BS or your completely full of it and your sig rig is imaginary.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am getting so sick of hearing how a certain individual uses his PC. Does he do this in every thread?
 
We're talking about GPU accelerated work loads. Everyone who uses a web browser these days does that.
 
I just installed LinuxMint on my old Acer W700 and I am pretty amazed at how much snappier it feels than it did with Windows 10 on it. Installed the x86 version of RetroPie on it and teaching my 7yr old son some Linux on the side. (actually, I am learning something too as I normally use a GUI in Linux). Reminds me of the good 'ol DOS days when I have to muck around with the terminal :)

Full disclosure, I have 2 1080ti's in my home workstation and I don't game on it (often), they actually get used for Adobe Premiere, Civil 3d, and mining when I'm not working. I also don't consider MS evil and I own a 5k imac as well. I just like computers :p

I get the feeling that is the real reason you have 2 1080tis. :) I don't imagine their are many people with dual anything that didn't pick them up planning to pay for them with crypto.

haha cool Linux stuff btw. I tried really hard to get my 3 boys into computers... they are all adults now and it was just never their bag. My daughter is still 14 and she is the one that has taken it up, its a bit annoying when she messes around with my server... and it is a bit odd hearing her talk to me like I'm an old person sometimes. Hope your son takes to it, so many kids growing up not understanding anything about how their phones and other computing devices work. Can only help them to gain experience with the nuts and bolts. :)
 
We're talking about GPU accelerated work loads. Everyone who uses a web browser these days does that.

Ok stop after this one. Come on heatle. Your browser does not recognize SLI... and the performance difference between 1080ti and any GPU from the last 5 years even the 100 dollar ones is next to nil. The 1080ti is a fine mess around card for blender and the like... but if your doing anything of that nature for money your buying a real pro card. If you do a lot of video editing its the on card ram that matters more then 3D acceleration... and you can get lots of ram without buying NV top of the line gaming card. And if you do use Adobe Premier or other video editing in a pro capacity again their are much better pro cards... granted some of them cost much more and not every pro is out Chasing down a Radeon Pro SSG, Still NV top of the line GAMING card is again not the wisest purchase for that use.

Its ok to admit your "sig rig" is a gaming machine. There is nothing at all wrong with that... and everyone has agreed with you If all you love is AAA gaming... and as you claim to have 2000+ Steam games and every VR game ever made... hey man Windows is the right OS for YOU.
 
and the performance difference between 1080ti and any GPU from the last 5 years even the 100 dollar ones is next to nil.

This can't possibly be what you meant to say. All I was trying to say is that good gaming hardware can have many other purposes.
 
This can't possibly be what you meant to say. All I was trying to say is that good gaming hardware can have many other purposes.

In regards to HTML5/webgl type acceleration... no I meant what I said. SLI doesn't work and the difference between something like 1080ti and 750ti will be small... any advantage would surly not be proportionate to the $ difference.

I wouldn't argue you could do other things with your computer... however its a simple fact you built it to game and that is the only reason you choose to buy VR headsets... and 2 1080tis to power them. Claiming gaming isn't that main use of such a system is silly. Its a gaming machine. If your idea of gaming is AAA gaming as you claim yours is... then windows is the right OS. Have fun. That doesn't describe the vast majority of computer users... and I would think very many others on the [H] forums that have found themselves in this subforum are less likely to be hardcore AAA gamers... or at least its not their only or even main use for a PC.
 
Last edited:
Claiming gaming isn't that main use of such a system is silly.

That's the targeted purpose, but actually not the main use of the system since it was also for work purposes. This is a lot better work PC than most. The monitor situation never really dawned on me and multiple GPUs having a purpose beyond SLI until I decided I wanted to keep my existing 3x 1080p monitor setup and run it alongside a 4k monitor. And the thing about SLI, you can only use the ports on one card while it's enabled. So most of the time I don't run with SLI one unless I'm playing a supported game. But I use the ports everyday. I'm just trying to point out why someone would use multiple cards outside of SLI even if they are SLI capable you might not even use them for that purpose.
 
I would just like to say that as a "professional" autoCAD/Civil 3D user, "Gaming" cards are just as fast or faster than "Quattros" when it comes down to it in ACAD. The cost does NOT justify the "pro" drivers.

But I digress... This is not a GPU thread. It's about Linux!!!!
 
But I digress... This is not a GPU thread. It's about Linux!!!!

Indeed. Funny thing was I was pointing out a reason for powerful multiple GPUs that had nothing to so with SLI and would also be perfectly valid reason for using them under Linux. MORA PORTS! Hell some people just like to argue I guess. :D
 
This is not a GPU thread. It's about Linux!!!!

Having said that, you can quite easily run multiple GPU's under Linux as well. In fact, due to the fact that all of the world's supercomputers run some variant of Linux and many of them run CUDA accelerated GPU's there's every chance that multi GPU accelerated support is actually better under Linux.

I know the terminal based Nvidia tools are better under Linux.
 
VMware is a PITA like that! Every kernel update it just stops working and the tools that are supposed to recompile necessary dependencies to keep it working just don't work! In the end I dumped it for Virtualbox. I believe VMware to be the more superior product, but Virtualbox does what I need it to do, it's free and it doesn't break every time there's a kernel update.


Yeah, VMware's Linux installer has always been problematic. It stems from them mistakenly trying to support every possible system distribution in a single script instead of making proper packages for the various distributions. It got a little better when they switched from a single huge Perl install script to a properly modularized Python-based installer (circa v5 or 6, IIRC).

At a place I used to work there were upwards of 1,000+ installs of VMware Workstation and Player on Linux. Every kernel update resulted in a slew of broken installs and subsequent support tickets. Eventually I ended up repackaging the various components (Workstation, Player, kernel modules) as .debs, using DKMS to automatically rebuild the modules for each kernel update. All the support problems went away.
 
I would just like to say that as a "professional" autoCAD/Civil 3D user, "Gaming" cards are just as fast or faster than "Quattros" when it comes down to it in ACAD. The cost does NOT justify the "pro" drivers.

But I digress... This is not a GPU thread. It's about Linux!!!!

I know its off topic... its been my experience gaming cards are actually quite a bit <<< in opengl cad software. However yes there are plenty of people using them. Still SLI is pointless... even Maya doesn't even really support SLI. You can perhaps with some GPU renders share workloads but you will always be limited by the on board RAM on the weakest of the two cards... and some CPU renders that are capable of offloading work require a workstation card. So in terms of Maya it means setting up and scripting things like (Redshift, Octane, Furryball, etc)... which frankly if you find yourself thinking that makes sense don't buy a gaming card. Yes its a driver thing more then hardware but still gaming cards aren't going to work. If you rely on things like autocad for more then just while your at home type things go with a properly supported workstation card. If your into pro 3d rendering and are using (paying for) external renders like redshit ect again buy a properly supported card that isn't going to have headaches and crashes every time a driver updates itself to solve X or Y gaming related issue. My opinion... no need to agree of course. :)
 
Having said that, you can quite easily run multiple GPU's under Linux as well. In fact, due to the fact that all of the world's supercomputers run some variant of Linux and many of them run CUDA accelerated GPU's there's every chance that multi GPU accelerated support is actually better under Linux.

I know the terminal based Nvidia tools are better under Linux.

All the external multi GPU pro level renders I just mentioned... are mainly used under Linux in terms of actual pro use. (most have windows and mac versions but users running them on true GPU farm type setups do so under Linux)
 
The Quadro line of products all have ECC memory, hence the price difference. For any true professional CUDA application they really are the only choice.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ChadD
like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top