Wow things have changed quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Quadro line of products all have ECC memory, hence the price difference. For any true professional CUDA application they really are the only choice.

Bs when it comes to autocad or civil 3d... Ecc, Quattro, pro cards, don't do shit for civil 3d... I have used them all...

The drivers are absolutely not worth the premium...

That said... I have two 1080tis so one can mine while I work at home... They are not SLI'd..

Bs when it comes to autocad or civil 3d... Ecc, Quattro, pro cards, don't do shit for civil 3d... I have used them all...

The drivers are absolutely not worth the premium...

That said... I have two 1080tis so one can mine while I work at home... They are not SLI'd..

Well you can argue that for CAD software ECC isn't a major issue... however for anyone using a GPU for any real compute work (not talking about mining) yes ECC is a big deal.

You can't really say Radeon Pros and Quattros are expensive just because they have better drivers. They both use ECC ram and if you are doing any compute work yes that is something you should care about. I'm not saying in your case where your running a bit of CAD and mining you should spring for Workstation cards without question. However you can't write workstations off as overpriced either. ECC HBM is not cheap, and it is part of what increases the hardware costs. If you do a bit of reading you will find that according to information from projects like folding@home consumer GPUs return error rates to them of 2-3%, where as workstation cards return ZERO errors to them. Again for Civl3D/autocad not likely a huge deal... for other autodesk software like Maya, or other Pro 3D software or even high end 4k/8k video editing, unless your talking about home movies buy a proper workstation card with single bit ECC memory correction.

Agreed. There are certainly better uses for the high end shit with compute power requirements... They (NV more than amd) limit most of that stuff on the consumer cards any who...

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I had a Quadro M4000, a very hot little bugger in the day. An issue that I think was it's eventual demise as all of a sudden, no matter what I did, it simply stopped producing any video output the second the graphics drivers were loaded no matter what machine I tried it in.

Nview and Mosiac was nice though.

Well you can argue that for CAD software ECC isn't a major issue... however for anyone using a GPU for any real compute work (not talking about mining) yes ECC is a big deal.

You can't really say Radeon Pros and Quattros are expensive just because they have better drivers. They both use ECC ram and if you are doing any compute work yes that is something you should care about. I'm not saying in your case where your running a bit of CAD and mining you should spring for Workstation cards without question. However you can't write workstations off as overpriced either. ECC HBM is not cheap, and it is part of what increases the hardware costs. If you do a bit of reading you will find that according to information from projects like folding@home consumer GPUs return error rates to them of 2-3%, where as workstation cards return ZERO errors to them. Again for Civl3D/autocad not likely a huge deal... for other autodesk software like Maya, or other Pro 3D software or even high end 4k/8k video editing, unless your talking about home movies buy a proper workstation card with single bit ECC memory correction.

Pretty much true. My laptop has an m2200 and it is absolutely embarrassing how much it just roflstomps my GTX1070 in solidworks.

Hell a $300 P1000 will walk all over a 1080ti in professional work.

Both have nvidia provided linux drivers, however solidworks is windows only :(

I am not a big fan of this guy, but he does a pretty good comparison here. Skip to about 1:04 where it actually starts.

Agreed. There are certainly better uses for the high end shit with compute power requirements... They (NV more than amd) limit most of that stuff on the consumer cards any who...

Ya no doubt the software limits are artificial. For your use case ya ECC ram isn't going to be a huge deal... if your mainly using the 3D hardware for previews and on screen work like cad and not final renders consumer cards and non-ecc ram do a fine job 2-3% single bit errors in math being used to compute a preview isn't a big thing. Even at pro 3D FX studios you could argue the workstations don't really need ECC all that badly... as any final product is going to be rendered by a server farm. The workstation cards matter when your rendering final output, or doing computational math and don't want to have to do it twice to check for errors. (ECC won't correct multi bit errors... but it will at least record them so you can easily check the validity of a data set, without having to run it twice)

I'm curious now though... have you managed to pay for both your 1080s with one mining ? :)

Last edited:
Just uninstalled Firefox off my PC and installed the snap of Firefox. So far I'm very impressed, I swear it opens faster now.

I'm curious now though... have you managed to pay for both your 1080s with one mining ? :)

Yes. All of my mining gear has paid for itself. The first was actually bought for work. The second was purely mining.

Had 11 cards for awhile but sold two 1070s. Got started early last year with ether and zcash. Pretty small time operation.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I'm perfectly happy in my Microsoft free world. Don't like where MS is leading the flock and won't be following. You guys have fun.

Sweet. All I want to do is to use the stuff I paid for. Seems like many people here think that the total cost of a PC is simply a Windows license. For some, that cost is rounding error.

Sweet. All I want to do is to use the stuff I paid for. Seems like many people here think that the total cost of a PC is simply a Windows license. For some, that cost is rounding error.

True freedom involves far more than just cost.

Please don't tell me how you use your PC again, I don't care. ;)

EDIT: Wow! Two users posting almost the same ideology! It's a sign...

Legions have looked into replacing desktop Windows with desktop Linux for decades now. If desktop Linux were really as good as some claim, many more would be using desktop Linux. It's that simple. Linux doesn't have many of this issues of Windows but it introduces its own.

Legions have looked into replacing desktop Windows with desktop Linux for decades now. If desktop Linux were really as good as some claim, many more would be using desktop Linux. It's that simple. Linux doesn't have many of this issues of Windows but it introduces its own.

Preach it heatle.

lmao dude you keep posting this crap in a sub forum clearly full of people posting from Linux. I think you may be lost.

No issues here.

Exactly. If everyone running Windows could just install Linux without significant issues then everyone would be running Linux by now.

What? This crusade you're on has got to end. It's almost like you fear the idea of people migrating away from Windows 10. There is nothing wrong with Linux as a desktop OS.

What? This crusade you're on has got to end. It's almost like you fear the idea of people migrating away from Windows 10. There is nothing wrong with Linux as a desktop OS.

What are you talking about? You just said that you run desktop Linux with no issues. Shouldn't everyone have that expectation?

What are you talking about? You just said that you run desktop Linux with no issues. Shouldn't everyone have that expectation?

As I've said before, I'm not at all interested in arguing preferred operating systems. However it would be nice to discuss Linux in the associated forum without your snide comments treating Linux like a second class citizen. People use what they prefer and their choice should be respected, If they want to sing the praises of their decision in a forum dedicated to the topic they should be free to do so without the unjustified negativity.

I read your post as the unjustified belief that installing a chosen Linux distro will usually result in problems, the problem with this comment is that it's greatly exaggerated. Yes, if you install Ubuntu on a Microsoft branded tablet than you stand a greater chance of problems. However, this is a fairly unique case and there's nothing to state that this will be an issue everyone will face.

As someone that uses Linux as well as Windows, more so Linux these days, I find that it does it's job as an operating system admirably with very few issues and I like the way it respects me as a user. Naturally it can be assumed that certain others will prefer Windows for everything they do and I respect that because I understand that not everyone uses their PC the way I do, an important consideration that you can't seem to put into practice.

I read your post as the unjustified belief that installing a chosen Linux distro will usually result in problems, the problem with this comment is that it's greatly exaggerated. Yes, if you install Ubuntu on a Microsoft branded tablet than you stand a greater chance of problems.

The thing is that Microsoft branded tablet is pretty common hardware, there's little in terms of its computing components that's proprietary. The main issue out of the box I'm seeing is the high DPI screen, there's absolutely nothing proprietary about that and the GPU is nothing more than a dime a dozen Intel iGPU. Indeed the install process simply requires disabling secure boot and setting up a partition. That process worked perfectly and flawlessly side by side with the latest Windows 10 Insider Build. For something supposedly propreteary the fact that all this worked without issue belies that claim.

As someone that uses Linux as well as Windows, more so Linux these days, I find that it does it's job as an operating system admirably with very few issues and I like the way it respects me as a user. Naturally it can be assumed that certain others will prefer Windows for everything they do and I respect that because I understand that not everyone uses their PC the way I do, an important consideration that you can't seem to put into practice.

I don't know how more clear I can be about the fact that a billion PCs users have different wants and needs. However if you go on YouTube there's tons of videos of people installing Linux on Surface devices. There's an interest level there that you may not be aware of.

Exactly. If everyone running Windows could just install Linux without significant issues then everyone would be running Linux by now.

Normally I avoid these childish nothing but back and forth bickering threads, but I have to admit I've got comment on this comment of yours: installing Linux is fucking idiot-proof nowadays so I'd have to slam you for that one. I understand your meaning and your intent with the statement, but installing Linux is not where the problems are, it's using Linux which is where it almost always ends up pissing people off for a huge variety of reasons that I'm not even going to hint at right now.

Running Windows and installing Linux, two things that are about as far apart as things can actually be. :)

And with that, I will leave you kids to continue the bickering till this thread like so many others just gets locked down once more. You'd think some of you would have learned by now, but based on post counts I suppose that would be a presumption that I'd regret. :D

installing Linux is fucking idiot-proof nowadays so I'd have to slam you for that one.

Problem though is I never mentioned any problems here with the install process. I have a dual boot setup on a Surface Pro 3 along with the latest Windows 10 Insider Build. A machine with secure boot with two partitions and I never mentioned a single problem with the install or any conflicts between the OSes. I've been installing desktop Linux on devices for 20 years. It wasn't a big problem then and definitely not now.

And with that, I will leave you kids to continue the bickering till this thread like so many others just gets locked down once more. You'd think some of you would have learned by now, but based on post counts I suppose that would be a presumption that I'd regret. :D

LOL! All of this when all I was talking about was high DPI support. Out of the box with Ubuntu 18.04 it's a mess on a Surface Pro 3 and it's obvious. Did some research on it tonight and will take a stab at it tomorrow. Thing is, folks like you think I'm bashing Linux when in all sincerity I'm trying to figure out how to make things work. But because it's a Microsoft device or this or that of the other, people would rather get into nonsense than solutions.

Are you not the same guy that yells FAKE NEWS every time someone complains about a windows 10 update that bricks their machine. lmao

Are you not the same guy that yells FAKE NEWS every time someone complains about a windows 10 update that bricks their machine. lmao

There's no way an update process across that number and variety of devices is ever going to be bullet proof. I've said it time and time again. The question is how many devices work versus don't.

But because it's a Microsoft device or this or that of the other, people would rather get into nonsense than solutions.

I don't judge Windows by how easy it is nor how well it runs on a Macbook. Cause you know its made for Apple for MacOS. lol

I'm glad you got Linux working on your Microsoft hardware heatle. All the youtube videos you talk about are posted for the chuckle value... cause ya there are 2 types of people that install Linux on MS hardware;
1) the because it's just to funny.... Will it run Linux crowd.
2) people looking to prove Linux is deficient in someway cause you know MS surface hardware is the best ever and everyone owns one. (ya lol)

Which category do you fall under ?

There's no way an update process across that number and variety of devices is ever going to be bullet proof. I've said it time and time again. The question is how many devices work versus don't.

As I thought.... Windows update sucks ???

QUE Heatle...

FAKE NEWS. lol :)

Reactions: naib
like this
Problem though is I never mentioned any problems here with the install process.

I quoted exactly what you said and I pointed out that what you said - in that specific post I quoted - was what I was slamming you on, you said:

so that's what I commented on: your statement that running Windows is comparable to installing Linux. I don't care about the rest of the thread or whatever you folks keep babbling incessantly about, I was responding to that specific comment you made and nothing more.

Hey, it might be semantics but language and words do actually matter. :)

I'm glad you got Linux working on your Microsoft hardware heatle. All the youtube videos you talk about are posted for the chuckle value... cause ya there are 2 types of people that install Linux on MS hardware;

I just find this hilarious because I have a Linux partition on my sig rig, there's nothing Microsoft about that hardware. And the Surface Pro 3 is basically a reference device for OEMs. There's nothing about the electronics that are proprietary.

I've made my point, I'm not going to argue about it. Fact is, I'm tired of hearing about heatlessun's PC usage and the PC in his sig and I would really appreciate not hearing about it in every thread to do with operating systems in general unless the discussion specifically asks for it in the thread title.

It's a fairly simple request and if I offend anyone by making it I apologize in advance. However, as a neutral party I feel it's a request that has to be made. ;)

I've made my point, I'm not going to argue about it. Fact is, I'm tired of hearing about heatlessun's PC usage and the PC in his sig and I would really appreciate not hearing about it in every thread to do with operating systems in general unless the discussion specifically asks for it in the thread title.

It's a fairly simple request and if I offend anyone by making it I apologize in advance. However, as a neutral party I feel it's a request that has to be made. ;)

So with all of that, how the hell to you deal with high DPI scaling in Ubuntu 18.04? I'm still trying to figure out why Steam doesn't seem to honor the enlarge text option.

Way too literal. Once installed the expectation is that one would actually USE the device. That's were the issues will arise.

I have by no means cherry picked any hardware based around Linux usage. I run a number of PCs just fine under Linux as I assume you use your PC just fine under Windows. There really is no more to be said unless you're on a crusade to highlight Linux as a second class citizen.

So with all of that, how the hell to you deal with high DPI scaling in Ubuntu 18.04? I'm still trying to figure out why Steam doesn't seem to honor the enlarge text option.

I selected the option I quoted under Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on a VM running a 4k monitor and it worked, there really is no more I can say. It's obviously a Steam issue, not an Ubuntu issue.

Well this train left the thread rails a long time ago and landed in the flaming wreckage of the Windows vs Linux debate. Lets just stop while we are ahead. /ktg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back