Wow Sony, Way to Disappoint

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, the big announcement Sony wanted to make today is out. They cut the prices on their PS2's to $100. We knew this was coming from leaked info from Target and Kmart, but I guess being a PS3 owner I was hoping for some love down that road. How does the PS2 get to be big news at all anymore? My only guess is they are trying to liquidate some PS2 stock and maybe bring that platform to a close in the next year maybe.

Way to disappoint indeed.... All this talk about next generation and all that but they take a step back and talk about the older ones. It's like ... it's like... they're introducing a new generation gaming console but announcing games for the old.... oh wait!:rolleyes:

I am surprised that more people are surprised by this announcement. Sony has stated time and time again that there is no price reductions planned on the PS3 this spring. In addition, they have stated that they are AHEAD of their forecasts for sales of the PS3. They are AHEAD, and they are priced where they feel they need to be priced (and it's working).

Disappointing, maybe (for those that can't afford one yet). Surprising, no. As far as I can see, a price drop isn't necessary at this time.

It doesn't have to be a price drop. It could've been a new controller, or bringing back BC. Though I would guess a price drop would be the best for a "big" announcement... maybe.

The only announcement I want from Sony is a firmware update for universal custom soundtracks, and cross game invites/cross game multi-person chat. The rest is just fluff (good fluff, but fluff)

The only announcement I want from Sony is a firmware update for universal custom soundtracks, and cross game invites/cross game multi-person chat. The rest is just fluff (good fluff, but fluff)

This is what I was hoping for too. I was looking for a firmware update that opened something up, or maybe if they refuse to do a BC firmware update, at least a few PS2 games on PSN (God of War 1 & 2 are all I need plz). Rock band and Guitar hero makers must be popping champagne this morning though. I feel like that is the biggest use of the PS2 now. I don't play those games though, so I might be off.

PS2 games on PSN with a BC patch WOULD rock now that I think about it. There are a bunch of PS2 games I would buy.

The internet has hyped this announcement up. The original announcement leak stated that it most likely would be a PS2 price drop.

Not gonna happen. Microsoft owns the patent so the best you could wish for is if Sony made it required for developers to support it. I wish they required more features to be supported consistently.

It doesn't have to be a price drop. It could've been a new controller, or bringing back BC. Though I would guess a price drop would be the best for a "big" announcement... maybe.

BC costs money, that is why they dropped it. I love my 60gb. Funny, BC was a requirement for me when I got the console but I don't even use it. How many others want BC but never use?

Not gonna happen. Microsoft owns the patent so the best you could wish for is if Sony made it required for developers to support it.

I have heard this numerous times, but was this EVER confirmed by MS or Sony? I know people have posted some random "patent" that they found from MS, but really, has this been made public by either company?

Just another letdown from Sony. They haven't done anything smart in about a year. It looked like the PS3 might come out of the doldrums last spring, but they haven't done anything to help since.
Oh well, 3rd place is pretty much secure at this point.

I wasn't expecting it honestly, like Bogie said they've been saying for awhile now that nothing's gonna change on the PS3 side.

I have heard this numerous times, but was this EVER confirmed by MS or Sony? I know people have posted some random "patent" that they found from MS, but really, has this been made public by either company?

I'm not sure why either would comment on it. You can search the patent database for it: Here

I know where "a" patent is that has been posted that shows what MS had applied for and secured. However, I see nothing that can't prevent Sony from implementing it as well, albeit in a different way that makes it universal. That patent means nothing to me.

Disappointing, maybe (for those that can't afford one yet). Surprising, no. As far as I can see, a price drop isn't necessary at this time.

Course, I'm the polar opposite, I've no real desire to pick up a PS3 but I'm looking for a cheap PS2 now :p

I know where "a" patent is that has been posted that shows what MS had applied for and secured. However, I see nothing that can't prevent Sony from implementing it as well, albeit in a different way that makes it universal. That patent means nothing to me.

You lost me... That patent states that the patent is for playing music through an application through a gaming console... I don't see how that's possible to go around.

You lost me... That patent states that the patent is for playing music through an application through a gaming console... I don't see how that's possible to go around.
I think that covers Microsoft's specific implementation of it.

So is the price drop effective immediately? Like can I go to Target right now and get it at that price?

It wasn't some huge announcement like very website and Sony fan made it out to be. Sony just said an announcement.

$100 is a rip off for that hardware. You're going to have to Apple it up a bit to justify those margins.

What about $250? :D

Burn :cool:

E3 is when any upcoming exclusives will be announced. Twisted Metal is in production, From a known insider, GT5 is rumored to have a big announcement coming. Team Ico game is on the horizon.Still haven't heard anything on the game the BBC previewed that blew them away and wasn't GoW3.

$100 is a rip off for that hardware. You're going to have to Apple it up a bit to justify those margins.

That amounts to 40% of the cost of a wii or 55% the cost of a dsi. Even ignoring the hundreds of great games that seems reasonable just on hardware alone.

But that's only because they took out bc on the ps3. If they didn't, it's a rip off, because you'd pay like what? 300? (I haven't looked at ps3 prices for a good long time) to be able to play the same games, and possible newer games you'd be interested in and all that other stuff people keep on saying its worth it to have.

Why can't they add BC via emulation? Isn't the Cell Processor suppose to be some big shit, it can't emulate a PS2 processor or some chip? Why does it need to be a physical chip?

If PCs can emulate console systems, I have no doubts that Sony can't make some sort of emulation that runs on the PS3. Its their system, they have all the resources at their disposal.

Seems to me the reason they don't do it is because they are still making good money selling PS2s and no reason to hurt that market. What do you think?

The issue they are having is with the graphics emulation or the GS chip. They also state the PS2 developers went above specs to develop titles and it will be very difficult for them to provide software emulation for something they don't support and something that isn't documented. Specific technical reason as to why the GS chip can't be emulated:

It is said that the purpose of the reason to leave GS is not to be able to emulate GS with the PS3 chipset according to the person related to the industry. It is because GS is a pipeline where installing eDRAM 4MB of super-wideband and low latency was required. Because GPU"RSX(Reality Synthesizer)" of PS3 is a pipeline of the PC graphics type to which the memory required external, special architecture of GS cannot be replaced even with same GPU.

Translated link: http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/en...s/2007/0314/kaigai344.htm&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

The internet has hyped this announcement up. The original announcement leak stated that it most likely would be a PS2 price drop.

Not gonna happen. Microsoft owns the patent so the best you could wish for is if Sony made it required for developers to support it. I wish they required more features to be supported consistently.

BC costs money, that is why they dropped it. I love my 60gb. Funny, BC was a requirement for me when I got the console but I don't even use it. How many others want BC but never use?

Oddly enough I use it on my 60gb. Vice City is still my favorite and I'm getting into some castlevania too.

So is the price drop effective immediately? Like can I go to Target right now and get it at that price?

Target actually jumped the gun on this and promoted the new price before Sony actually announced it.

Target's got a knack for jumping the gun on price drops by a few days. They did it to the 360 a while back too, and the PS3 again before.

A buddy of mine at least went in and got the Target Resistance/Motostorm/PS3 bundle. They just take a normal 80GB PS3 and open the box, drop the games in a space down the side, and put a sticker on the outside of the box.

Still, he got 2 pretty cool games free with his new PS3. Can't complain about that.

I am surprised that more people are surprised by this announcement. Sony has stated time and time again that there is no price reductions planned on the PS3 this spring. In addition, they have stated that they are AHEAD of their forecasts for sales of the PS3. They are AHEAD, and they are priced where they feel they need to be priced (and it's working).

wow were their expectations that low on their PS3 sales? Third place is still third place and they don't even look like they have any chance for 2nd place :p

Sony has said that they want to have profit rather than market share right now. However, regardless of what people said, Sony lies about their price drops and models. Sony had an announcement a few years ago that there is no 40GB PS3 yet one launched 2 days later. They did the same with the last price drop, they said they were not dropping the price then ended up doing it a few weeks later. This stuff is planned months or bi yearly schedules a head of when they do it. They just lie to cover it up. I know why they do it but the point is don't trust them.
Why can't they add BC via emulation? ...Seems to me the reason they don't do it is because they are still making good money selling PS2s and no reason to hurt that market. What do you think?
Exactly, it's not a matter of can they. The PS3 is outpacing the 360 month per month and reached 20 million units faster than the 360, but it's not as fast as Sony wanted it to at first. Right now it's meeting expectations after they lowered them because they realize people can't pay that much for a console. So they are going to keep the PS2 around to make money on hardware to help offset the PS3. Their business plan on the PS3 changed a lot, thus the reason for all the models.

Last edited:
There WILL be a price drop this year. At least a $50 drop at Christmas. It's getting overdue. But who knows their real plans. It all depends on when they can next significantly reduce their cost. They need 45nm to come online and be affordable. And they'll never admit to a price drop before they're ready to announce themselves. They always say they currently have no plans... tommorrow their plans may change. ;)
It's how the game is played. Any big announcements will come at E3.

PS2 games on PSN with a BC patch WOULD rock now that I think about it. There are a bunch of PS2 games I would buy.

Well, I am pretty sure BC is more of a hardware issue than software, otherwise they would have kept it in if its a cheap software solution. They would have to re-engineer existing games and its just never going to happen.

you should probably blame the game blogs and not sony, they didn't once announce that they were going to be releasing any updates or changes, it was all rumors.

you should probably blame the game blogs and not sony, they didn't once announce that they were going to be releasing any updates or changes, it was all rumors.

You do realise talking sense around here is frowned upon!! The reality is Sony wan't to kill us all. Quite simple really :D

Wow, do people really complain when something drops in price?

Wow OP,... way to disappoint.

Why can't they add BC via emulation? Isn't the Cell Processor suppose to be some big shit, it can't emulate a PS2 processor or some chip? Why does it need to be a physical chip?

If PCs can emulate console systems, I have no doubts that Sony can't make some sort of emulation that runs on the PS3. Its their system, they have all the resources at their disposal.

Seems to me the reason they don't do it is because they are still making good money selling PS2s and no reason to hurt that market. What do you think?

For the newer consoles PC emulation sucks imo. Hell I had a hard time this weekend getting a N64 emulator and games running decently on my Arcade machine. And PS2 emulators do not work very good as of right now.

The older systems and m.a.m.e. are fine but when you get to Saturn and up there's problem's aplenty so I can see where it would be hard for them.

Back