WOW!!!! I just improved my wireless signal strength

twitchee2

Limp Gawd
Well My sister was having lots of trouble getting internet to work in her room, we are both about 150ft away from the router through plently of walls. So I got thinking and i went to the local hobby store and picket up a 12x6in piece of brass sheet and some brass bars. I then made a parabola with the sheet and a mount at the focal with the bars. It was a instant sucess. I even made a small one for my USB wireless adapter. My sister got the net, and my signal was literally went from 40% signal strength and 60% link quality to 60 and 80. then I went and tried a right angle instead of a parabola becuase it was too focused. When I did that, the connection went up to 80% +- 8% strength and 100% quality. I was astonished that it actaually worked and it cost all of $7. All of this was achieved WITHOUT moving any hardware.

PICS!!!

DSCN2578.jpg

DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2580.jpg

No kidding!

I mean, I work in IT, I don't have some high paying McDonald's job to be able to afford fancy upgrades...

Nice job though; serious ingenuity. Kudos

That is incredibly ghetto. On a side note, if you're not playing with that airplane, then can I have it? Also, what is in the sealed dvd on your shelf? Is it pr0n?
Edit: I notice on the picture frame, someone wrote " How could you do this to me?" What did you do to him/her?

TheWikipediaPwnzJ00 said:
That is incredibly ghetto. On a side note, if you're not playing with that airplane, then can I have it? Also, what is in the sealed dvd on your shelf? Is it pr0n?
Edit: I notice on the picture frame, someone wrote " How could you do this to me?" What did you do to him/her?
80% side note, 15% on topic.
then he edits...97% side note, 3% on topic... :rolleyes:

/side note lol.

great creativity btw OP

could you do a ms paint version of what angles your router was on and where your and your sisters computers were in the house? With walls and stuff preferably.

How would you go about making it work for upstairs rooms?

Yes, the parabola will most definetely give you the best signal reception, it's the same concept as a sattellite dish. Now if you are truly hardcore you can compute the angle at which you bend your parabola and the distance you should place it from your antenna to get almost 100% reception.

I recently made a cone from tinfoil around my PC's wireless antenna and it made a huge difference...

wireless_tinfoil.jpg

Dead easy and very effective; it was the difference between an excellent 54mbps signal 24/7 and one before that fluctuated a bit before and dropped under load. You don't need to be anywhere near precise. Just any hunk of metal will work if you play about with it a bit.

p.s. my room (and PC) is upstairs at the back left of the house and my router is downstairs at the back right of the house.

TheWikipediaPwnzJ00 said:

Its a 3 stooges dvd but its a anemated verson.lol

midas06 : Im too lazy to draw somthing up. but there are 5 walls and the kitchen between me and the router and my sister is behind the bathroon, storage closet the farthest possible from the house the rooms are porbly 25-30degrees apart.

Thanks for all the complements

Back