WoW and AMD

DeepGrey

Limp Gawd
I currently have a AMD 64 3500+. I was able to score the X2 3800+ deal at Fry's.

From what I hear most games only support single cores. But since WoW is not really graphically based, will dual core help it out? The only other game I play is CoD 2 which I hear is supported by dual core.

Any feedback appreciated thanks.

I believe the game has to be programed with dual cores in mind to see any perfromance gain. I do not believe that WoW was program that way.

The game I play, Dark Age of Camelot, does benefit because I run dual copies, which are treated as seperate applications by Windows and therefore end up using both cores if I look in task manager. If you dual-log in World of Warcraft (I've never played it, avoided it after a lot of guildies tried it for a few months and came back saying it wasn't good), then yes, you will benefit from dual cores. If you're only running one copy, then no, unless the game is specifically coded to take advantage of them like AoE3, Quake 4, etc., you won't see any boosts from having two cores. However, dual core ROCKS in my opinion (<3 my X2 3800+).

EDIT: Also, if you use an nvidia card, the newest drivers are multithreaded and see about 20% boosts in games from having a dual core CPU over the single-core equivalent clocked at the same speeds.

Only improvements I think you'll see is one core can handle WoW and the other core handles everythings else. The OS, WinAmp in the background etc. can be handled by one, and WoW gets one whole core to crank. I don't think WoW has built-in dual core support.

i dont think your problem is your cpu (if your having problems), i dont know how much ram you have but 1gb is a good starting point for mmos

Back