Wow, A64s are great!

wake6830

Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
843
I got a new 3000 venice the other day and noticed a nice improvement right off from my Athlon 2200. This past week I easily oc'd the chip from 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz and shaved 2 minutes per frame off the 44 pointer I was working on. Nice!

With the exception of those new opteron 144s (1.8 stock with 1meg cache for the same price as a 3000, but they're getting 'em up to 3ghz+ on air), you can't beat the price/performance of the 3000s.
 
Neither, really. I'm just saying how great they are for folding purposes, what with being able to overclock them so easily.
 
wake6830 said:
Neither, really. I'm just saying how great they are for folding purposes, what with being able to overclock them so easily.
then definately the right forum!

good job; i'm OCing my 3200+ (though much slower than you OC'd your A64) and am at 2.23 Ghz right now :)

yay, OC!

 
Ah ok, sorry, I thought you were being general about the A64, but yes, they are pretty kick ass for folding, I use my main rig with my A64 to fold whenever I am not gaming, or doing CPU intensive work.
 
The A64 2800+ that I won from the first contest runs at 2.4ghz and does awesome at folding. Nice and fast. And since it only folds it's even faster.

-Mn Scout
 
I noticed that my A64 system does alot better than the older XP CPUs, even at the same speed. I think it's the SSE2 boost that they get with some work units.
 
Bill Clo said:
I noticed that my A64 system does alot better than the older XP CPUs, even at the same speed. I think it's the SSE2 boost that they get with some work units.

Actually, a bit of it has to do with the A64 being more efficient than the XP's. Also, while it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference since folding is very mhz dependent, the on-die mem controller probably helps even though that would be part of the efficiency boost.

 
yeah I just recently upgraded fomr an XP (barton core) 2500+ that folded decent.... to the a64 3200+ venice core in barely a month now I have as many WUs on this machine as the old setup was at.... a64s fold like crazy
 
Back
Top