Would you upgrade this PC ?

rinaldo00

2[H]4U
My family has had a few health issuses lately and I need something to pick up my spirits so I thought maybe I would upgrade my PC.

This is a gaming machine ONLY. Right now I am finishing FarCry 3 and Hitman Absolution. Then I plan on playing Crysis 3 and Metro LL.

I am using a 30" Del 3011 at 2560 x 1600. I could never get into multi-display gaming.

Here are my current specs.

CPU Core i5-2500k
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD65
RAM Patriot Extreme Performance Sector 5 G Series 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) (Two 4GB Memory Modules)
GPU Galaxy GTX 680 4GB - 2 in SLI
HD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB SSD
HD 1 TB Toshiba HD
PSU Topower Power Bird 1100 W
Case HP Blackbird Full Tower
OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Money is no object, I got a $5000 bonus from work a few months ago that is just sitting in the bank. So, would you upgrade this PC now and if so how?

Thanks

No. Just buy new games if you don't already own them.

Looks plenty capable to me. Are you having any framerate issues?

replace the cooler (stock? don't see one mentioned there) and OC the processor a bit and call it done.

call me insane but if you have no need for the bonus money you could invest it somewhere.

Have you considered case modding? That's what I'm doing right now. It would certainly give it a fresh look aesthetically.

Looks plenty capable to me. Are you having any framerate issues?

replace the cooler (stock? don't see one mentioned there) and OC the processor a bit and call it done.

call me insane but if you have no need for the bonus money you could invest it somewhere.

Correct, stock cooler.

FPS issues? Well, FC3 maxed out on Ultra is getting abou 49-50 FPS on average, damn good really. But I'm worried about Crysis 3 and Metro LL

Invest where? I'm a nervous investor. Right now in the bank I get under 1 % interest :(

Last edited:
Have you considered case modding? That's what I'm doing right now. It would certainly give it a fresh look aesthetically.

This case is tough to mod, and well, looks cool enough as is :)

hp-blackbird.jpg

Really not much for you to upgrade unless you just want to waste money. So do you want to waste money?

If not, just add a 3rd party HSF like the Corsair H80i or the Noctua NH-D14 HSF and start overclocking. Pretty much all that you can upgrade within reason. Just buy new games.

I was thinking of selling my two 680s and buying two 780s. Dumb idea?
Not really worth it. You will see a performance increase but that increase won't be enough to justify the upgrade costs unless it's only $100 or less.

Get a projector if you are ok with 1080p.
The Optoma HD25 (white) or the HD131X (black) are dirt cheap, 1080p, very bright, do 6000hrs in eco mode, really good image quality and are 3D as well !
The response is lightning quick as well.

Not much need for an upgrade inside the box. I suppose you could get more ram or swap the CPU for one slightly faster. A 30" is about as good as it gets unless you'd rather have surround and/or 120Hz.

I don't see anything about audio though. If you want to blow some cash I'd do a sound upgrade. Get a nice sound card (swap the mainboard if you have to... maybe proc & ram while you're at it), then put together a surround sound system with full sized components. Amp + preamp or receiver, bookshelf or tower speakers, and maybe a sub. (The sub isn't always needed if you get large enough tower speakers...)

Custom Waterloop. CPU block, and GPU blocks, then OC your ass off.

You'll thank me later.

/thread

I was thinking of selling my two 680s and buying two 780s. Dumb idea?

Not really worth it. You will see a performance increase but that increase won't be enough to justify the upgrade costs unless it's only $100 or less.

Agreed. I've got a single GTX660 and it handled Crysis 3 fine at 1080p. Didn't crank up AA all the way but the detail level was cranked up.

NEVER get into surround gaming? n this guy is trying to ask how to upgrade?

heres a good upgrade, send me the 500. and then u can mod ur case with nothing. its the same thing as spending more money on your system except you'll become a better person xD

Time to invest in a nice set of headphones, an amp for the headphones, and a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound setup.

Back