Would You Rent Photoshop for $49 a Month?

Hmm, I might have to do that for indesign. I want to lay out a poster (presenting some research at a conference), and getting a license from work for the private laptop I'd be using is a multi-month bureaucratic process. Getting reimbursed for one month of usage should be much simpler.

I'm confused as to the logic here. Photoshop just doesn't seem like one of the applications you only need once. If you use it, you probably use it enough to purchase it and always have access to it. It's not really a program you can just pick up and use, and I don't see the point in learning it, just to use it for a month or two and stop.

Hell, even if you are taking a class on it, you can probably buy an academic license for cheaper than $300 you'd spend "renting" it for 6 months. Who does Adobe think the target market is for this?

Photoshop is way to powerful for the average user I have used it for some years now and I don't even use 1/10th of it. There are other cheaper programs out there that will fill 90 of the public's needs and some are free. 4.99 to 9.99 a moth you have my attention but 50 there nuts.

Yearly is almost as much as a full seat of the software. Some people do not upgrade on every cycle. I used CS till last year (kept getting files in CS4/CS5 format). I had a contract where I got a hard drive full of 3DS Max models and I don't own 3DS Max. I had to call up a friend to convert them and send them back to me. If Autodesk had something like that, I would rent it for a month.

I use After Effects twice a year if that. So to rent it for a month is a very good deal (when CS6 comes out). Now if After Effects was my bread and butter, I'd buy it out right.

Make it $20 until such time as you've paid the full cost (maybe even a bit more than the app would typically cost) and we'll see.

Making it $50 from here to eternity seems like way too much of a money grab.

Think outside of the business. For example, a couple wants to make their own wedding invites and rents Photoshop for a month to make it. A family came home from vacation and wants to crop all of their photos and it'll only take a couple days. There's many different non-business scenarios that could benefit this subscription plan.

Yes, there are other cheaper software out there, but Adobe has brand recognition going for them with Photoshop. People are going to consider Photoshop - even more so when it's affordable with a monthly use subscription.

If anyone I knew paid $50 (much less $650) just to crop some images I would personally smack them.

That function is so trivially basic that it exists in just about every piece of image editing software out there and it's stupidly simple to do in pretty much every one of them too.

Please tell me there is at least full support built into this price and it isn't an "optional extra".

I would pay per hour of USE but not per year, month, week or day.

They should make it so you can put the monthly charge towards the full version. If you use it 3 months and you decide you want the full version, you get $150 off the full price.

For quick image/psd editing I use pixlr.com.

They should make it so you can put the monthly charge towards the full version. If you use it 3 months and you decide you want the full version, you get $150 off the full price.

For quick image/psd editing I use pixlr.com.

Interesting... didn't know about this. This has full psd control? So I could take a psd file and convert it into pretty much any layered image file? (and run with that from GIMP)

I could see this really working out for small teams that just need it a few months out of the year. Instead of buying the whole shebang just rent it as needed.

interesting that they would try and charge that much when you can get elements pretty cheap, use nearly all of it free online, or get a student edition cheaper..hrmm..

Renting Photoshop. If you're renting it, then it's probably likely you don't need the full power of Photoshop. My as well buy a cheaper $100 alternative or go with freeware.

Heck, I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 7.04 (c. 2001, when it was still Jasc). Still does almost everything I need it to, although the way the Text tool renders font is a bit primitive...

I still use Photoshop 4.01 on XP. I bought it as a student and back then even student version was $650.00 CAD, if you were not a student it cost $950.00 CAD, and that was before taxes. Illustrator, Pagemaker all cost around $950.00 CAD in retail back then. Ridiculous price for what you get too.

Skimmed thread - I would "Rent to Own" it for 50 bucks. As soon as 650 rolls around it is mine!

those saying $50 is too much clearly have no real use of Photoshop and i mean real use, not just cropping some pics of putting on some built in filter.

Photoshop isnt for %90 of the people who use it, go use gimp cause it will likely work fine, Photoshop is inline with the rest of the software for price for what it does, because professionals who do use it and know how to use it, make $50 in seconds or minutes a day, same with Office and other applications where using the applications is usually part of someone's job.

If anyone I knew paid $50 (much less $650) just to crop some images I would personally smack them.

That function is so trivially basic that it exists in just about every piece of image editing software out there and it's stupidly simple to do in pretty much every one of them too.

Please tell me there is at least full support built into this price and it isn't an "optional extra".

It was a very simplified example. I hope you already knew that.

those saying $50 is too much clearly have no real use of Photoshop and i mean real use, not just cropping some pics of putting on some built in filter.

Photoshop isnt for %90 of the people who use it, go use gimp cause it will likely work fine, Photoshop is inline with the rest of the software for price for what it does, because professionals who do use it and know how to use it, make $50 in seconds or minutes a day, same with Office and other applications where using the applications is usually part of someone's job.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Photoshop has one major thing going for it - brand recognition. I can almost guarantee that your mom and dad and your next door neighbor never heard of Gimp before. Adobe just might be able to get away with it.

Fortunately for most average Joe and Jane, Photoshop Elements is bundled with most OEM computers or that digital camera they just bought.

If you REALLY need PS then you will buy it. The people "renting" the software are better off buying PS Elements for $80. The other people that just want to try PS are better off with PAINT.NET or GIMP.

Yeah, or something like
http://pixlr.com/editor/

Especially for those that have used PS in the past, it's a easy transition.

$50 a month is too much. A professional who is going to be using it constantly, is going to just buy the program outright. It's cheaper in the long run.

CS5, $650
Subscription, $600 a year

CS6 upgrade (when they come out with one), $200 or less.
Subscription, still $600 a year.

I could potentially see this. I've been looking into irrigation design software as it looks to be less work to design a new one than to completely replace my sprinkler system than to fix the existent one (if you could only see some of the horrors I've uncovered in my initial fix-work...)

While I've found some free basic CAD programs, I've not found anything free that's specialized for irrigation (not even for personal home use). What I have found however is one that lets you buy outright or license for $30/month. I'm thinking $30 for automation of the hydraulics calculations required to get a plan that'll pass permitting will be worth it.

sounds like a page from the apple camp, like renting tv shows... lol

Back