• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Would you consider this stable?

Icherkasov

n00b
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
19
3900mhz195x20777186023p.jpg


Thoughts? I can (but don't necessarily want to) go higher on the Vcore. This is just 3.9ghz... :mad:
 
As people have said, no that's definitely not stable.

It hit an error at 45mins, so I'd back it down a bit or bump the voltage slightly.(though it is already running pretty hot, so proceed with caution)
 
Wasn't 20 passes of prime considered stable?

It runs just fine, and I can run prime for hours on end.
 
Wasn't 20 passes of prime considered stable?

It runs just fine, and I can run prime for hours on end.

Then consider it stable for your needs. Roll with it, and if it crashes during your regular use, then you can look at backing it down.

You don't necessarily need to run prime for a week straight, unless you require a system with that level of stability.
 
Maximum 86* temp? You need better cooling. Also, that Vcore is already way high to reach that. I'd improve the cooling then try seeing if you can lower Vcore.
 
/facepalm. It's below Intel's max specification of 1.4v. It's also far below the TJmax of 100c.

My CPU is a mediocre clocker, I can't help that it needs alot of voltage to reach these speeds. When new, it was so comically convex, that on stock settings and stock cooler it reached 90c... It's been lapped to 1500 grit, and I'm using a Megahalems with two CM R4s. Temps are as low as their going to get with air.

Here's an update:

untitle2d.png


I'm a firm believer that as long as voltages are not ridiculous, and you are stable, you can hit high(er) temps without issue... Besides, this is LinX, I don't think i've ever seen the CPU go over 65c load during normal use.
 
Id personally back down. Hotter days and rendering/multi tasking have given me more fustrations than anything else. Theres nothing more agonizing than watching a render reach 98% after 3 hours and having it crash on you.
Whats your closest stable setting?
 
/facepalm. It's below Intel's max specification of 1.4v. It's also far below the TJmax of 100c.

My CPU is a mediocre clocker, I can't help that it needs alot of voltage to reach these speeds.

Just because it's a mediocre overclocker, I wouldn't take that as a license to go right to 1.4v (especially so with air cooling). I think you just need to back it down a bit and accept it for what it is.

If you're going for LinX stable, and it fails LinX, then it isn't stable. If you're just going for boot-into-Windows stable, then that's a different story.

It seems like you've already got a fixed opinion on this and you were just looking for someone else to agree.
 
< TJMax does NOT! necessarily mean it's acceptable. Your computer will get unstable long before that. TJmax is when the CPU will PHYSICALLY fail.
 
Last edited:
You see... going from socket 775 and my multitude of 4ghz chips, I can't help but see my epeen wilting at an alarming rate with this CPU.

Guess I need to figure something out, I recently picked up an 870 and resold it because it was only marginally better than this CPU... just my luck...
 
Don't try to do and F@H with that system like that.. It will fail any work units you try to run on it unless you are forcing it to run on only 1 or 2 threads.

Even with 50+ passes of LinX at the 4GB test it is not necessarily stable enough to run full load F@H.
 
Don't try to do and F@H with that system like that.. It will fail any work units you try to run on it unless you are forcing it to run on only 1 or 2 threads.

Even with 50+ passes of LinX at the 4GB test it is not necessarily stable enough to run full load F@H.

Some stock machines can have troubles with F@H.

My opinion: If I can do a full day of prime torture, then there's a really good chance that anything in my normal use won't be taking it down.
 
Why did you bump vcore with an error after 10-15 minutes? Have you tried upping vvt as that is what is normal for an error after the 10-15 minute range when using lots of memory.

Also notice your gflop numbers? Unless you have some other program running like Real Temp, Core Temp, CPU-z, etc then the spread from the highest to lowest is too much. .05 is the max in my book with less being better.
 
I hate my luck, I've tried three Lynnfields with HT, and I've had fairly bad luck every time - every CPU is mediocre at best...
 
Any error under 12 hours (even under 18 hours) is considered very unstable to me.

You should also try to lower your temps. Id try to keep it under 80c for everyday usage.
 
I loosened the ram TRAS and passed 50 with flying colors.

The temps don't go over 70c daily lol, this is just LinX.
 
please refer to the red bar the says, ' stopped upon error after ------'

that means its not stable... your stabilty issue may well be due to the heat... try backing the voltage down a bit at see if the error goes away, what cooler are you using?

Intel cpu's can start have errors as early as 75c on an overclocked rig
 
There we go, picked up another 870, L923B426T. Ram is loose because I increased 50mhz and wanted to exclude ram instability. Now to lower voltages, so far it looks stable at 1.25v vcore and 1.8v vPLL and 1.125 vPCH. Very good chip :D

Don't mind the temps, I have a feeling the IHS is either convex or concave as my 860 was. I'll lap it when I have some free time.

8704ghz75pass.jpg
 
Some stock machines can have troubles with F@H.
....
If I had a stock machine that couldn't do f@h without error, I would say there's something wrong with the machine.

This is how I test whether an overclock is stable. I've had overclocks go 5 days before failing f@h with a blue screen (or other obvious error). IMO, still not stable.

So, to the OP, I wouldn't consider it stable after 2.5 hours (your last post), though it looks better than the fail in your first post.
 
Kind of a dumb question to ask on the internet, because all the elitists come out of the woodwork and expect everyone to conform to their standards. If it never crashes under anything you use it for.....its kind of like a tree falling in the woods when no one is around to hear it. Does it matter?

I clocked my xeon at work up to where it would get errors in prime, but I could never get it to error in anything else.
 
So just because you don't get an error in other apps (that let you know) means that your not getting an error?

I can pass a 50 loop run of full memory with my overclock on my 920. If I run memtest86+ and loop test 5 after about 18 hours guess what? Two errors show up. But I just passes LinX that took about 3.5 hours to complete.

So is that stable? My next question would be: Would a stock clocked system do this? If no, why would you settle for less than accurate 100% of the time?
 
I clocked my xeon at work up to where it would get errors in prime, but I could never get it to error in anything else.

but for all you know it's giving you bad data as a result... why would you do this on a work machine... I mean on a gaming machine it's bad enough but work machines... that's just wrong
 
would you consider this stable? it only happens when I listen to music, take a nap, type a paper, play a game, fart, surf the web, watch porn, or download something

Polar-BlueScreenOfDeath.jpg
 
There we go, picked up another 870, L923B426T. Ram is loose because I increased 50mhz and wanted to exclude ram instability. Now to lower voltages, so far it looks stable at 1.25v vcore and 1.8v vPLL and 1.125 vPCH. Very good chip :D

Don't mind the temps, I have a feeling the IHS is either convex or concave as my 860 was. I'll lap it when I have some free time.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5745/8704ghz75pass.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Unless you had something else open still needs work. Even if you did have RT and something else open the results are too far spread from high to low.

[quote="EricFX1984, post: 1036258335"]would you consider this stable? it only happens when I listen to music, take a nap, type a paper, play a game, fart, surf the web, [B]watch porn[/B], or download something

[IMG]http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/ericfx1984/Polar-BlueScreenOfDeath.jpg

Ah, there's the problem. Porn watching the ultimate stress tester? :p
 
Unless you had something else open still needs work. Even if you did have RT and something else open the results are too far spread from high to low.



Ah, there's the problem. Porn watching the ultimate stress tester? :p

that and the ultimate stress reliever :D
 
If you're having problems with multiple CPUs I'd change out the PSU or get a new MB.
 
Spread is because I'm an impatient man, and I have other programs up (relatively non intrusive) during LinX. 100 passes is stable enough for me, I'll get back to you guys and eat my shorts if I have a single crash.
 
LinX & Prime, each for at least a couple hours with reasonable temps is just a starting point.

Has to also be able to run with a room temp of 80-85F degrees during the summer with no crashes under normal use & video compression.

My i7 860 runs great with the BCLK at 160Mhz with Turbo on. Single threaded apps run at up to 4Ghz, and under full load it clocks down the 3.5 ghz. Found this was the best overall settings for thr chip, as the increased voltage & clock to get to 3.6 Ghz created too much heat.
 
After a little fiasco with degrading MGH-E, I'm stable again. This time 200 passes:

8704ghz200passcas8.jpg


How much more do you people want?!?!? :p
 
Back
Top