Would this PSU work?

I would not suggest any 380w PSU for that system. With an OCed Quad and 88** GPU, personally I would be looking for about 30a or more on the 12v rail or rails.

i was able to run the system in my sig with an antec basiq 400w without any problems, but that was just while I waiting for my corsair to come in :cool:

I think as long as you stay away from any overclocking you would probably be ok

With all the money tied up in your system you can surely purchase an adequate psu, and the one you have listed is NOT adequate for that rig.

Personally, I would not run it. Your CPU and your GPU, even at stock are closing in on 300w (aka 25a) just on the 12v rail. A PSU under that type of stress is not a good idea IMO. Also, are talking about an Antec Neo or Earthwatts?

Would it be safe to buy it and run it without overclocking before I buy a new PSU?

Better safe then sorry. Hopefully you go with a good name brand like corsair. I bought mine for when i upgrade to a q6600 and 8800gt/3870.

You could always just try it and see if it works, it might not even boot.

They don't make PSUs anymore. They buy and re-brand other PSUs from other companies IIRC.

Now the power supply that comes with case is an Earthwatts, so it's Seasonic made. Which means they are of good quality. However, if Mike Clement's numbers are true, which most likely they are, then I concur with his assessment. It's really pushing the PSU since it only has 27A on the +12V rails.

So basically, if you want that case, get a new power supply. Or drop the quad-core.

Dropping the quad core would allow me to keep the stock PSU? If I stayed with Core 2 Duo would I be able to overclock it?

I am not commenting on the quality of the PSU brand name in question here. My point is that with the listed gear you are probably going to be running the 12v rail at or near 100% or even possibly be overloading the 12v rails. Regardless of quality, this is best avoided.

Dropping the quad core would allow me to keep the stock PSU? If I stayed with Core 2 Duo would I be able to overclock it?

Dropping down to an E4500 or E6550/E6750 CPU should be enough I guess. But no overclocking. Remember that the case was meant for a HTPC and most HTPCs aren't overclocked mid to high-end gaming rigs.

So with that said, the PSU should be enough with an E4500 or an E6550/E6750 CPU. Though I'm not 100% sure on that.

We also don't know at what temperature that Antec is rated at, and if it's < 40°C, what's the de-rating curve?

I would be hesitant just based on that alone unless someone can show me what these units are rated at.

EDIT: Found on Antec's site it's actually 50°C. You'd think their marketing folks would like to point that out.

I think I'm just going to go with a completely different case and power supply. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Back