Would the double precision of the Titan make a signifant difference in transcoding?

Noetic

[H]ard|Gawd
I am presently using Nero Recode and a 680GTX for transcoding. Just wondering if the Titan would make all that more of a difference, or would a second 680 on the cheapish.

The actual compute performance of the Titan is faster, so it will transcode faster but that has nothing to do with its double precision. It's architecturally different from the 680.

and I must say transcoding/encoding is the absolute worst thing you can use a GPU for. While it may be fast it's many moons behind CPU encoding with regards to absolute quality.

Videophiles have legit nightmares about the impossibly random results GPU encoding gives birth to.

and I must say transcoding/encoding is the absolute worst thing you can use a GPU for. While it may be fast it's many moons behind CPU encoding with regards to absolute quality.

Videophiles have legit nightmares about the impossibly random results GPU encoding gives birth to.

Not entirely true, depends on which program you use and how its implemented. DVFAB uses CUDA acceleration and so does TMPGEnc and both do just fine with encodes. I think where GPU acceleration gets a bad reputation is with low tier software that tries to use GPU accleration to do all of the work and the results are shoddy because they sacrifice quality for speed. I've done literally hundreds if not a thousand encodes through DVDFAB and TMPGEnc using CUDA accleration and none of them have any strange anomalies or lack in quality, but then again, I always use the highest quality settings when I encode.

Thank you for the replies.

I would assume that software end might need to catch up to the improvement in the Titan. If double precision has no effect on the outcome, then the 780GTX should suffice. Sli would not help, I gather.

I have not seen any anomalies (so far) using the Nero product. Admittedly, I have been using then chiefly on animation. I have DVFab, but have yet to use it for my current project.

For the most part I still use handbrake for my Blu Rays.

Back