Would My System Benefit From An USB DAC?

kage

n00b
I have a 13" Apple MacBook Pro and the Logitech Z623 speakers. I would like to know if my setup would benefit from an USB DAC? I have my eye on the Audioquest DragonFly v1.2.

You'd no doubt see some benefit from utilizing a USB DAC vs onboard, however you really would see a bigger difference by just selling your existing setup and upgrading to better quality speakers. And that's not just for your Logitech Z623 speakers, but for ANY speakers out there.

Maybe it's just me, but in my experience DACs on low-to-mid end setups are kinda pointless when you should be focused on getting the best speakers/headphones you can afford first, DAC second. The audible difference will be much greater as you move to better speakers versus having the same speakers + DAC.

Xinmosni hit the nail on the head. Will a DAC make a difference? Yes, but not a huge difference with basic multimedia PC speakers.

Some proper bookshelf speakers or near-field monitors (or quality headphones) would make the upgrade far more noticeable.

For an entry level DAC, I find it hard to knock the Monoprice 11567 solid state DAC+Amp combo. It is a USB DAC that features RCA Line-out, RCA Pre-amp out and 1/4" headphone outputs so it will work for powered and unpowered speakers as well as headphones.

The Dragonfly is a nice piece of kit too, much smaller and sleeker, cool effects with the multicolored lights too. Good sound, the v1.2 fixes most of the gripes about the v1 being a little too bright with certain playback equipment. The Z623's won't be able to do it justice. My only complaint with the dragonfly is that I don't like the physical design, there's a lot of leverage placed on the poor USB port after plugging in the stereo wire unless you get a USB extension cord or have some way to support things.

For an entry level micro-DAC I (if you need something more portable than the monoprice combo) you might check out the HifimeDIY Saber U2 DAC. It doesn't have the pretty lights or the dragonfly, but it does a very faithful job reproducing recordings (great for good recordings, possibly not the best choice for poor recordings). Physically it has a flexible cord between the USB plug and the DAC hardware to reduce strain. It's also less than half the price of the Dragonfly :eek:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've said this before, but I think It's worth repeating here:

Generally, I have found DACs in notebook computers to be total crap. Specifically, when I connect a quality pair of headphones into a notebook, there is typically white noise and when connected to AC power, a deet-deet-deet sound.

That being said, neither of the MacBook Pros, that I have owned, have had these issues. Furthermore, if you have anything that will accept a TOSlink optical signal, a cable like this:
http://www.amazon.com/6ft-Toslink-M...382745&sr=8-2&keywords=minijack-toslink+cable
would allow you to connect to a shelf system, AV reciever, or other external system with it's own DAC. (quick glance through MacTracker indicates that all 13" Macbook Pros DO have the combination optical/analog jack.) THis would give you the option to chose nearly any standalone DAC. it would however mean that system sounds would come through to the DAC as well. (USB would appear as another output device, allowing you to route your music to the USB interface and system sounds to the internal speakers.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm just going to echo Xinmosni, because he got it right first try :)

Focus on your speakers first. They're easily the weakest link in your current setup.

I'd combine tdowning's answer with Xinmosni's answer... If your onboard DAC is unclean and you get audibly poor SNR, then yes, add a DAC. If you do not hear SNR issues in your signal then you should only consider spending money on speaker upgrades. Some machines do have SNR problems, and laptops are more susceptible to that.

Back