WotLK has been out for awhile now. What's the verdict, WoWers?

semisonic9

Gawd
I haven't played since early Season 3, when my laptop vid card died. After the 30-45 days of "WoW detox" I got over "WoW addiction" and I realized I'd become really bored with the game. It was eating up a large chunk of my life and I wasn't even enjoying it that much. Once a die-hard PvP nut, I realized a) casters were becoming absurdly weak in PvP due to a variety of reasons and b) PvP in WoW wasn't all that great to begin with. That left raiding, which was diverting for awhile but not enough to keep me around forever. I liked the Sunwell content, but was pretty unhappy with both my main characters (Priest, Warlock) and have absolutely NO interest in grinding up a new character from scratch.

That said, I'm bored with TF2 and its "new game" time. I tried WAR. Didn't care for it much.

How's WotLK? PvE? PvP? I'm kind of assuming PvP continues to suck. Like CoH and other MMOs I've tried, PvP just doesn't seem to represent a top priority for MMO development teams. WAR was different, sure. I still think WAR has a lot of interesting features, but the game just didn't "grab" me.

If I come back I'm left with the choice of leveling my Warlock or Priest. Neither really appeal to me. Then there's the opportunity to make the worlds 6 millionth Death Knight. Woo hoo! Still, if I can save myself 55 levels of grinding, I'd probably give the DK class a go.

If you ever liked WoW, you will love WOTLK. That being said, ive done alot of the content in WOTLK and now im done playing again. :)

I havent logged om in a couple of weeks but I still play. PVP in lake wintergrasp is a blast IMO, I cant speak for arenas as I have never set foot in one.

I like it but i'm a fairly casual player right now, maybe 10-15 hours a week on it.
My lock is 80 but i am using him mainly as a gold provider for my other toons, 75 DK and 64 hunter.

If you want to try out other classes but hate leveling do the recruit a friend, I was able to level two guys to 60 just under 3 days played over about a week. You still have to get thru outlands but it is much faster now...think i left outlands at 68 on my DK and didn't touch 2/3rds of the quest content in the outlands.

Still fun for me. If i had more time to actually play like i used to and raid a bit I beleive i would say it is better than BC.

It's pretty good. You may want to rethink the priest thing because the damage a shadowpriest puts out right now is disgusting. We're talking like 4-5k range consistently. That's if you're good.

I've been raiding and pvping. I play a DK. None of the fights are super hard, but sarth 3 drakes is pretty much the most difficult. The atmospheres while leveling up are quite amazing. I loved it. PvP is alot of burst damage at the moment. But healers are starting to shine through

I am enjoying the new new areas and if you haven't played with a DK, they are fun.

I guess im the odd one out. I am a little dissapointed with WOTLK now that I have 2 80s and have settled in.

PVE: Very "accessible". There is no more Sunwell/Black Temple type raid where it takes a LOT of time and work to get into. 25 mans are too easy and are now boring. We cleared Naxx 10 and 25 man in the first week of having enough 80s to fill the spots. Nobody had any T7 and most people were wearing early questing blues. Balance is all kinds of screwed up right now. Hybrid classes are out dpsing PURE dps classes but large amounts. It was fun at first, now that everything is on farm, its boring.

PVP: I love pvp. I love arenas, I DO love wintersgrasp (which has been disabled since tuesdays patch and there is no eta on when its going back up). You have to be the right class now though. Deathknights are insanely overpowered (check the pvp boards). Arenas are still fun, but healers are almost useless in 2s and 3s.

Overall: My alts keep me playing. The new area is so different and there is so much to do that it didn't get boring leveling. My main started on one side of northrend and quested to the other. My alts started on the other side. After spending so much time in BC endgame, I went back and started leveling a few new classes to enjoy the empty questing areas in the 1-60 zones.

I am completely disappointed. WoW has turned into a casual players paradise. The quests to me in Northrend suck. After doing them once and attempting to level my second toon it's just mind numbingly boring. My first toon to 80 was a prot warrior. Was fun while it lasted but after clearing all the content it starts sucking quickly. The replay-ability has diminished so much. The PvP is so imbalanced right now also. So, I'm laying down wow and going to goto Warhammer. And if I don't like warhammer I'm done with MMORPG's for good and go back to my first love of fps games...

Blizz have stated many times that the current raids are 'undertuned' so that casuals have a chance to participate, and not get frustrated like the original Karazhan. Ulduar will be much harder, but that doesn't come out from probably a couple of months.

My guild only raids twice a week and, now that we have Naxx-25 down to a 1-night clear, we can start working properly on OS with 2 drakes and EoE.

I respec PvP on Thursdays, and I like BG's and Arena, even though I have a lock. I plan on just having fun, getting honor and whatever arena points I can, and hope for the rumored Warlock overhaul.

I find it a lot of fun, you just have to mix it up. I also have a 75 Druid and 74 Warrior if I get bored, but I havent touched them in weeks because 1 character has enough going on.

IMO Original WoW > WoTLK > ........................................ > BC
The only problem I am having, because I am a DK, is finding a guild and a group for heroics

I respec PvP on Thursdays, and I like BG's and Arena, even though I have a lock. I plan on just having fun, getting honor and whatever arena points I can, and hope for the rumored Warlock overhaul.

Oh don't set yourself up for disappointment, there won't be an "overhaul" :). GC said there will be some significant changes and adjustments but it probably won't be a revamp of a spec or the class as a whole. Demonology is particularly getting some attention.

Anyway I'm having fun doing "regular" stuff in WotLK with my mage. I'm not casual, but I'm not an avid raider either. I'll probably PUG 2-3 heroic dungeons a day and do some Wintergrasp PvP. The only raids I've done regularly were 10/25-man Vault PUGs, which are really easy. Loving the new Arcane PvE changes. It changed greatly since classic WoW and TBC.

But now that I got all gear I need from emblems of heroism, I'll probably start PUGgin 10-man Naxx groups to try my luck there. I really like the fact that it's possible to have that kind of accessability.

I got Wotlk at launch and startd leveling my, at the time, main. After 2-3 levels I decided that I would give my Death Knight a try. The questing from 55-58 on my Dk was some of the funnest questing and overall plot developing that I have done on WoW. Being eveil for a change was extremely enjoyable. My guild progressed through mostly all of the PVE content and we were farming Naxx. PVE is still what it was and Wintersgrasp is interesting. Although due to server problems, that many people in a condensed area made lag and stuttering a huge, unenjoyable, issue. I have since stopped playing and am waiting for the next content patch.

so anyone/group killed Arthas yet????

No, because that isn't until a much later patch... kinda like Illidan wasn't added in BC until patch 2.4 (I believe)

Personally WOTLK is awesome. Haven't had this much fun since classic WoW. BC wasn't that much fun... really had no will to play the game as much as I did regular WoW. The things they have added to the game make it absolutely awesome. Like stated above, the Death Knight starting area is amazing, the story and plot is definitely worth going through even if you aren't going to play a death knight to 80. The zones in northrend are also awesome... I loved the two starter zones (Borean Tundra and Howling Fjord). Icecrown is also one of my favorite zones. Everyone says Naxxramas is really easy compared to previous raids, but I am enjoying it regardless. I am in a guild that just started doing 10 man Naxx and I love it.

PVE - Same thing as before. So if you liked it back then you'll like it now :) Some of the new quest lines are pretty damn fun though.
PVP - Sucks. Average arena match is what... 20sec now? No strategy required. Burst damage is ridiculous.

I was laid off when WotLK was released. I got a warlock to 80 within 4 or 5 days of release. I had fun leveling and did most of the quest lines. I was abe to experience all WotLK raid content as a pugger. It got boring really fast.

PVE content = Pretty fun, really accessible, quick to become boring.
Wintergrasp = Fun...very nice change to pvp maps, good place to farm mats as well.

I quit playing in early December. I do miss it, but probably wouldn't go back if I had the time to. I have been checking other games out.

Just resucbribed after a year and a half and am having fun. Like others i'm just a casual player and just have fun with that and the occasional PuG or raids.
As long as you don't play it to excess it's a fun diversion. DK's are real fun also.

I have been playing on and off since release. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of WotLK. Our guild cleared Sunwell in BC prior to the many nerfs it received, and raiding so far in LK is just an absolute joke. The only fight even remotely difficult is Sartharion 25 man with 3 drakes up. This all comes from a raider's perspective though, have never been into 5 or 10 mans as much. On the plus side leveling from 70-80 in LK was actually enjoyable, it didn't feel like a chore.

Also I was really into arena's in BC and got the Gladiator title 3 of the 4 seasons on a competitive BG (as a Rogue). Arenas are a complete joke due in part to the huge influx of DK's and the huge burst potential so many classes have now (hybrids even). Every bracket, even in the higher ranks (2k+), seems to be strictly about who can zerg who down quickest - with minimal CC or strategy. If you aren't into Arena it's probably a non-issue though.

I ran out and bought the game as soon as as it came out. I rolled a Death Knight on my secondary server to play with friends and had a BLAST up until I went to Northrend. The few levels there were frankly pretty boring for me and I found myself not even wanting to log on to do some more of the leveling grind, so it took me quite a bit longer to hit 80 than all of my friends. I finally got to 80, and most of them were doing their own things so I found myself having less and less reason to log on. Eventually, my account ran out and I said "what's the point" and haven't played in over a month now. No point in paying money for a game that I dread logging into.

I've been using that free time to look for a job and get back into BF2. I look back wonder what in the world possessed me to waste that much time in that silly game. I don't even miss it in the least. Oh well, maybe the spark will reignite someday. In the meantime, need to come up with some money so I can buy a new rig and play some of the new stuff. I haven't bought anything but WoW games in the last 3 years :(

Back