Worthwhile to invest in a $50 xonar or creative sound card for sound recording?

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, I'm not much of a sound person, but I am building a computer for my brother that requires some level of sound goodness. He likes to record himself singing and possibly talking too (not for professional purposes at least to my knowledge). More of a hobby. I have a pretty tight budget, but I'd like to get a better quality sound card in there if its worthwhile.

However, I just dont know if its worthwhile to invest in one or not. Would he be able to notice a difference between onboard sound and brand name sound? I am budgeting around $50 for a card.

I'm going to assume that the recordings will be played back via headphones or 2piece shitty speakers (and yeah I understand that better speakers/headphones will improve the quality of these 'sounds', but I think thats something already being taken care of).

So anyway, answer away! Thanks!

What is the sound chip on your motherboard? The Realtech 889 is the best I've seen specs for, the 892 second.
Not currect on sound cards, last I knew Xonar were preferred, I've seen it claimed a $40-50 sound card is better than than any motherboard for recording, The specs for an on board 889 are very good.
Where that leaves you..
Generaly better sound quality makes even cheap speakers sound better.
Listen to the same song played from a CD then an mp3.

Last edited:
Hmm, my current motherboard (possible choice to upgrade to while I upgrade to something else) is the MSI 870a-54 with the Realtek® ALC892.

The other possible motherboard choice I have is Asrock p55 extreme with the ALC890 Audio Codec.

Hmm it looks like if i go with the Assrock, I should upgrade the sound card, and with the MSI then onboard sound might be a better choice unless I get something high end?

I'll keep looking, and hopefully more people post so we can keep the knowledge flowing!

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

look into good microphones. there are alot of USB microphones that are good, but they wont matter your sound card

I think, that even a xonar DG, will be an improvement. 25 dollars after rebate.. you can't beat that.
It's really a question of isolation.
With good not amazing headphones, if i'm not listening to anything, I will hear a slight hiss, and extraneous sounds that are leaking into the audio chipset.
This is with an alc892 chipset.

This is of course rectified with a xonar.. in my case an stx. :)

Spend the money.

Last edited:
if you can expand your budget to 100usd for an AT2020 USB variant (important - there is a nonusb variant that requires phantom power), then it's probably as good as it gets below ~~200usd.

Ended up going with the Xonar DG, I'll be looking into your mic suggestions!

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Back